Jsemple
Topic Author

Combat stunts vs Xenos

Sat 26 Feb 2022, 10:21

Hi all, just asking for a couple of points of clarification here regarding using combat stunts on Xenos.

Firstly, can you pin Xenos so they lose their next action? If multiple attackers shoot a Xeno is this effect cumulative so they would lose their next multiple actions?

Secondly, let’s say a Xeno was at Engaged range fighting a PC and another PC uses a stunt to push the Xeno back, would you rule that this meant the character previously at Engaged range was not affected by acid splash?

While I can make my own rulings here it would be good to understand what the consensus is. To me it seems from the rules as written that both of these rules should apply and that makes Xenos significantly easier to defeat (at least by Colonial Marines). In fact the only one I can’t see applying is using pin to remove multiple actions.
James Semple

Brian McReynolds

Re: Combat stunts vs Xenos

Sat 26 Feb 2022, 23:54

"Secondly, let’s say a Xeno was at Engaged range fighting a PC and another PC uses a stunt to push the Xeno back, would you rule that this meant the character previously at Engaged range was not affected by acid splash?"

I would rule that for the Xenomorph to be eligible for the 'Knockback' Stunt effects, you first have to hit it with an attack. Xenomorph takes any damage from this attack as normal (triggering acid splash immediately if applicable), and is then 'knocked back'.

The acid splash would take effect at Engaged range, in my opinion. Shooting at Xenomorphs in close contact/combat with your friends/squad-mates/crew should be a VERY risky proposition, especially in 'Cinematics' where long-term character survival is less of an issue. The movies repeatedly show the dire consequences of shooting at Xenomorphs who are too close to others. Drake is a prime example of this in 'Aliens', for example.

If playing in a 'long-term' campaign however, maybe Colonists or Space-Truckers; I would be willing to allow uses of the 'Dodge' Stunt or 'Mobility' skill checks to evade acid splashes. Difficulty of the skill checks will vary by situation and location.

Players in such 'long-term' campaigns will have invested a lot more into their characters, so giving them a (slightly) better chance of survival is only fair, and is a lot more fun as well. YGMV however, and that's cool. Hope this helps address your concerns about knocking back Xenomorphs.

Jsemple
Topic Author

Sun 27 Feb 2022, 21:48

Thank you Brian. I think that seems fair.
James Semple

ecclektik

Mon 09 May 2022, 04:18

I play that all the stunts occur first and then damage last, so pushed back, knocked down, pinned, etc. and then damage.

BassMasterK

Sat 04 Jun 2022, 07:35

Firstly, can you pin Xenos so they lose their next action? If multiple attackers shoot a Xeno is this effect cumulative so they would lose their next multiple actions?
I wanted to revisit this post as I had the same question and I cannot find an answer online to this. I was watching a session on YouTube where a PC used an extra success for the "pin down" ranged attack stunt. Thematically (to me) this doesn't make a lot of sense because in the movies the Xenos don't seem to care about bullets flying their way (other than reacting to actually being hit), they just want to close the distance and kill. However, the CRB doesn't add the caveat that this only works on humanoid type creatures like it does with the grappling pin down stunt.

Curious if there was an official ruling on this?

BassMasterK

Sat 04 Jun 2022, 19:42

Actually disregard my question. I'd delete it but this may help others. I was confused because I believe the OP was mixing the pin down from a grapple attack with a pin down from the ranged combat attack as if they could produce the same result which they don't.

The pin down from the ranged weapon attack doesn't doesn't cost the pinned down opponent their next action, it simply causes them to make a panic roll. Xenos don't make panic rolls from what i have read. So what I saw on a playthrough was perhaps a player not realizing that using an extra success die to pin down the Xeno would actually not have a usable effect.

Jsemple
Topic Author

Sun 19 Jun 2022, 01:02

Thanks for replying BassMasterK, I had to go double check this.

Page 95 of the core rule book (discussing ranged combat stunts) says:

You pin down your enemy. PCs need to make an immedi-
ate Panic Roll. NPCs instead miss their next slow action.

So I think my initial question is still valid. I do agree that thematically it doesn’t seem right.
James Semple