andresk
Topic Author

Re: Clarification for ROF 1 and ammo dice

Thu 24 Mar 2022, 18:30

Yeah the actual intent behind the rule from the writers was what I'm looking for.

I would rule it as you explained, Fenhorn, but the wording does seem to imply that yes you can land two seperate hits with one bullet (on the same target), not just the +1 damage.

paladin2019

Thu 24 Mar 2022, 22:58

the wording does seem to imply that yes you can land two seperate [sic] hits with one bullet (on the same target)
A single round could fragment and cause multiple hits on one target.

Xalico

Fri 25 Mar 2022, 03:58

Not sure if this is relevant, but I'm having a really hard time interpreting why a Zip Gun (or any other firearm with a single round remaining) is more prone to decreased reliability when rolling Ammo Dice. You're using a single cartridge either way.
...but the wording does seem to imply that yes, you can land two seperate hits with one bullet (on the same target), not just the +1 damage.
I would probably house rule the wording of that line to this:
You can never score more hits than you have rounds of ammo in the magazine of your weapon.
Makes more sense to me personally, but YMMV.

leonpoi

Sat 26 Mar 2022, 02:44

Yeah - that wording would be better, I agree.

Although with current rules you can model JFK magic bullet - even if you didn’t intend to !

paladin2019

Sat 26 Mar 2022, 05:27

If by "magic bullet" you mean one bullet fired scoring hits on two targets, you can't. No one disputes this and the rules are pretty clear on it.

If you mean three bullets fired (the Warren Commission's conclusion) scoring hits on two targets, well, you can narrate that however you want.

andresk
Topic Author

Sun 10 Jul 2022, 23:13

Still waiting on that clarification to be honest.

Ursus Maior

Thu 21 Jul 2022, 14:54

Still seconding that.
liber & infractus

Vader

Thu 21 Jul 2022, 18:54

While waiting/hoping for Tomas to address the issue, I can’t help but reflect that a single bullet hitting the same target multiple times isn’t really all that contrived — which also comes down to the rationalisation of the “Magic Bullet”.

It all depends on the position and pose of the person taking the hit/s, in relation of the direction the bullet comes from.

A simple example: a person is standing straight, with his shoulder to the direction the bullet comes from. It hits his arm, missing any bones it passes clean through, and hits his chest.

Or, picture a person holding a weapon in front of him. A bullet coming from his front might hit an arm, pass through, and hit the torso.

If he was aiming with the weapon, a hit might strike his head after passing through an arm.

By the same principle though, it could also be possible for a single bullet to score hits on two separate individuals in reasonably close proximity.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Ursus Maior

Mon 25 Jul 2022, 15:01

The point is much more about what constitutes a "hit" speaking in game terms in relation to (in game) reality. A more powerful hit (i. e. "critical") and/or a deeper fleshwound (further regular "hits"). This gets exacerbated due to the fact that regular "hits" in T2K seem to mean any superficial damage taken from an attack, not limited to bullet wounds, but also shrapnel, debris chipped off from a wall or tree, dinging your head on the pavement or just straining your ankle while diving for cover.
liber & infractus