Oddball_E8
Topic Author

About Foundry VTT.

Sat 05 Mar 2022, 21:23

I put this question on the Facebook page, but I figured I might as well post it here too.

I have a question in regards to buying materials for Foundry VTT.
I have bought all the ALIEN boxes, but I've recently started using Foundry VTT and figured it would be cool to have that as a tool.
Mainly for maps and such.
However, having a look at your store page, it seems I would have to almost pay twice to get the stuff for Foundry VTT.
That seems a bit expensive to me.
I've already paid several thousands of crowns for the physical books and boxes.
And now I have to pay almost the same to be able to use it with VTT?
That seems excessive. Is there no way to get this cheaper as someone who's already paid for the hardcopies?
I mean, looking at the bundles, you're paying less than 100kr for the VTT stuff (if you deduct the price of the hardcopy).
But if I've already bought the hardcopy before, I'll have to shell out 250 crowns to get the VTT stuff as well.
Is this really a good way to keep loyal customers happy? Making them pay more than double the price of they bought your product before Foundry VTT came out?

Fenhorn

Re: About Foundry VTT.

Sat 05 Mar 2022, 21:41

They have a discount if you buy a bundle instead of each product on its own, yes. You are asking to get that discount for products you already have. What you should do, if you can wait, is to wait until there some special discount for alien (there is an alien day, in April I think) or you could contact free league directly by using the contact form on the free league webbsite.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Oddball_E8
Topic Author

Sun 06 Mar 2022, 07:24

They have a discount if you buy a bundle instead of each product on its own, yes. You are asking to get that discount for products you already have. What you should do, if you can wait, is to wait until there some special discount for alien (there is an alien day, in April I think) or you could contact free league directly by using the contact form on the free league webbsite.
No, what I'm doing is complaining about the fact that you can't really buy the VTT items cheaper if you can prove that you already own the core books.

Yes, there is a discount for bundles, that makes perfect sense.

BUT, since I already own the hardcopy, paying 50% on top of what I've already paid for the hardcopy seems excessive.
Especially since there's no cost of printing or storage for a virtual product.
They could easily provide a discount upon proof of purchase of the hardcopy.

Fenhorn

Sun 06 Mar 2022, 07:56

No, what I'm doing is complaining about the fact that you can't really buy the VTT items cheaper if you can prove that you already own the core books.

BUT, since I already own the hardcopy, paying 50% on top of what I've already paid for the hardcopy seems excessive.
... and then you should contact FL and tell them that.

Oddball_E8
Topic Author

Sun 06 Mar 2022, 08:46

... and then you should contact FL and tell them that.
Done

Oddball_E8
Topic Author

Sat 12 Mar 2022, 02:51

Well, I got my answer:

"Sorry, but we can't discount VTT:s based on previous purchaces."

In other words, I'll have to pay again for stuff I've already bought.

OR, I could try to sell my hardcopies for full price, and buy a bundle to get the VTT stuff at a reasonable price.

Either choice is not an option for me.

Not sure what this does to my future purchases from FL.

I feel kind of betrayed as a loyal customer from the start of the company...

Fenhorn

Sat 12 Mar 2022, 08:17

<>
Hey, we have all bought something that later on ended up in a good-looking bundle or got a big discount, it happens.

Oddball_E8
Topic Author

Sat 12 Mar 2022, 13:35

<>
Hey, we have all bought something that later on ended up in a good-looking bundle or got a big discount, it happens.
Again, that's not the point.

My point is that the VTT modules are overpriced for anyone who already owns the core books.

Especially for those of us who use VTT as a supplement instead of the main tool.
I don't play online, I just use VTT as a convenient and easy map tool to display the maps and player/npc icons and such.

Ideally, there would be a watered down version of the VTT packs without the core rule books for those of us who already paid a shit-ton of money for the hardcopies, so that we can use VTT as a supplement.

I get the pricing if you're gonna use VTT exclusively to play online.

But as a supplement, it's way overpriced.

I mean it's more than 50% of the original product, just to get it essentially scanned into digital form.

Like I said before, I don't know how this will effect my future purchases.

Hell, I might just forgo the whole hardcopy thing and just buy the VTT module and print the rulebooks myself.
It won't look as good, but at least it won't cost me an arm and a leg to get the maps and icons to display on a monitor.

ArtWend

Sat 12 Mar 2022, 17:14

I mean it's more than 50% of the original product, just to get it essentially scanned into digital form
Oh, no. No, no. This most definitely is NOT what you are getting when you buy the VTT module. There is a whole lot more functionality in the VTT modules for all the FL games with Foundry. A whole lot which requires a lot of work to build, test and put out there. And they're regularly updated and honed without anymore cost to the buyer. And that's what you're paying for. Not an "essentially scanned into digital form."

I understand that it's more than you want to pay, though, so you could spend your time inputting all the info into Foundry. I found that my time was worth more than my money and the added cost for the VTT module was waaaaay worth it. Plus I'm hopeless as programming and APIs and such so I would never be able to attain the functionality that buying the Module got me.

Dibdab666

Tue 15 Mar 2022, 22:54

I have both the physical and the Foundry version, and they are both worth the investment.

The foundry version has far more functionality and gives Mother so many tools to help run the games and automation to make things easier. This is not work that was done when the book was written so you are paying for the work that has been put into it and the royalties that Free League have to pay on each unit sold.

However if you are really gonna post up the woe is me, how dare they make me pay twice rant, Toughen up and realise that this is the way.