Carangil

Re: Starter Set adventures too...simple? Childish?

Sun 06 Feb 2022, 18:33

While I agree that the first two or three adventures are very light-hearted, they are there to teach certain aspects of the rules I think. And the last one is definitely not so cute and childish. Even the one where you have to find Old Bullroarer's club is no longer cute or childish in the end.

JuggernautRide

Sun 27 Feb 2022, 13:46

Anyone thinking of Further Adventures still in the style of, or using the boundaries of the Starter Set?

I had an idea for a trigger of "Two dwarf wandering merchants, going through the Shire, witnessing Bilbo vanish before their eyes and naturally getting curious".
(a) the dwarves are adversaries - and wish to secure Bilbo's secret vanishing trick by whatever means they can. Other hobbits have to rescue Bilbo and lead these dwarves astray, while Bilbo protects his secret - from everyone!

(b) the dwarves are PCs themselves, and the adventure describes either what they learn / or how they learn about Bilbo's vanishing "skill". (And let's not forget that Thorin's company knew about Bilbo's magic ring at the time of the escape from the Elvenking's cellar.)

Does anyone else have other stories to expand the Starter Set?
I did write an adventure that was published in Hall of Fire where a group of hobbit youths went on a fishing excursion to Lake Evendim and ran into trouble involving getting trapped in some ruins and visited by the ghost of a Dunedain woman. The heroes had to locate and rescue the youths, but a variant could have the young hobbits solve the problem themselves.
This sounds like a very interesting adventure, what issue of Hall of Fire was that published in and what is the title? Thanks!

Otaku-sempai

Sun 27 Feb 2022, 17:51

I did write an adventure that was published in Hall of Fire where a group of hobbit youths went on a fishing excursion to Lake Evendim and ran into trouble involving getting trapped in some ruins and visited by the ghost of a Dunedain woman. The heroes had to locate and rescue the youths, but a variant could have the young hobbits solve the problem themselves.
This sounds like a very interesting adventure, what issue of Hall of Fire was that published in and what is the title? Thanks!
Sorry! My mistake. My Shire adventure "The Haunted Lake" was published in Other Minds issue 24, January 2021, not in Hall of Fire.
#FideltyToTolkien

JuggernautRide

Mon 28 Feb 2022, 04:39

Sorry! My mistake. My Shire adventure "The Haunted Lake" was published in Other Minds issue 24, January 2021, not in Hall of Fire.
I found it, looks like a great way to follow up the starter adventure if the company decides they want to continue playing Hobbit characters. Thanks for that and for your other guides to regions in Other Minds, excellent background and quality writing!

Otaku-sempai

Mon 28 Feb 2022, 16:19

I found it, looks like a great way to follow up the starter adventure if the company decides they want to continue playing Hobbit characters. Thanks for that and for your other guides to regions in Other Minds, excellent background and quality writing!
I'm glad you like it. Some of my "TOR Guides" and other material have appeared in Hall of Fire, Vol. 2.
#FideltyToTolkien