Professor Phobos
Topic Author

Any plans for the Electric State and The Labyrinth?

Sun 23 Jan 2022, 19:55

Curious as to whether we'll get a third or fourth Tales from the Loop companion game based on these books.

Vader

Re: Any plans for the Electric State and The Labyrinth?

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 12:27

Seem to recall reading somewhere that some multimedia rights to Electric State had been relinquished to some other party ... it's possible that the TTRPG rights went the same way.

The Labyrinth ought to be a no-brainer ... it's a fascinating setting that ought to be ripe for a TTRPG. I seem to recall the question was brought up during the Kickstarter, but got no response.
However, although a Stålenhag book, the world and story really have little in common with Loop and Flood. I don't see how a Labyrinth game could go into the same suite ... it really should be a game all of its own.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

jonathanpay

Mon 04 Jul 2022, 12:28

Well with Labyrinth, as the setting that the surface is so toxic and everyone lives underground you could mix Mutant Year Zero Elysium with Things From The Flood to sort of get there? The strength of Labyrinth, besides the art, is the personal story being told.
Christian. Husband. Father. Antipodean. Egalitarian. Cinephile. Boardgame and ttrpg enthusiast. Jack-of-all-trades. World's first second-generation email geek.

jonathanpay

Mon 04 Jul 2022, 12:40

You could so some snapshots of events from Loop, Flood Electric State, and finally Labyrinth in an over-arching story where the world changes but people find ways to carry on. I wouldn't put the fate of the world/progression of things in the hands of the players though.

80s - Loop tech, players are kids and there's a wonder to everything.
90s - Tech is oddly regressed, teens are teens, things aren't and wonderful.
00s - (speculative as I haven't read ES yet just seen some pictures) some tech bounce back, people are awful - civil war, giant mechs. populace placated with virtual world service (Sentre). Whole of inland-USA abandoned as people flee to east or west coast(?)
10s - extra-terrestrial/inter-dimensional break through poisons the atmosphere and land, possibly the struggle to get into one of the bunkers?

Anyway, I know that ES and Lab are not connected to Loop & Flood but that's my speculative (and accelerated) timeline of events that you could put into place.

You could run Loop or Flood and have them thrust into ether ES or LAB as possible futures that they could go back to try and alter?
Christian. Husband. Father. Antipodean. Egalitarian. Cinephile. Boardgame and ttrpg enthusiast. Jack-of-all-trades. World's first second-generation email geek.

Vader

Tue 05 Jul 2022, 16:21

I recommend reading ES.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion