Raellus

Re: Urban Operations

Fri 07 Oct 2022, 00:59

Will any of the art from Urban Operations be made available for use in FL community content/work shop products?
Twilight 2000 discussion forum @ https://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

ottarrus

Fri 07 Oct 2022, 01:55

So, I see that some folks have UO.
I checked on drivethru and it's not there. So is the pdf out yet?
Urban Operations is available for pre-order from Free League's webstore. With the pre-order comes early access to the PDF. I imagine the PDF won't be available on DriveThru to the buying public until the official release of the physical product.
Ah. Thanks! I appreciate it.

Marco Rafalà

Fri 07 Oct 2022, 14:40

So, I see that some folks have UO.
I checked on drivethru and it's not there. So is the pdf out yet?
Urban Operations is available for pre-order from Free League's webstore. With the pre-order comes early access to the PDF. I imagine the PDF won't be available on DriveThru to the buying public until the official release of the physical product.
Ah. Thanks! I appreciate it.
You're welcome!

ottarrus

Mon 17 Oct 2022, 12:22

[sigh*]
OK, I feel like an idiot.
I've pre-ordered UO. I have my receipt email.
So, uh, where do I go to get my download?

[Yes, I DO feel stupid. Why do you ask?]

Fenhorn

Mon 17 Oct 2022, 12:28

[sigh*]
OK, I feel like an idiot.
I've pre-ordered UO. I have my receipt email.
So, uh, where do I go to get my download?

[Yes, I DO feel stupid. Why do you ask?]
If you order something from FLs webbshop, like UO, you will, within 15 minutes get a second email (the first being the order confirmation email) with links to the pdfs on drivethru. If this hasn't happened, check your spamfilters (and you can also check your library on drivethru). If still nothing, email support@frialigan.se.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

ottarrus

Mon 17 Oct 2022, 13:09

Just got it.
Thanks Fenhorn. I appreciate the quick reply.

jonathanpay

Mon 17 Oct 2022, 16:05

Will any of the art from Urban Operations be made available for use in FL community content/work shop products?
Was anything from the core book ame to be used in that way?
Christian. Husband. Father. Antipodean. Egalitarian. Cinephile. Boardgame and ttrpg enthusiast. Jack-of-all-trades. World's first second-generation email geek.

JaskoGomad

Fri 21 Oct 2022, 18:37

So does anyone have any insight into what kind of content there is? I watched some “review” where the most repeated phrase was “I didn’t read it” and the most detail was “X got Y pages of text”. Ugh.

What I want to know is: is this really the universal city supplement or not? Is this just 2 cities? Or is it guidance and mechanics for all kinds of cities, with 2 fully worked examples?

I’m interested in running a “Red Dawn” kind of hometown insurgents campaign, to bring the game out of “current events” and back to ‘80s fear nostalgia. Is this the supplement I have been waiting for? Does it have scavenging tables for various sites, etc? Does it have details on how urban environments decay when infrastructure collapses?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Fenhorn

Fri 21 Oct 2022, 19:40

So does anyone have any insight into what kind of content there is? I watched some “review” where the most repeated phrase was “I didn’t read it” and the most detail was “X got Y pages of text”. Ugh.

What I want to know is: is this really the universal city supplement or not? Is this just 2 cities? Or is it guidance and mechanics for all kinds of cities, with 2 fully worked examples?

I’m interested in running a “Red Dawn” kind of hometown insurgents campaign, to bring the game out of “current events” and back to ‘80s fear nostalgia. Is this the supplement I have been waiting for? Does it have scavenging tables for various sites, etc? Does it have details on how urban environments decay when infrastructure collapses?

Thanks in advance for any information.
Those are spoiler-free reviews (this expansion contains a lot of scenarios, plots and setting). The expansion contains rules for playing in cities, city travel and city warfare (including indoor combat, using a larger scale). It also contains city factions and plots, most of them can be used in any city, but there is a faction and plot connected to each of the two cities that are detailed (well, Karlsborg is a small town actually). The expansion also includes four scenarios, similar to those in the core rulebook that can be in any city.

So it is a generic city expansion that has two cities mapped and detailed in it.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Vcutter

Sat 22 Oct 2022, 15:30

I’m interested in running a “Red Dawn” kind of hometown insurgents campaign
Yes. This will definitely do the trick.
Personally I was positively suprised how generic it was. I was expecting a bit more of a detailed look at Krakow/Karlsborg, but the materials devoted to those two cities are just a tiny part of the book and even those can easily be converted to work in any other city. So it definitely is more of an "urban sourcebook" than Krakow/Karlsborg sourcebook. Think of those two as examples for Referees on how to expand campaigns in cities.
Does it have scavenging tables for various sites
No. But it does have new encounters that are for urban enviroments. The cities are pretty much scrapped clean a few years after the bombs dropped anyway, so you probably don't need a "pharmacy" scavenging table and "fast food joint" scavenging table... Then again should you need, the internet provides plenty, even geared for TW:2000.
Does it have details on how urban environments decay when infrastructure collapses?
It has a very rich flavour text in the beginning about what life is like in the city a few years after the war. This style of giving info is present in other parts of the book as well, like scenario site details etc.
The first chapter explains in very informative way what is the likely outcome with food and water, security, laws, economy, transportation, jobs, politics etc. The "decay" of the city itself depends largely on whether it was hit by the nukes or not or did it come under heavy artillery/missile fire during the war. So those details you have to work out by yourself, the book paints with a broad brush, but the picture is enough for most referees.

Personally I am very satisfied with the materials. The city rules for combat and travel in the cities are good (not too crunchy and present interesting choices for players). The plot points were exactly what TW needed imo as well. The scenarios sites are very good and universal.
The only thing I was hoping a bit more from was the faction rules regarding areas of control. While I wasn't expecting "Stars Without Numbers" or "Blades in the Dark" treatment of factions and their machinations, the rules here could have been expanded a bit further to give the Referee more tools into running a living, breathing sandbox. Then again many GM's prefer to run the factions simply by GM fiat which totally works fine, especially with the plot points, so depending on your style this might be a positive or a negative thing.
Bottom line: if you run TW:2000 and your PC's have a slight chance of making it alive to a city of some sort, you definitely should buy this.