Jacob Rodgers

Re: Corruption for Mystics

Tue 03 May 2022, 19:58

Sorry if this is an obvious question - I was reading up on the corruption rules and can read the text two ways.
When you cross your threshold, you roll for the corruption check and if it fails, for the mark of corruption.
Either
- Reading this as "as you cross the threshold", you would then not have to roll again.
- or as "whenever" you gain corruption above your threshold, you have to do the check and potentially gain a mark.

The second one seems to make more sense to me (and is more punishing) - Did I read this right?
Great question! And you're right, it is whenever you gain corruption. As long as your total is over the Threshold, you must roll for a mark of Corruption, which means someone can acquire several marks very quickly if they find themselves in a difficult spot.

zook

Thu 19 May 2022, 13:12

However, at the cost of 3 permanent Corruption, the Self Taught has been able to learn Find Familiar + Blood Bond. He transfers permanent Corruption up to 2 to a familiar, then summons a new one. So he should be able to transfer permanent corruption during the adventure to a familiar, and temporary corruption to 0 at the end of the adventure. Spending Thalers, he starts the next adventure with a new familiar.
Neat trick… however
If you cast this spell while you already have a familiar, you instead cause it to adopt a new form.
You can’t get new familiar.
When the familiar drops to 0 Hit Points, it disappears, leaving behind no physical form. It reappears after you cast this spell again.
Even death can’t change this.

Kaybe

Mon 30 May 2022, 14:41

According to the text, once the familiar turns evil, it abandons the caster. So that would make subsequent casts of Find Familiar find a new one, no?

zook

Tue 31 May 2022, 23:05

According to the text, once the familiar turns evil, it abandons the caster. So that would make subsequent casts of Find Familiar find a new one, no?
Turns evil? I don't remember such thing. And RoS don't use alignments.

BytomMan

Thu 02 Jun 2022, 07:06

Do you get permanent corruption whenever you cross the threshold? I’m not clear on it.

Jacob Rodgers

Thu 02 Jun 2022, 16:35

Do you get permanent corruption whenever you cross the threshold? I’m not clear on it.
Any time gain Corruption once you're past your Threshold, you roll for a Mark of Corruption. Some marks may cause you to gain permanent Corruption. Also, some effects in the game may cause temporary Corruption to become permanent.