TheLedZepplin

Re: Blocking action - opposed roll?

Wed 26 Jan 2022, 09:44

What we do in our group is:

1) Attacker declares the attack.
2) Defender declares if he wants to defend or not.
3) The attacker and the defender rolls.
4a) The attacker pushes if he wants to.
4b) The defender pushes if he wants to.
5a) The attacker selects his stunts, if any.
5b) The defender selects his stunts, if any.
6) The result of the attack and defence are implemented simultaneously.

Almost the same as how Tomas intended it, but gives the attacker a little bit of a hint if wants to push or not because he can see the base roll of the defender. In order to make this work, you need to sets of dice, so both the attacker and the defender can see each others dice rolls.
How would you arbitrate when both parties have multiple successes? Say attacker has 4 successes and chooses 4 different stunts, defender has 2 successes and chooses reduce damage to just reduce total successes, which of the 2 are invalidated and which remain?

Fenhorn

Wed 26 Jan 2022, 10:31

How would you arbitrate when both parties have multiple successes? Say attacker has 4 successes and chooses 4 different stunts, defender has 2 successes and chooses reduce damage to just reduce total successes, which of the 2 are invalidated and which remain?
The attacker chooses his stunts first and then the defender chooses his stunts.

If the attacker gets four successes, he can choose three stunts (the first success just indicates a hit and will do weapon damage). Lets assume he chooses, extra damage, disarm and trip. If the defender rolls two successes, he can choose the decrease damage twice, one to remove the extra damage success and one to remove the base success since both of those success dice yield damage. This will also cause the attack to miss since all dice that cause damage where removed.
If the attacker with his four successes instead chooses extra damage twice and trip for his three stunts the defender if het got two successes can't make this attack to miss (he can only decrease two of the three damage dice). He can decrease damage just once (removing one of the damaging dice) and then something else like counterattack.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

TheLedZepplin

Thu 17 Feb 2022, 00:07

The attacker chooses his stunts first and then the defender chooses his stunts.

If the attacker gets four successes, he can choose three stunts (the first success just indicates a hit and will do weapon damage). Lets assume he chooses, extra damage, disarm and trip. If the defender rolls two successes, he can choose the decrease damage twice, one to remove the extra damage success and one to remove the base success since both of those success dice yield damage. This will also cause the attack to miss since all dice that cause damage where removed.
If the attacker with his four successes instead chooses extra damage twice and trip for his three stunts the defender if het got two successes can't make this attack to miss (he can only decrease two of the three damage dice). He can decrease damage just once (removing one of the damaging dice) and then something else like counterattack.
I do not like this at all. This heavily favors the blocker despite the fact they are the less active participant in the combat. In effect it says to the attacker "you were twice as successful as the blocker but because you didn't choose damage, you did not succeed at all." Someone in the thread here or reddit/discord said it all happens simultaneously and that works best for me. The blocker can choose what of the damage and stunts to take away but the rest happens as defined by the attacker. In your first example, disarm and trip would happen at my table.

ecclektik

Mon 09 May 2022, 00:41

TheLedZeppelin is correct:
DECREASE DAMAGE: You remove one of the enemy’s . If they are left with no , the attack misses. This effect can be chosen multiple times.
In the example, the attack only misses if all successes are removed via decrease damage. So the example would cause no damage but the trip and disarm would still happen.

Edit: I guess I need to reconsider that since base weapon damage can be more than 1. I guess the previously mentioned method of resolving the combat is best where the blocking stunts are resolved and then the attacker chooses what to do with their remaining stunts, if any. In the example, 2 success would be left, meaning one has to be used for base weapon damage first and the 2nd could be anything else.

Fenhorn

Mon 09 May 2022, 01:08

This is the answer Tomas gave in another thread:
Hi!

This is the intended sequence:
1. The attacker declares the attack.
2. The defender declares whether to block or not.
3. The attacker rolls (and pushes if they want to), then chooses a stunt if they rolled several successes.
4. If the defender declared a block, they now roll dice and choose an effect. If the defender chose the "decrease damage" effect, the attacker loses successes and can thus lose their chosen stunt.
5. The results of the attack and the block are implemented simultaneously. If the defender chose to counterattack, the two attacks occur at the same time. If the defender chose to disarm the attacker, the attack hits normally, but counts as an unarmed attack.
The defender stunt "decrease damage" actually removes successes (it shows the success dice symbol), not necessary damage. The stunt is called that because aliens only uses one type of stunt (extra damage) and it is the most commonly used even in human-vs-human fights.

BassMasterK

Sun 15 May 2022, 19:54

Caveat: I am new to the system, having read through the starter book and core rulebook one time. I'm working my way through them again, getting ready to take a party through some pre-made scenarios.

Does the defender get to choose which enemy stunts they cancel out with the DECREASE DAMAGE effect if they roll some successes, but not enough to cancel out all of the attacking PCs successes?

Example: Attacker rolls 3 successes. The first one is for the hit, the other two are for stunts. The attacker choses one extra damage with the second success and pinning the enemy in a tight clinch with the third. The defender rolls and gets one success so they know they can't cancel out all three successes, but one of the stunts can be cancelled. Does the defender get to pick whether to cancel the one extra damage or the pinning in a tight clinch stunt? Or does the defender just get to remove one of the successes but the attacker gets to pick which stunt doesn't get cancelled? In Thomas' example, he just uses the singular word "stunt" in his sequence of events so it isn't clear what happens when there are multiple stunts in play.

Thank you! This RPG looks amazing. I know my friends are going to love this.

Fenhorn

Sun 15 May 2022, 20:15

<>
Does the defender get to choose which enemy stunts they cancel out with the DECREASE DAMAGE effect if they roll some successes, but not enough to cancel out all of the attacking PCs successes?
<>
The rules actually only states that you remove successes, it doesn't say that you get to choose which ones. I looked at other YZE-games and they also say successes. Personally I think the defender chooses which '6' to remove. I never thought of this actually since monsters always uses extra damage and for simplicity that is what you normal use for NPCs as well, so it doesn't come up much and in Alien, never.

BassMasterK

Tue 17 May 2022, 00:04

<>
<>
The rules actually only states that you remove successes, it doesn't say that you get to choose which ones. I looked at other YZE-games and they also say successes. Personally I think the defender chooses which '6' to remove. I never thought of this actually since monsters always uses extra damage and for simplicity that is what you normal use for NPCs as well, so it doesn't come up much and in Alien, never.
Thank you Fenhorn. That makes a lot of sense to me and it also works thematically. When I was training MMA a lot and would end up in grappling situations, I could often tell if my opponent was working on more than one setup and I would focus most of my response on the one I was most concerned about succeeding. The same thing would play out here, as you have described it.

foxglovedual

Mon 19 Sep 2022, 03:56

What we do in our group is:

1) Attacker declares the attack.
2) Defender declares if he wants to defend or not.
3) The attacker and the defender rolls.
4a) The attacker pushes if he wants to.
4b) The defender pushes if he wants tosnow rider
5a) The attacker selects his stunts, if any.
5b) The defender selects his stunts, if any.
6) The result of the attack and defence are implemented simultaneously.

Almost the same as how Tomas intended it, but gives the attacker a little bit of a hint if wants to push or not because he can see the base roll of the defender. In order to make this work, you need to sets of dice, so both the attacker and the defender can see each others dice rolls.
When we play, after the block has eliminated all successes, we let the attacker make the decision. This is primarily due to the fact that we have always done this, we are more accustomed to FbL, there are no stunts in FbL, and there is no other option. We might try the "proper" method the next time we play a stunt game.