Byrax
Topic Author

Alien: Chariot of the Gods, exact location?

Mon 12 Apr 2021, 21:20

I understand that it doesn’t matter, but is it stated somewhere where the scenario takes place? Between Sutter’s World and Anchorpoint, but closest star etc. I am sure the players will want to know, when they wake up from cryo.
Last edited by Byrax on Thu 11 Nov 2021, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.

_ArthurDallas_

Re: Chariot of the Gods, exact location?

Mon 12 Apr 2021, 21:29

I would guest ... half-way ... like near 2M0746+2 Shambleau (Gordon & Medusa) sector or 55 cancri sector

DeusXLondon

Sun 18 Apr 2021, 00:17

See my post today in the Early ideas for a campaign thread. I put them much closer to Sutter's, but literally YMMV ;)

Regards
DX

ExileInParadise

Thu 26 Aug 2021, 04:07

Thinking out loud here:

The starmap's straight-line from Anchorpoint to Sutter's is through mostly undeveloped space.

This run is supposed to be "the Gauntlet" which could be some oblique reference to a transit through Gorgon/Shambleau or between there and Pollux - but that's not made very clear if so.

Meanwhile the Cronus is flying at .4c for 75-80 years on a vector from 26 Draconis which points somewhere, anywhere between Anchorpoint and Sutter's.

Time over distance - how far does Cronus really get?

With the two headings and that speed/time - you could probably plot the positional arc on the map where the Cronus should be given the data we have

And here's the fun... the Montero was *diverted* in transit from its base course.

This means, basically, they could change course anywhere between and "right turn" away from the base course to Sutter's and onto a new heading to intercept Cronus.

They were not dispatched straight from Anchorpoint to the Cronus - loading all of the cargo would make no sense then.

So the Montero was originally on a hauling hauling contract - and W-Y detected the Cronus inbound (somehow) and went looking for the nearest ship that could intercept.

Montero drew the short straw.

So, possible course targets like Pollux, 47 Ursa Majoris or even Groombridge 1830 are not out of the question.
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

greengrunt

Wed 08 Sep 2021, 20:52

Looking at the Star Map, Draconis 26 (where the Cronus picked up the goo) is a heckuva long trip.. To have the Cronus travel that far to any of the Parsecs surrounding Sutter's World for 73 years is a huge 'side trek' (they just veered a little to the left : P ).. Just sayin... Maybe the Montero was diverted quite a bit from their trajectory to Sutter's.. There would be limits to how far the Montero could intercept given the ship's possible fuel restraints. I like Exiles suggestions.. I would personally pick 47 Ursa Majoris.

kylkim

Re: Alien: Chariot of the Gods, exact location?

Mon 29 May 2023, 14:25

Sorry to necro an old post.

We should remember, that though our universe is disc-shaped, it isn't completely flat despite being depicted on a map. The current estimation is that our universe is some 1000 lightyears/307 parsecs thick, so the section of map in cubed space would also be some 30 squares high. Some of the map illustrations in the book show the stars in various states of colour shift, depicting this 'depth' between them.

With the 0.4 C speed of the Corvus and max FTL speed of the Montero as well as assumption of the destination of the Corvus and of the planets being on the same plane, we could calculate where the ships might be at their closest. However, without an ortographic projection, it is impossible to guess the planets' placement on the Z-axis, making it impossible to plot their courses in 3d space.

Edit: typo, rewording for clarification.

ExileInParadise

Tue 30 May 2023, 00:16

<spoilers>

Another complication is that Meyers' Blackguards boarded the Cronus before the Montero arrives - described in the Project Life Force section of Colonial Marines Operations Manual.

So, really, the Cronus could have been completely rediverted by the Blackguards ... who disabled the reactor relay (hehe) and maybe ended up luring a xeno onto the hull etc during that operation.

My current handwave is that the Blackguards diverted the Cronus toward HR-2429 just like the Miranda ... wonder what's there hmm?
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

_ArthurDallas_

Tue 30 May 2023, 17:01

HR-2429 ...

I think it's the same kind of place like in ALIEN FIRETEAM ELITE ... research base Pala Station on LV-895 ...
a big breeding farm for xenomorph eggs and pathogen experimentations ...

looks good for a long vacation doesn't it ?

arthur.

aramis

Sun 09 Jul 2023, 04:26

In re long hauls... keep in mind that the weekly maintenance requirements (p 178) mean about a day awake every 7th day in hyper.
Using the PDF of the mapset...
The run from Anchorhead to Sutter's is 15.59 cm, and 1.8cm are 1 parsec, and Montero is 12 days per parsec. 8.66 parsecs. 104 days. If you trust MU/TH/UR or your android to do it, the commtech can be done while FTL. If you trust your android to do it, the heavy machinery roll can be done while in FTL, too. Given the lack of androids¹, it's quite likely they drop out for 2-3 shifts a week, for 110½ to 113¾ days. Not a horribly long diversion... but note also pages 42-43... the diversion is known to Wilson from the get go. So Pollux or 1 Tau 1 Eridani are viable, as well...

Noting that 26 Draconis (where Coronus got the stuff to make the goo), is 37.6 cm so, 20 Pc. Doable in 76 years STL... but only if doing almost 90 PSL. So, they had to jump that way.
We should remember, that though our universe is disc-shaped, it isn't completely flat despite being depicted on a map. The current estimation is that our universe is some 1000 lightyears/307 parsecs thick,
In English, where you've used "universe" you should instead be using "galaxy."
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...