pelorus
Topic Author

T2000 Variant Campaigns

Tue 09 Mar 2021, 15:52

I'm a fan of T2000 variants - the version of t2000 I'm going to play with my players is actually closer to The Postman (cynically, the movie rather than the book....as the latter is just a bit too way out there...more on that later.) and Jericho (the TV series with Skeet Ulrich). I'm honestly more interested in that side of things than wandering round Poland. I'm chewing the idea of bringing in stuff from The Morrow Project and Living Steel to create an ongoing narrative framework. Both games had the idea of being part of a rebirth. I think there's real mileage in a "Darkness before the Dawn" campaign. I'm titling mine "Nor Gloom Of Night".

Some other variant campaigns -

Before The End - honestly, catch the Jack Ryan series on Amazon Prime. The first story (with a dirty bomb in the US) is great. And if the players were involved in stopping or even failing to stop the disaster, it would, it could be gripping.

Zombi - mentioned by pfarland, I think this is an easy win for any t2000 GM. In the olden days, I wrote and published a zombi game (imaginatively named ZOMBI) in the far distant past so I have a heap of adventure hooks and content for this (which I'm happy to share). I think T2000 and YZE would do it very well. It doesn't matter the source/reason for the zombie horde, it's just there. The real hazard is people (as we can see from the media). The theme is optimism though - we will outlast them. As the commander says in 28 Days Later, these creatures are a dead end. They'll never bake bread... and it has to be more than the endless "find a sanctuary, lose a sanctuary" story cycle that dominated The Walking Dead.

Vampires Everywhere - From "I Am Legend" to "The Omega Man", the idea of the world being over-run by vampires is a little entertaining (especially when you consider what they eat when they're finished with us). For an interesting and slightly militarised take on it, have a look at Joe Ahearne's Ultraviolet TV series. It was Idris Albas big break.

Alien invasion - a roleplaying game I really enjoyed reading years ago was Domination by Starchilde Productions (the roleplaying part of Sabot and Laser). It's a military focused game that has to deal with a contemporary invasion by a militarised alien force (The Kalotians) and their allied and servitor races. The odds are horrendous, the possibilities huge and then there's the concept of earth soldiers being recruited as a servitor race to go menace another planet. There's some optimism as "V" would show us, and even being sent to another planet has some worth, if the players are recruited with the promises their families will be catered for.

Time Travel - I've watched nearly all of "El Ministerio del Tiempo" and it's easily as good as Doctor Who (and better than a lot of it) in terms of how the story evolves. There's the twists of history but also the added bonus of time travel, and the other factions (the corporation Darrow, the Sons of Padilla and Exterminating Angels). Decent amount of gunplay in it too, plenty of action and the time travel is somewhat controlled.

Horror invasion - something like the Anopheles invasion (by Allen Varney - http://www.allenvarney.com/anopheles.html - probably known best for Paranoia). The war ends but the war still has to begin. There's something horrible out there and it's eating people. We see echoes of this in A Quiet Place our Bird Box. Heaps of Cthulhu inspiration there, the stars finally being right, and no way to actually win. I'm not enthralled by this "pessimistic" outcome.

The End of the End - I guess we can look at Book of Eli, Fury Road and The Road as examples of what happens at the very end. Utterly depressing.
--
Have a look at "Nor Gloom Of Night" for T2K4 (A post-apocalyptic setting of hope)
CZTERY - 4 Mystery Scenarios for T2K4
Twilight Tangents - psychics and zombies for T2k4
http://www.lategaming.com/buy-the-books/

omnipus

Re: T2000 Variant Campaigns

Tue 09 Mar 2021, 20:09

Yeah, lots of those could be fun. (maybe not that last one)

Should be quite easy to hack, given the similarity of the engine to FL's other titles that incorporate monsters and supernatural elements: Forbidden Lands, Coriolis, MY0, even ALIENS.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

paladin2019

Wed 10 Mar 2021, 02:51

Mad Max is hopeful. There is still a society scraping by. The Book of Eli is sort of in the same boat, just much smaller societies. These settings can rebuild and spawn 2300 AD. But The Road is done.

AEB

Wed 10 Mar 2021, 07:21

Back in the day we played a Vietnam War campaign for far longer than the original TW setting. Once as Special Forces in the Central Highlands and another as LURPs crossing into Cambodia and Laos to operate on the Ho Chi Minh trail. The setting meant that you started out with a heap of ammo and resources but would burn through it so that by the time end you were running on fumes.

If the firefight rules under 4th edition hold up then any setting involving small units and firearms is doable.

pelorus
Topic Author

Wed 10 Mar 2021, 11:25

Mad Max is hopeful. There is still a society scraping by. The Book of Eli is sort of in the same boat, just much smaller societies. These settings can rebuild and spawn 2300 AD. But The Road is done.
Interesting. I thought the reality of the "green land" was the turning point in Fury Road where it was realised that hope is dead, there's only "make do" left. It's not hopeful in the way Interstellar is hopeful (even though it has the line - "The last people to starve will be the first to suffocate".

And Book of Eli....maybe I'm a cynic but after thousands of years of religious wars, carrying a religious book seems retrograde.
--
Have a look at "Nor Gloom Of Night" for T2K4 (A post-apocalyptic setting of hope)

andresk

Wed 10 Mar 2021, 13:27

As a counter to the "End of the end" there's also the so called post-post-apocalypse, where society slowly starts to rebuild after the initial chaos after the apocalypse. Eg. the original Fallouts and maybe the end of The Postman come to mind.

pelorus
Topic Author

Wed 10 Mar 2021, 15:07

As a counter to the "End of the end" there's also the so called post-post-apocalypse, where society slowly starts to rebuild after the initial chaos after the apocalypse. Eg. the original Fallouts and maybe the end of The Postman come to mind.
That's where my T2000 campaign will be. In the rebuild.
--

Daquack

Fri 12 Mar 2021, 18:48

Back in the day we ended up playing more Merc2000 than twilight 2000
The group was a mix between mission impossible and A team. A private contracting group that operated just slightly on the wrong side of the law but also took government contracts so where allowed to operate.

Took place in modern day but with everything falling apart. although to do that with this iteration you would need to indroduce a more complex skill tree to allow more character development I. The civilian side.

pelorus
Topic Author

Fri 12 Mar 2021, 23:41

Took place in modern day but with everything falling apart. although to do that with this iteration you would need to indroduce a more complex skill tree to allow more character development I. The civilian side.
Good call. I posted elsewhere about allocating one of the Skill ranks to a Professional civil career to replicate this as the existing skill list is very functional.
--

Black Vulmea

Thu 06 May 2021, 05:32

At the Tip of the Spears - Peacekeepers, NGO workers, and reporters find themselves between government death-squads, desperate rebels, and callous mercenaries.

It's a campaign I wanted to run for decades, all the way back to my d20 Modern playing days, but I think FL T2K might be the perfect vehicle for it. The setting would be a corrupt banana republic with a crazed dictator, a multinational corporation with ties to the government and a outsize share of the export economy, and conflicting rebel groups backed by outside powers with their own agendas