Angelman
Topic Author

Re: Any other individual frustrated by the size of the crate?

Wed 06 Apr 2022, 15:41

I don't understand; are you complaining that there's not enough empty space in the box? On my way-too-crowded shelves, that is certainly a good thing.

In any case, I tend to store dice, card, and GM screen in the Intro Box when I'm traveling. Does that help?
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

Oddball_E8

Thu 07 Apr 2022, 10:23

I don't understand; are you complaining that there's not enough empty space in the box? On my way-too-crowded shelves, that is certainly a good thing.

In any case, I tend to store dice, card, and GM screen in the Intro Box when I'm traveling. Does that help?
There's two camps in this discussion.

The "Why is the box so small, I can't fit anything" camp.

They usually look at the box as a convenient storage box for all kinds of misc. items like dice and markers and even other items that might not be considered by most (like custom ID-cards for narrative one-shots etc.).
These are largely disappointed by the size of the latest Alien boxes.

The other camp is the "why are you complaining, the box takes up too much space in the book shelf already" camp.

They usually see the box as something unnecessary and would have been happier with just a book.
They're more happy with the new smaller size of the boxes, but wouldn't really care if the game came without any box at all.

I'm with the first camp.
And I think it's largely dependent on what you grew up with.
I grew up in the "golden age" of RPG's in Sweden. All the games came in boxes and we stored pretty much everything in the boxes.
To me it also looks better in the bookshelf than having books of various sizes and misc. items strewn all over the place.

Others who grew up with the "hardback" age where all the games came in hardbacks and are used to that, don't see the boxes as anything other than a nuisance.

Personally, I think that if they're gonna go for boxes, then don't go half-way.

There's no point to a box that holds nothing but the books. You could just as well just put the books in the bookshelf then.
I would like to see all the expansions have boxes the same size as the intro boxes. That way I don't have to mess about and switch things from box to box every time I want to bring the game somewhere.
I can have it all in the box I want. If I'm playing Destroyer of Worlds, I have the dice I need, I have the printouts I need, I have the props I need.
It's all in one easy package. But that's not possible with the current size of the Destroyer of Worlds box.

With the Intro box size, it would be possible.
But as it stands, I have to take out all the boxes and rummage through for what I need, and then put that stuff in the intro box (while also finding somewhere to put the stuff that's in the intro box that I don't need).

I'd prefer the bigger box.
Either that, or they might as well not bother with a box.

Angelman
Topic Author

Thu 07 Apr 2022, 13:15

If there are two camps, it sounds like a lose-lose situation, then, for publishers. Someone will complain no matter what you do, so you can just as well go with what cost the least. *shrug*
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

_ArthurDallas_

Thu 07 Apr 2022, 16:59

Third camp is " I don't need a box, I'll put everything in the shelf anyway " and dices go in a small box in the shelf.

Jesus ahahahah!

Oddball_E8

Thu 07 Apr 2022, 19:19

Third camp is " I don't need a box, I'll put everything in the shelf anyway " and dices go in a small box in the shelf.

Jesus ahahahah!
That's pretty much what the second camp is.

Oddball_E8

Thu 07 Apr 2022, 19:22

If there are two camps, it sounds like a lose-lose situation, then, for publishers. Someone will complain no matter what you do, so you can just as well go with what cost the least. *shrug*
Not really.

I mean, you need to commit to either.

Going half way only frustrates both groups.

As someone who's been following FL since they first started out, it seemed to me that they wanted to recreate some of the iconic "box" style releases of the past Swedish RPG's.

But then when they started going international, I assume they got a bunch of comments about the boxes and decided to make smaller boxes instead.

Personally, I want them to pick one, not do this half way stuff.

For me, it just means that the smaller boxes are pretty useless. I could just as well just toss them, really. The only reason I don't is because they look good in the shelf next to the big boxes.

But they're essentially useless for me.

_ArthurDallas_

Thu 07 Apr 2022, 20:45

Come on guys, lets talk about the product not the box ... Jesus man ...

I'll ship you a bigger box myself.

Don't want to dismiss anyone but "the Box", you're not serious.

Oddball_E8

Sun 10 Apr 2022, 11:48

Come on guys, lets talk about the product not the box ... Jesus man ...

I'll ship you a bigger box myself.

Don't want to dismiss anyone but "the Box", you're not serious.
The box is part of the product.

Unless you buy just PDF's or VTT.

If it wasn't, they might as well just ship it in a brown cardboard box that's thrown away after delivery.

PS. I'll take you up on that offer. Please send me a bigger version of the Destroyer of Worlds box. Preferably the size of the introduction box. But with the Destroyer of Worlds artwork. Thank you.

_ArthurDallas_

Mon 11 Apr 2022, 16:25

If I send you a brown box, it's sure you wont be able to put it in your shelf .... ahahah!

keep it up man.

FantomPencil

Mon 11 Apr 2022, 23:17

Maybe Free League should do what Studio Agate do with some releases for their (excellent) Shadows of Esteren RPG: make big, solid A4-sized game storage boxes available as Kickstarter stretch goals/add-ons. So big, you can fit your Hardback rulebooks inside, no problems.

Oh, hang on. Alien doesn't get to go down the KS funding route...

Well that's just great. That's just f*ckin' great, man... ;)