Ptimot
Topic Author

Run Action from Near to Arm's Reach

Tue 22 Mar 2022, 15:06

Just wanted to confirm - to move from near to arm's reach, a player takes the run action as a fast action. The run action is technically a move skill check but s/he doesn't need to roll in this case hence not moving into another zone. Somehow, I felt a roll may be appropriate since the player moves into the opponent's weapon reach? Did I get this all correct?

Oh, and related, what action can a player chose on the other hand to prevent another player to move into arm's length. For instance a staff fighter with near reach wants to keep a sword fighter at distance?

Fenhorn

Re: Run Action from Near to Arm's Reach

Tue 22 Mar 2022, 15:46

Just wanted to confirm - to move from near to arm's reach, a player takes the run action as a fast action. The run action is technically a move skill check but s/he doesn't need to roll in this case hence not moving into another zone. Somehow, I felt a roll may be appropriate since the player moves into the opponent's weapon reach? Did I get this all correct?
The Run action is the action you use when you move as you said, either from one zone to another or between Near and Arm's Length distance from an enemy in the same zone as you are already in. The Move skill is used if you use the Run action in Rough terrain.
Oh, and related, what action can a player chose on the other hand to prevent another player to move into arm's length. For instance a staff fighter with near reach wants to keep a sword fighter at distance?
The big bonus you have if you use a weapon that can attack at Near distance is that you don't have to move into Arm's Length to attack (but he have to do that in order to attack you). There is a talent (Spear Fighter) that gives you an opportunity to attack anyone that moves from Near to Arm's Length from you if you have a spear-type weapon.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Ptimot
Topic Author

Tue 22 Mar 2022, 15:58

Thanks Fenhorn

BlissRage

Sat 10 Feb 2024, 18:05

The Move skill is used if you use the Run action in Rough terrain.
I'm unclear on whether the MOVE in required only when moving into the ROUGH zone, or every time you move while in a rough zone. The wording in PH says "when you RUN into the zone" so I'm guessing you don't have to roll MOVE in that zone to go from NEAR to ARMS LENGTH or to leave the zone? Is this how folks run it?

Fenhorn

Sat 10 Feb 2024, 20:30

The Move skill is used if you use the Run action in Rough terrain.
I'm unclear on whether the MOVE in required only when moving into the ROUGH zone, or every time you move while in a rough zone. The wording in PH says "when you RUN into the zone" so I'm guessing you don't have to roll MOVE in that zone to go from NEAR to ARMS LENGTH or to leave the zone? Is this how folks run it?
Yup. The narrative for this could be that Near to Arm's Length is such a short distance and also would punish offensive actions a little bit to much.

I should say the in our group we very often forgot about rough and open zones. Amazing how hard some rules are to remember.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore