mblorne
Topic Author

Ranged Attack - Push

Tue 08 Feb 2022, 18:28

Hello all,

I am working my way through the 4e rule set, and I had a few questions regarding the push damage mechanic. As stated in the Player's Handbook:
There is also a risk – each time you push a roll, you immediately
suffer 1 point of damage (if you rolled for STR
or AGL) or 1 point of stress (if you rolled for INT or EMP)
for each 1 you rolled on your base dice.
Question 1 : When do you ever have more than 1 point of damage? If you have two 1's rolled in the original base dice, then you wouldn't be able to push. Further, if you push one or two dice, and subsequently roll one or two 1's, would you take damage on any push 1's?

Example: I shoot my pistol, rolling a 4 and a 1. I immediately take 1 point of damage on the 1. Then I choose to push the 4. In that push roll, I roll a 1. Do I take an additional point of damage?
Example 2: I shoot my pistol. I roll a 1 and a 1. I cannot push. Please confirm.

Question 2 : Narratively speaking, how do you handle the damage suffered as a result of a ranged attack push? It makes sense for almost any other skill check (i.e. close combat you almost break your hand, throwing a grenade you wrench your shoulder, etc.) but with a ranged attack? I can see once you might catch a brass in the eye, but how many times can you reuse that before it becomes a joke?

Thanks so much everyone! Having fun reading through the 4e after 30+ years since playing v1.

Michael

uhu79

Re: Ranged Attack - Push

Tue 08 Feb 2022, 18:53

As I understand it:
Q1: You only receive damage WHEN you push, so no damage for your first one unless you push and then, yes, 2 damage when another one comes up.

Your other example: No push possible if you roll 2 ones but also no damage.

Q2: using an item damages the item, not you. So Reliability goes down instead.

baldrick0712

Wed 09 Feb 2022, 20:36

Please read my detailed example of combat thread here...

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=8771

It has lots of examples of pushing when using ranged combat.

fougerec

Wed 23 Feb 2022, 14:20

Example: I shoot my pistol, rolling a 4 and a 1. I immediately take 1 point of damage on the 1. Then I choose to push the 4. In that push roll, I roll a 1. Do I take an additional point of damage?
Example 2: I shoot my pistol. I roll a 1 and a 1. I cannot push. Please confirm.

Question 2 : Narratively speaking, how do you handle the damage suffered as a result of a ranged attack push? It makes sense for almost any other skill check (i.e. close combat you almost break your hand, throwing a grenade you wrench your shoulder, etc.) but with a ranged attack? I can see once you might catch a brass in the eye, but how many times can you reuse that before it becomes a joke?

Thanks so much everyone! Having fun reading through the 4e after 30+ years since playing v1.

Michael
When using gear (like a weapon) you damage the gear rather than taking damage.

andresk

Wed 23 Feb 2022, 15:25

Question 1 : When do you ever have more than 1 point of damage? If you have two 1's rolled in the original base dice, then you wouldn't be able to push. Further, if you push one or two dice, and subsequently roll one or two 1's, would you take damage on any push 1's?
Player's handbook page 45
AMMO DICE: If you push your roll, you must also re-roll
any ammo dice (page 63) that don’t show ✷ or [ammo success].
on ammo dice will damage your firearm and decrease
its reliability rating, just like ✷ rolled on your base dice.

So in ranged combat your ammo dice damage your weapon as well for each ✷.
If you push and roll 2 ✷, you take 2 damage (to yourself or gear).
If you push with 1 ✷ (that you already took damage from) and roll another ✷, you take 1 more damage.
That should cover all cases where you take more than 1 ✷ damage.

roney

Tue 26 Apr 2022, 11:38

Say that you want to move extra hexes and roll AGI and Mobility and get 1 and 4 on the dices. You decide to push and re-roll the 4 and get another 1 for a total of two 1's. This means you get 2 points of Stress.

Fenhorn

Tue 26 Apr 2022, 12:18

Say that you want to move extra hexes and roll AGI and Mobility and get 1 and 4 on the dices. You decide to push and re-roll the 4 and get another 1 for a total of two 1's. This means you get 2 points of Stress.
2 points of damage since Agility is a physical attribute. Although the Referee can change that if he things that mental damage (i.e. stress) is more valid. I have done that a couple of times.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

roney

Tue 26 Apr 2022, 12:25

2 points of damage since Agility is a physical attribute. Although the Referee can change that if he things that mental damage (i.e. stress) is more valid. I have done that a couple of times.
My fault! Of course it is +2 damage!