paladin2019

Re: T2000 Variant Campaigns

Mon 17 May 2021, 04:34

Zombi - mentioned by pfarland, I think this is an easy win for any t2000 GM. In the olden days, I wrote and published a zombi game (imaginatively named ZOMBI) in the far distant past so I have a heap of adventure hooks and content for this (which I'm happy to share). I think T2000 and YZE would do it very well. It doesn't matter the source/reason for the zombie horde, it's just there. The real hazard is people (as we can see from the media). The theme is optimism though - we will outlast them. As the commander says in 28 Days Later, these creatures are a dead end. They'll never bake bread... and it has to be more than the endless "find a sanctuary, lose a sanctuary" story cycle that dominated The Walking Dead.
Vampires Everywhere - From "I Am Legend" to "The Omega Man", the idea of the world being over-run by vampires is a little entertaining (especially when you consider what they eat when they're finished with us). For an interesting and slightly militarised take on it, have a look at Joe Ahearne's Ultraviolet TV series. It was Idris Albas big break.
Horror invasion - something like the Anopheles invasion (by Allen Varney - http://www.allenvarney.com/anopheles.html - probably known best for Paranoia). The war ends but the war still has to begin. There's something horrible out there and it's eating people. We see echoes of this in A Quiet Place our Bird Box. Heaps of Cthulhu inspiration there, the stars finally being right, and no way to actually win. I'm not enthralled by this "pessimistic" outcome.
BTW, this is sort of the premise of another GDW game contemporary to v2.2 (and also using the real D20 system), Dark Conspiracy.

Knightofrubus

Mon 31 Jan 2022, 02:01

The Alien invasion scenario is something I'm currently seeing if I can't cobble together as a blend of T2K and the Morrow Project actually. I might need to dig around the other rule sets and see what I can find in them to use.

Thorwen

Thu 17 Feb 2022, 00:58

Actually a scenario in our present and near Future would be of interest.
Russia starting a war against Ukraine.
After NATO intervention this can easily escalate till NATO and US Troops stranded in a devastated Europe.

Fenhorn

Thu 17 Feb 2022, 01:04

Actually a scenario in our present and near Future would be of interest.
Russia starting a war against Ukraine.
After NATO intervention this can easily escalate till NATO and US Troops stranded in a devastated Europe.
Moderator Message: Please stay away from current political events. Such a discussion will not lead to anything good.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

pelorus
Topic Author

Thu 24 Feb 2022, 19:10

Zombi - mentioned by pfarland, I think this is an easy win for any t2000 GM. In the olden days, I wrote and published a zombi game (imaginatively named ZOMBI) in the far distant past so I have a heap of adventure hooks and content for this (which I'm happy to share). I think T2000 and YZE would do it very well. It doesn't matter the source/reason for the zombie horde, it's just there. The real hazard is people (as we can see from the media). The theme is optimism though - we will outlast them. As the commander says in 28 Days Later, these creatures are a dead end. They'll never bake bread... and it has to be more than the endless "find a sanctuary, lose a sanctuary" story cycle that dominated The Walking Dead.
And in the interests of staying away from the real world. I published my zombie book: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/38 ... angents-10
--
Have a look at "Nor Gloom Of Night" for T2K4 (A post-apocalyptic setting of hope)
CZTERY - 4 Mystery Scenarios for T2K4
Twilight Tangents - psychics and zombies for T2k4
http://www.lategaming.com/buy-the-books/

pfarland

Thu 14 Apr 2022, 22:01

Something I'm working on now, the beginning of the Terminator War. The RPG just dropped and I'm looking into converting the system/rules.
"Load up, strap in, lock and load, and save the last bullet for yourself."

pelorus
Topic Author

Fri 15 Apr 2022, 15:18

Something I'm working on now, the beginning of the Terminator War. The RPG just dropped and I'm looking into converting the system/rules.
I'd avoid it, personally. The Quickstart was not great.
--
Have a look at "Nor Gloom Of Night" for T2K4 (A post-apocalyptic setting of hope)
CZTERY - 4 Mystery Scenarios for T2K4
Twilight Tangents - psychics and zombies for T2k4
http://www.lategaming.com/buy-the-books/

pfarland

Sat 16 Apr 2022, 05:21

I'd avoid it, personally. The Quickstart was not great.
Story is, well Terminator. Rules aren't great, but the stats can be converted, and frankly this system (or Aliens) works fine. It's just a matter of conversion. And I already have it, so not bothering is a bit too late, lol.
"Load up, strap in, lock and load, and save the last bullet for yourself."

silverfoxdmt73

Mon 04 Jul 2022, 12:12

I'm a fan of T2000 variants - the version of t2000 I'm going to play with my players is actually closer to The Postman (cynically, the movie rather than the book....as the latter is just a bit too way out there...more on that later.) and Jericho (the TV series with Skeet Ulrich). I'm honestly more interested in that side of things than wandering round Poland. I'm chewing the idea of bringing in stuff from The Morrow Project and Living Steel to create an ongoing narrative framework. Both games had the idea of being part of a rebirth. I think there's real mileage in a "Darkness before the Dawn" campaign. I'm titling mine "Nor Gloom Of Night".

Some other variant campaigns -

Before The End - honestly, catch the Jack Ryan series on Amazon Prime. The first story (with a dirty bomb in the US) is great. And if the players were involved in stopping or even failing to stop the disaster, it would, it could be gripping.

Alien invasion - a roleplaying game I really enjoyed reading years ago was Domination by Starchilde Productions (the roleplaying part of Sabot and Laser). It's a military focused game that has to deal with a contemporary invasion by a militarised alien force (The Kalotians) and their allied and servitor races. The odds are horrendous, the possibilities huge and then there's the concept of earth soldiers being recruited as a servitor race to go menace another planet. There's some optimism as "V" would show us, and even being sent to another planet has some worth, if the players are recruited with the promises their families will be catered for.

Either of these two stories would be interesting to me, but the specific mention on Domination has most appeal. I never got to play it, but I saw the books (two or possibly three?) in my local games shop as a teenager and recently looked them up again. Something along those lines, but with more up to date rules and an expanded background would work really well (IMO) and I'd love to be able to convert and expand on the original material.

baldrick0712

Mon 04 Jul 2022, 12:17

You might also want to check out "First Contact : X-Corps". It was an RPG Kickstarter I backed years ago. Never played it in the end but it covers defense by Earth against an alien invasion.