LughLonghand
Topic Author

"Britain and Ireland" naming in the Alpha Document

Thu 23 Dec 2021, 13:19

Since it's not strictly an error in the Alpha document, figured it's best to create a separate post for this.

Mythic Britain and Ireland or Britain and Ireland is fine, but using British Isles is an extremely loaded term, as you can find on this Wikipedia page. In particular, the popularisation of the term following the Act of Union to create a sense of "Britishness" in the Irish people.

Given Vaesen has always emphasised mystery and inclusive roleplay over pure historical accuracy, it's important to flag a term that will irk Irish players (like myself).

Nils
Site Admin

Re: "Britain and Ireland" naming in the Alpha Document

Thu 23 Dec 2021, 14:23

Thanks for the info! We will look into it.
Fria Ligan

nobble

Fri 24 Dec 2021, 07:23

Since it's not strictly an error in the Alpha document, figured it's best to create a separate post for this.

Mythic Britain and Ireland or Britain and Ireland is fine, but using British Isles is an extremely loaded term, as you can find on this Wikipedia page. In particular, the popularisation of the term following the Act of Union to create a sense of "Britishness" in the Irish people.

Given Vaesen has always emphasised mystery and inclusive roleplay over pure historical accuracy, it's important to flag a term that will irk Irish players (like myself).
There are Welsh and Scottish players who feel the same way.

Fenhorn

Fri 24 Dec 2021, 10:25

Moderator Message: ... and this has been reported now, so you don't have to report this again or discuss it.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore