starkillerbh
Topic Author

Player Starting Money

Wed 17 Nov 2021, 00:34

Did I miss something in the generation or rules about characters starting money for purchasing any gear initially?

paladin2019

Re: Player Starting Money

Wed 17 Nov 2021, 00:46

The rules are "Here's 1d6 boolitts to close out the likely shortfalls in what a real soldier carries."

Fenhorn

Wed 17 Nov 2021, 00:48

There is no money in this game. Goods are exchanged by barter. Besides your equipment you start with d6 loose rounds of ammo that you can use as currency (this is not much).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

starkillerbh
Topic Author

Wed 17 Nov 2021, 00:48

So all the list gear with pricing is basically useless unless it is found in game?

Fenhorn

Wed 17 Nov 2021, 00:56

So all the list gear with pricing is basically useless unless it is found in game?
The economy has collapsed so there is no money. Instead you barter (p.90). If you want something, you need to find someone that has that item and give him something that he wants that is worth the same. Price is listed in rounds because it is still fairly common and also something that people find useful. You can pay with ammo if you want (probably ammo that you don't need), but the Price in ammo is just a measurement of value, you can "buy" a Crossbow (Price 200) with a Pump-Action Shotgun (Price 200) if both you and the one you barter with thinks it a good deal.

paladin2019

Wed 17 Nov 2021, 01:48

But, yes, starting equipment doesn't accurately represent the prevalence of knives and compasses and such among soldiers' kit. C'est la vie.

baldrick0712

Wed 17 Nov 2021, 08:50

I was wondering about compasses, as they are pretty useful in the Travel rules and I would have thought pretty common. Price is 10 rounds of ammo so I would think a new group could pool its loose ammo and buy at least one compass from the get go. I would think there would also be some merit in converting one or more starting Reloads to loose ammo to buy such items.

omnipus

Wed 17 Nov 2021, 10:19

True, there's a real lack of basic field supply in all of the starting loads: sleeping bags, compasses, shelter halves, shovels. These things mostly all exist in the game but without some digging you wouldn't know it! However I think the travel/survival rules in general are pretty lenient even to the point that they must assume you won't have them.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

Oddball_E8

Wed 17 Nov 2021, 22:02

True, there's a real lack of basic field supply in all of the starting loads: sleeping bags, compasses, shelter halves, shovels. These things mostly all exist in the game but without some digging you wouldn't know it! However I think the travel/survival rules in general are pretty lenient even to the point that they must assume you won't have them.
The impression I've got so far is that this all takes place after the PC's have been through more than their fair share of shit and would have lost a decent part of their original (military) kit.

Fenhorn

Wed 17 Nov 2021, 22:17

The impression I've got so far is that this all takes place after the PC's have been through more than their fair share of shit and would have lost a decent part of their original (military) kit.
That is my impression as well. Also gives the players something immediately to fight for, to survive the Russian tanks (or whatever you use to scare your players so they start running) and get the basics back. The last battle (or latest perhaps) was very chaotic in a world that is very chaotic. I may probably allow for some swapping of starting gear if the player can come up with a valid story how.