Marcloure
Topic Author

When does Treasure convert to Treasure Rating?

Wed 23 Feb 2022, 05:33

Hi.

Our party just found 20 Treasure in a hoard, but that load (20) exceeds the maximum Load Capacity of our mounts. Then, our group decided to carry a part of the remaining treasure. Question is: when does treasure get converted to Treasure Rating? The book doesn't mention anything about that, but surely a Prosperous character isn't carrying 90 load from the start, so there must be a moment when treasure is converted to Treasure Rating.

We ruled that that happens during any Fellowship Phase. Is that correct, or am I missing something? Also, I would guess that after the conversion the treasure doesn't have any load, right?

Asrath

Re: When does Treasure convert to Treasure Rating?

Wed 23 Feb 2022, 08:25

That would be my approach as well.

Asrath

Wed 23 Feb 2022, 08:26

We ruled that that happens during any Fellowship Phase. Is that correct, or am I missing something? Also, I would guess that after the conversion the treasure doesn't have any load, right?
That would be my approach as well.

HunterGreen

Wed 23 Feb 2022, 13:46

but surely a Prosperous character isn't carrying 90 load from the start, so there must be a moment when treasure is converted to Treasure Rating.
I think the idea is that he's not carrying it around, he's leaving it at home. Treasure becomes Load once you pick it up, and stops being Load once you get it home.
TOR/AiME Discord: https://discord.me/theonering
Narvi, the TOR bot for Discord: https://bitbucket.org/HawthornThistleberry/narvi/

mrdabakkle

Wed 23 Feb 2022, 23:51

Right on with that answer in my book. I don't know if 2e will function like this but in 1e nearly all prices were handled by Standard of Living (this is the same as 2e) The LM just determines that a Common adventure can afford their own room and meals. A frugal adventure is sleeping in the stables. A prosperous adventurer an afford room and food for themselves and one adventurer. A rich adventurer can afford rooms and meals for themselves and two others, ect. But in 1e occasionally it was useful to carry 1-2 treasure with you as some adventures would say to buy something during the adventure the player would have to spend 1 treasure.
The One Ring and Adventure's in Middle-earth Discord Server: https://discord.me/theonering
The One Ring Subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/oneringrpg/

Inculta

Thu 24 Feb 2022, 07:47

One of the 1e supplements, I think the Lake-town one, has a table for converting Treasure Rating into actual coin currencies if you wanna track it that way, IE 1 TR = 5 silver coins or something like that.

Dunheved

Thu 24 Feb 2022, 09:30

Inculta is correct, the Laketown supplement had a currency system based on pre-decimalisation UK one.
UK before Feb 1971 There were 12 pennies (copper) in a shilling (silver) and 20 shillings in a pound (gold).
And 1 gold = 1 Treasure in TOR1e. And that meant that Barliman Butterbur paid 1.5 Treasure (30 silver )as compensation to Merry for four ponies lost/stolen at Bree. Later described as a "very fair price".

By these measures, 1 piece of Gold was a lot of value. It is why I find the abstraction 1 Treasure = 1 Load as something to ignore and handwave away. I know that there is a counter argument, but have never found it weighty enough to swing the balance into accounting.

Treasure is either a LOT of value, or its not. In my view 20 to 50 gold pieces would begin to be noticeable, and still less than the effect of carting a shield, or two days water supply around.

Otaku-sempai

Thu 24 Feb 2022, 16:47

One of the 1e supplements, I think the Lake-town one, has a table for converting Treasure Rating into actual coin currencies if you wanna track it that way, IE 1 TR = 5 silver coins or something like that.
Yes, it was the Lake-town Sourcebook. Here is the table:
1 gold piece = 1 Treasure
1 gold piece = 20 silver pennies, 240 copper coins
1 silver penny = 12 copper coins
#FideltyToTolkien

Asgo

Thu 03 Mar 2022, 19:20

wouldn't have old Smaug have been sitting on a Marvellous hord of 270 gold pieces by this calculation? ;)
(if I calculated correctly for a party of 15 and rolling 3 success dice)
I always assumed (without specific reference) that a gold value would be more than 1:1 conversion of Treasure points.

Otaku-sempai

Thu 03 Mar 2022, 23:17

wouldn't have old Smaug have been sitting on a Marvellous hord of 270 gold pieces by this calculation? ;)
(if I calculated correctly for a party of 15 and rolling 3 success dice)
I always assumed (without specific reference) that a gold value would be more than 1:1 conversion of Treasure points.
The Treasure Table apparently isn't perfect for calculating large hoards.
#FideltyToTolkien