shane18
Topic Author

Magic mishap “Appearance altered”… thoughts?

Sun 10 Apr 2022, 14:51

Greetings all!
Last night our wizard suffered a magic mishap after casting a clutch spell (Immolate) that turned the tide of combat. The PCs were really having a tough time fighting against a group of Iron Guard soldiers and the battle was very tense. The damage caused by this spell truly saved the day for the PCs, and the fight ended shortly after. (Very fun moment!)

The spell was cast at Power level 3. Mishap was rolled, resulted in #46 which reads, “Your magic permanently alters your appearance. Your GM decides how.”

Our session ended right after combat with plans to pick up right where we left off. No decisions were made regarding what this appearance change would look like. We agreed to cover that at the beginning of the next session.

So… I ask you all for some creative thoughts and ideas! What kinds of things have been fun in your game similar to this? Has this mishap affected one of your players before? If so, how’d it go? Did the spell cast have an impact on the appearance change in some way?

For reference, the sorcerer is a human male (Alderlander), age 30 (adult). Medium to average build (3 Strength and 3 Agility).

Thanks!

Konungr

Re: Magic mishap “Appearance altered”… thoughts?

Sun 10 Apr 2022, 17:04

The skin on the back of his hands and arms is malformed as though melted from severe burns.

Farydia

Sun 10 Apr 2022, 19:03

His head and facial hair turn a flaming red.

or:

The veins on his hands are now permanently visible through his skin, marking them with red lines up to the elbows.

Mr Oldtimer

Sun 10 Apr 2022, 20:57

Not always obvious but something... strange when talking to him. His eyes shimmer in the dark, like embers in a dying fire. And red flames can be seen in his eyes when he looses his temper. Might be a good idea not to be seen in public with those eyes. People might mistake him from something darker, more sinister. And then the witch hunt is on...

shane18
Topic Author

Sun 10 Apr 2022, 21:02

Oh man, these are so good! I really like how this game lets you stretch your creative muscles.

Arnold

Sat 16 Apr 2022, 14:23

The Goblin Necromancer of my group developed a very long nose und large ears with this mishap.

BlissRage

Tue 19 Apr 2022, 04:58

Based on my experience with Mutation mishaps in MYZ causing cosmetic change. LET THE PLAYER choose.
They will be invested and they will likely want to update their character portrait.
I would choose as GM if I had to, but I really want the players coming up with that stuff (with reasonable group vote if something weird comes up with GM veto).

shane18
Topic Author

Mon 23 May 2022, 17:00

Thanks for these great ideas. This input has been helpful. Hard to decide, but in the end we chose this for Harovelde the Sorcerer.

"His left arm, up to the start of his chest area, left side only, has turned a pale, ash gray. The veins are now black and visible like burned, black tracings. There are a few slight burn marks as well. His left hand and fingers darken towards the finger nails, which are black and brittle."

We worked together to come up with the end result. Suggestions here were great. Hard to decide! Lol!

shane18
Topic Author

Mon 23 May 2022, 17:01

The Goblin Necromancer of my group developed a very long nose und large ears with this mishap.
I love this!

shane18
Topic Author

Mon 23 May 2022, 17:05

Based on my experience with Mutation mishaps in MYZ causing cosmetic change. LET THE PLAYER choose.
They will be invested and they will likely want to update their character portrait.
I would choose as GM if I had to, but I really want the players coming up with that stuff (with reasonable group vote if something weird comes up with GM veto).
Great advice here! I really like the idea of using the player's input. We definitely did.