Fenhorn

Re: First Setup Questions

Tue 28 Dec 2021, 17:22

I think the idea with that school event is that the machine become alert and stay that way for the rest of the round. This should be clarified.
Would it make sense to move the Machine Reset to Phase 3?
So, kids are Home for Dinner and Machines Reset for the night?
Machine resets is connected to the school card. Personally I don't have any problems to remember this. You put the machine on alert and you let it stay on alert after it has moved.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

bryan
Topic Author

Tue 28 Dec 2021, 18:56

Machine resets is connected to the school card. Personally I don't have any problems to remember this. You put the machine on alert and you let it stay on alert after it has moved.
hmm, maybe the challenge is the School Card itself:
Updated Protocols _ since School Cards are played (1.2) before the Machine Actions step resets their condition (1.3).

Or, maybe Machine Actions should come before School Cards?

Or, maybe I don't get it ! :?

Fenhorn

Tue 28 Dec 2021, 19:06

hmm, maybe the challenge is the School Card itself:
Updated Protocols _ since School Cards are played (1.2) before the Machine Actions step resets their condition (1.3).

Or, maybe Machine Actions should come before School Cards?

Or, maybe I don't get it ! :?
The card should say that the machine is set to Alert mode and stay that way for the rest of this Round.

bryan
Topic Author

Wed 29 Dec 2021, 01:30

Hacking Machines... then what?

I had asked about what do with Firewall Tokens, but I found it:

Rulebook, p12
Reset or Wrecked
...Remove all FIREWALLS on the Firewall Track.
However:
I don't see a description of how a Machine becomes WRECKED.

Fenhorn

Wed 29 Dec 2021, 01:42

Hacking Machines... then what?

Maybe this instruction is in the rulebook somewhere and I just can't find it...

What do we do with a Firewall Token once it has been hacked? Is it removed from the Machine? Is it flipped over?
When the Machine resets... what happens to the Firewall Tokens? Are they removed / replaced? Or, does the Machine keep the same firewalls throughout the game?
The firewall tokens remain until they are removed, hacked or not. They are removed if the machine reset.

Wrecking a machine is connected with the machine ability armed (p.10).

bryan
Topic Author

Wed 29 Dec 2021, 02:08

The firewall tokens remain until they are removed, hacked or not. They are removed if the machine reset.

Wrecking a machine is connected with the machine ability armed (p.10).

Rulebook, p10! Got it. Thanks!

The index only points to p12 for information on WRECKED. Thanks.

Drinking from a firehose...

bryan
Topic Author

Wed 29 Dec 2021, 02:20

Is there any reason NOT to place Firewall tokens during Game Setup, FACE DOWN on the Machine Firewall Tracks until a kid SCOUTS or tries to HACK the Machine?
There are some School Cards that influence Firewalls, and they are ineffective on any Machine that hasn't been interacted with yet.

For example (using Bot Amok! scenario):
School Card Drawn: MAINTENANCE
For each Machine, discard the first FIREWALL on the Firewall Track.

Unfortunately, none of the Machines currently have any Firewall Tokens in place.
The flavor text says "Mom had to work late yesterday. Some kind of machine update is supposed to go out today."
If I was a kid, I'd be more apt to try and hack a machine I came across if I had "insider knowledge about the risks"... but if Firewall Tokens aren't assigned until Scouting/Hacking a Machine — this card provides no benefit to players in Phase 2— unless the instructions persist throughout the round. Thus, when attempting to Hack a Machine, players get to remove the first Firewall Token...?
Placing them facedown would prevent identifying them prematurely, and would give this School Card an actionable, impactful role for this round. I would see that all Machines had one less Firewall I needed to break...

Fenhorn

Wed 29 Dec 2021, 09:42

Is there any reason NOT to place Firewall tokens during Game Setup, FACE DOWN on the Machine Firewall Tracks until a kid SCOUTS or tries to HACK the Machine?
There are some School Cards that influence Firewalls, and they are ineffective on any Machine that hasn't been interacted with yet.

For example (using Bot Amok! scenario):
School Card Drawn: MAINTENANCE
For each Machine, discard the first FIREWALL on the Firewall Track.

Unfortunately, none of the Machines currently have any Firewall Tokens in place.
The flavor text says "Mom had to work late yesterday. Some kind of machine update is supposed to go out today."
If I was a kid, I'd be more apt to try and hack a machine I came across if I had "insider knowledge about the risks"... but if Firewall Tokens aren't assigned until Scouting/Hacking a Machine — this card provides no benefit to players in Phase 2— unless the instructions persist throughout the round. Thus, when attempting to Hack a Machine, players get to remove the first Firewall Token...?
Placing them facedown would prevent identifying them prematurely, and would give this School Card an actionable, impactful role for this round. I would see that all Machines had one less Firewall I needed to break...
Normally you place the firewall tokens when you need them because there is a good chance that you never will, but you can place them in the setup if you like.

bryan
Topic Author

Wed 29 Dec 2021, 18:19

Normally you place the firewall tokens when you need them because there is a good chance that you never will, but you can place them in the setup if you like.
This is unexpected. Why is there a good chance you'd never have to use a firewall?
Don't you have to face the firewalls anytime you try and hack a Machine?
And, the only way I can see that you could get to the Dig Site is to hack a Machine and use its movement to get you there...?
(Assuming Machines can move across water E5 -> E3)

Without a Machine, starting from the School (M), it would take -2 Time for Players to get to The Checkpoint.
Rules don't clarify if it costs -2 Time to travel (walk) between two Restricted Locations... assuming it does, players only have 4 Time left. This means they spend -2 Time to get to The Bona Towers (E), and then -2 Time to get to The Ferry (D). This depletes their Time resource, and they have no way to use other abilities.

If it only costs -1 Time to travel between Restricted Locations, then players would spend a total of -5 Time to get from School to The Ferry. They would have 1 Time left to Investigate a Rumor, or Hack a Machine. But, forget about getting home on time!

Fenhorn

Wed 29 Dec 2021, 18:26

This is unexpected. Why is there a good chance you'd never have to use a firewall?
Don't you have to face the firewalls anytime you try and hack a Machine?
And, the only way I can see that you could get to the Dig Site is to hack a Machine and use its movement to get you there...?
(Assuming Machines can move across water E5 -> E3)

Without a Machine, starting from the School (M), it would take -2 Time for Players to get to The Checkpoint.
Rules don't clarify if it costs -2 Time to travel (walk) between two Restricted Locations... assuming it does, players only have 4 Time left. This means they spend -2 Time to get to The Bona Towers (E), and then -2 Time to get to The Ferry (D). This depletes their Time resource, and they have no way to use other abilities.

If it only costs -1 Time to travel between Restricted Locations, then players would spend a total of -5 Time to get from School to The Ferry. They would have 1 Time left to Investigate a Rumor, or Hack a Machine. But, forget about getting home on time!
You don't always hack all the machines, hacking is a big thing in the game (and difficult) so you probably only do it once or twice per game. In Bot Amok! there are three machines, you will most likely only hack one of them.

When I played the Tabletopia version I usually placed pre-placed because it is only some click and drag with the mouse. Now when I have the physical game, I tend to instead place them if I need them. I don't know why exactly, I just do.

Regarding the movement between restricted locations. The rules only state that it cost two cubes if you go from an open location to a restricted. As I see it (and have played it so far), this means that it cost only one cube to move between two restricted locations. I will play it this way until Martin say something else. I do think it is the right interpretation tough.