AlexanderMars
Topic Author

Journey beyond the Tannhäuser Gate

Sun 14 Nov 2021, 16:35

I’m all for hunting or being hunted on the dirty streets of L.A. but what I would love to see is some material that finally takes us off world.

The recent 2019 and 2029 comics partially left Earth for the colonies. As I recall the “sequel” novels left Earth, but there’s been a few decades since I read those, and I don’t remember liking them enough to bother rereading them. We shall see where the Black Lotus series takes us when it’s released.

I can’t imagine that life off world is actually any better than the complete hell that is Earth; with how hard they advertise the colonies, I’m guessing the reality is probably worse.

Ever since I watched the original film, I’ve wanted to see Blade Runner’s off world libertarian dystopia. I think Fria Ligan can do it justice, they pretty much nuked the Alien rpg from orbit, I have zero doubts about the quality of Blade Runner, I just hope we get an off world source book.

Bengt Petter

Re: Journey beyond the Tannhäuser Gate

Mon 15 Nov 2021, 16:38

Well, Bladerunner takes place in a neo noir setting. That usually means urban locations. In what way would descriptions of off world colonies be neo noir? I think it’s a question of what the conceptual core of this game really is. In the movies, we never see anything off world. We just know that some characters have been there. To me, that’s interesting enough.

Byrax

Wed 17 Nov 2021, 20:17

I think the approach taken in The One Ring will be fine here as well. Dig where you stand. There is enough in LA 2019 to do. Keep the off-hand mysteries as such. People have speculated and wondered about those ads and iconic words from Batty for almost 4 decades…

Vagrant

Tue 26 Apr 2022, 00:12

I would like to see the setting expand beyond the confines of LA as well.
Given the technological advances of anti-gravity vehicles and faster than light space travel it feels a bit off to be stuck in one place.

Never quite understood why, with so many colonies and orbital stations to choose the Wallace corporation built such a massive facility in the heart of LA (but then again so much of BR2049 has no logical consistency)

Arazmus

Tue 14 Jun 2022, 07:53

For that matter will cybernetics be involved? Or is that tech strictly for replicants. If one of the game's themes is to explore humanity and lack thereof (Noir's postwar disillusionment) it makes sense to include it.

The movie Soldier also takes place in the Blade Runner universe so future sourcebooks certainly could explore the offworld colonies.

Gibson explores off-world colonies in his stories as well as some frighteningly accuracte speculation about how humans will develop, his stories translate well to TTRPG because they are more action-oriented. Phillip K. Dick's stories, oth, typically focus on the fragile nature of what is real and the construction of personal identity. His stories often become surreal fantasies, as the main characters slowly discover that their everyday world is actually an illusion assembled by powerful external entities, vast conspiracies or the rambling of an unreliable narrator. It starts with the basic assumption that there cannot be one, single, objective reality. It makes for fine literary twists but one would have a devil of a time translating it to a TTRPG.
Blade Runner was, by all accounts, a real joojoofoop of a situation insofar as getting the screenplay written was concerned. PKD did eventually sign off on it and actually saw some of the dailys before he died.
Walter Gibson was afraid Blade Runner would be better, visually, than anything he could put into words. He was right but both he and Ridley Scott have an affinity for French adult comic books and their particular brand of Orientalia, this shows in both Neuromancer and Blade Runner.

TLDNR: Hey, are there going to be any Cyberpunk elements in the game?

Arazmus

Tue 14 Jun 2022, 07:56

I would like to see the setting expand beyond the confines of LA as well.
Given the technological advances of anti-gravity vehicles and faster than light space travel it feels a bit off to be stuck in one place.

Never quite understood why, with so many colonies and orbital stations to choose the Wallace corporation built such a massive facility in the heart of LA (but then again so much of BR2049 has no logical consistency)
Well, they got the real estate cheap, and there were some tax abatements involved.

baldrick0712

Tue 14 Jun 2022, 17:51

Didn't William Gibson say in an interview once that his book "Neuromancer" came out coincidentally around the same time or shortly after "Blade Runner" and he was worried it might look like plagiarism?