I am writing a program to generate random characters using the Lifepath system. It's early days yet but here's an example of this program's output (see below). I haven't implemented promotions yet but my question is this. Would it be allowed for a character to join the military for a term, leave for a civilian term, then rejoin the military for several more terms? If it is allowed, would they rejoin with their previous rank, or something equivalent to it for a different military service branch, or would they start at the bottom? As a follow-on question, as a player would you stay in the military for a number of terms rather than do this weird dropping in and out of the military? I can see it being useful to gain an education so as to rejoin as an officer but not sure what other reasons make sense to do this. [EDIT] Even leaving for an education makes little sense as presumably you'd do that first and then join the military as an officer (if ability scores good enough).
[EDIT] Ultimately I not only want to follow the Lifepath rules but also implement a kind of AI that would make sensible choices about which careers to take, skills to acquire, etc.
- - STR: C; AGL: B; INT: C; EMP: D; CUF: D
- - Close Combat: C, Ranged Combat: A, Medical Aid: D, Recon: D, Tech: D
- - Mechanic
- - Childhood: Working Class
- - Combat Service Support, PFC (6 years)
- - Education: Liberal Arts (3 years)
- - Combat Arms, PFC (5 years)
- - Combat Support, PFC (2 years)
- - Special Operations, PFC (2 years)
- - Education: Sciences (3 years)