Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Official Forbidden Lands Errata

Tue 19 Apr 2022, 12:26

Hello!

This is the official errata thread for the Forbidden Lands core game. We are currently on the fifth printing of the game. Below, all significant clarifications and changes from previous printings are listed. You can report other suspected errors in this thread, but only this original post is the official errata.

PLAYER'S HANDBOOK:
✥ Page 44: Pushing a successful skill roll is only allowed if rolling additional successes would increase the effect of the roll.
✥ Page 46: The GM cannot gain Willpower Points.
✥ Page 62: The INNER PEACE talent cannot regrow lost limbs.
✥ Page 63: NPCs no longer need Willpower Points to activate kin talents and professional talents.
✥ Page 63: The kin talent for goblins is changed to Nocturnal.
✥ Page 68: The previous Path of Gold talent has been renamed Path of Treasure and mechanically modified.
✥ Page 69: The previous Path of Lies talent has been renamed Path of Words.
✥ Page 78: MELEE CHARGE is a slow action.
✥ Page 101, 103, 106: Prices for some weapons and armor have been modified.
✥ Page 103: The ranges of some weapons have been modified.
✥ Page 105: Cover is not degraded by damage.
✥ Page 108: Healing can be done in combat as a slow action, but not with an enemy at ARM’S LENGTH.
✥ Page 113: Clarifying that poison has no effect on monsters.
✥ Page 120: The base Power Level of a spell cast by an NPC is always equal to the NPC’s rank in the magic discipline.
✥ Page 122: The effects of BIND MAGIC have been modified.
✥ Page 124: Clarifying that MEND WOUNDS cannot regrow lost limbs.
✥ Page 144: New art added.
✥ Page 177: Clarifying the effect of PCs taking part in stronghold battles.
✥ Page 168: The Garden can now also produce HERBS.
✥ Page 180: The typical village healer now has Empathy 4.
✥ Page 184: The effects of the cauldron and field kitchen have been modified.
✥ Page 196, 198: Slit throat and impaled neck kill after D6 rounds.

GAMEMASTER'S GUIDE:
✥ Page 72: Goblins no longer suffer damage from daylight.
✥ Page 215: Several edits have been made to the Weatherstone adventure site.

You can download the complete errata in PDF format from the download page for the game. The PDF includes details on the modifications and edits made, including the complete revised Weatherstone text.
Fria Ligan

pellejones

Re: Official Forbidden Lands Errata

Tue 19 Apr 2022, 13:09

One thing that needs to be added, is what type of damage a throwing axe makes. It is neither blunt, pointy or edged, ergo: broken from it = untyped critical damage.

Nanocactus

Tue 19 Apr 2022, 17:17

Are the pdf from DTRPG updated with the newest errata?

JohanR

Wed 20 Apr 2022, 09:04

Some errata comments about magic.

"In combat, you must spend a fast action readying your grimoire before you can cast the spell". (PHB page 120)
Poor choice of words as "ready" is something explained as something you need to do before each attack with a bow or sling.
This should probably read as "draw", as that is the translation in the Swedish version.
(If not then the error is in the Swedish version and I guess you could need to use a fast action to draw your grimoire, a fast action to ready your grimoire, a fast action to pick up an ingredient and a slow action to cast - so I prefer the Swedish way. OR if drawing ingredients is implied as a free action when taking the action to cast, perhaps that should also be noted in the rules)

On PHB page 120 there is a magic example where a spell uses an ingredients carried by the victim instead of by the caster. This is however probably just a mistranslation from the Swedish version as well, as in the Swedish version she is holding the torch, while in the English version he is. So my interpretation is that you need to use ingredients you hold yourself, unless the ingredients obviously just needs to be around. The english interpretation is a bit more fun though and opens up for more interactions.

The Swedish "Gast" is sometimes translated into Ghoul and sometimes to Ghost, which are not at all the same thing.

Konungr

Thu 21 Apr 2022, 15:23

I think ready is the more correct term.

Here is why: Once you Draw a weapon you have it in hand and you do not need to do it again. When you Ready a Bow or whatever you prep it for its next action. Each time you cast a spell using your Grimoire you need to "Ready" it by turning to the first page in which the spell is recorded (assuming that each spell takes multiple pages or whatever). Draw is a one and done action. Ready is something you need to do over and over throughout the combat. I feel like a Grimoire should be Readied before each spell.

Happy to be told I am wrong, just my take.

JohanR

Thu 21 Apr 2022, 19:05

Yeah, I cannot be sure.

The Swedish version reads:
I strid måste du ägna en kort handling åt att ”dra” boken innan du kan kasta besvärjelsen.
The word "dra" can be translated as:
drag, move, pull, absquatulate, bugger off, divert, draw back, fetch, haul, lug, push, run, tow, trot, tug, unsheathe, draw, skedaddle

The word "Lägga an" is used in the Swedish version for "Ready weapon", while "Dra vapen" is used for "Draw weapon".

The next evidence for this would be that there are descriptions of all the short action you can take on page 87, like "power word", but there are no short "Use Grimoire to safe cast" action listed, only the "Draw weapon" action. Therefore I think that the info (on page 116 Swedish version, 120 in English) was meant to read "you have to draw the book, just like you have to draw a weapon to be able to use it"... but got mistranslated.

I might not be right in my interpretation, but at least you can interpret the Swedish and English versions in different ways.

pellejones

Fri 22 Apr 2022, 22:49

How is Path of the Warcry affected by a change of initiative at the beginning of the next round?

Eg char A has init 1 (acts first) sings a warcry with 2 WP. Next round, switches init with a friend and gets init 10. All PCs would benefit from Warcry until init 10.

So, can you communicate while doing a warcry? A change of initiative requires both parties to be able to speak with each other.

pellejones

Mon 16 May 2022, 23:05

Page 81: Sword Fighter talent.
Rank 1 should read "Your attack and PARRY rolls are modified by +1 when you fight with a sword." (it currently says when you PARRY with a sword. This has lead to a heated debate on reddit).

kylkim

Sun 19 Nov 2023, 19:46

An unlisted change has been the clarification on when actions are refreshed during combat. Description of the issue in another thread. It is now found on p. 86 of the PHB.
"REFRESHING ACTIONS
All actions are refreshed at the beginning of each round. You can never save unused actions from one round to the next."

Dizzyfugu

Mon 20 Nov 2023, 13:11

That makes sense and it might be wornmg to explicitly mention it. But I never perceived it as a problem, since the PHb states that a PC (normally) has a Fast and a Slow action per round. Period. And I wonder how anyone can get the idea that one (or both!) af these action(s) could be "carried over" or saved for the next round?