Angelman
Topic Author

PC concept - UPP Defector

Tue 01 Feb 2022, 16:16

Hey, y'all,

I need some advise and inspiration regarding a character concept that one of my players suggested for a CMC campaign (possibly to be used in FW) - a former UPP soldier who has defected to the UA and enrolled into the CMC. There are obvious issues with such a character concept and why they would be allowed to join the CMC, but I'm interested in advise as to how this could work, not arguments as to why it would not. In short, help me justify this character concept, please :)

Some loose thoughts: There must be a reason why the UPP Defector was allowed to join the CMC; some sort of event and/or surrender of graded material of some sort. (I don't want them to have prior knowledge of Xenos, however). Perhaps the character was turned by the UA "space CIA" intelligence service (=can't remember what they're called right now), and worked as an undercover double agent for some time, proving their loyalty to the UA, and was then extracted and enrolled into the CMC? (Perhaps their comrades don't even know about their UPP army past, it being a classified "space CIA" secret?).

Any thoughts on this, folks? :D
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

_ArthurDallas_

Re: PC concept - UPP Defector

Wed 02 Feb 2022, 17:31

HI Pale,

I see 3 ideas.

1) The defector knows a CMC commander really well because they survived on a battle ground together against xenomorph (previous encounter).
2) The Jason Bourne theory. The defector don't remember anything from the past (previous encounter) and sometimes the past gives him some clues (he remembers things). This one should be really great for role playing and really fun for the Game Mother.
3) Or they meet during a game. It's like the first idea but in your next game. PCs are in trouble againts xenomorph and this guy (UPP) is at the same place trying to stay alive. A special bond can start with band of brothers on a battle field ...

Arthur.

Angelman
Topic Author

Thu 03 Feb 2022, 07:34

Great stuff as always, AD :D

How would the platoon commander, or whoever, get around the hurdles of enrolling a UPP defector into their CMC unit? It's sort of like if the US Marines found a, I dunno, muhajadeen defector they really liked and made them a fellow marine. It's quite a bit of a stretch, so how to make it work in Alien RPG? Perhaps the easiest fix is to drop the CMC enrollment entirely and just have the UPP defector serve with the platoon as an advisor, sort of like what Ripley was to Gorman's band?
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

Bengt Petter

Thu 03 Feb 2022, 15:05

Why the UPP Defector was allowed to join the CMC? Well, because he or she had something essential to offer. I would go for some kind of classified knowledge. But of course, it’s probably about loyalty as well. I’d say it’s someone who has been working as an infiltrator within the UPP. Probably for several years.

_ArthurDallas_

Thu 03 Feb 2022, 16:52

and ... don't forget about "the bond of brothers on the field" ...

If you feel safe with this guy (the UPP guy) on the battle field then ... you want him on your team.

and the color of the shirt doesn't matter ...