downerczx
Topic Author

Battle Under the Trees

Mon 08 Mar 2021, 20:13

There was a battle between Woodland Realm and Sauron during the War of the Ring.

Could the "Wayward Elves" have established a kingdom, then sometime later end up having to defend it from a siege? We don't know if it survived or not.

I want to have a big battle with elves and orcs (maybe Gundabad?).

Where might Wayward Elves establish a kingdom?

Swcrusader

Re: Battle Under the Trees

Thu 11 Mar 2021, 06:33

I don't know about the wayward elves but I've always thought a campaign containing with the final battle in the North in the shadow of the lonely mountain would be an epic climax. With the battle being lost and most of the free folk leaders slain you can really lean into the heroes bravely leading the remnants of the free armies into erebor and fortifying for a last stand when the ring is destroyed and they can lead the armies back out and rout the forces of Sauron.

gyrovague

Thu 11 Mar 2021, 06:50

Is there a board game about the battle in the north? If not, there should be.

Falenthal

Thu 11 Mar 2021, 08:36

There's The Battle of Five Armies, by Nepitello and Maggi, representing the area of Dale and the doors of Erebor. Very nice game and tactical.
I'm sure it could be hacked for that last Battle during the War of the Ring, as the hero figures of Dain and Bard could be seen as old-Dain and Brand, and make it easy for them to die during the battle.
If you own War of the Rings, the orcs and wargs should be substituted by the figures of Easterlings, but could work.

coniunctio

Thu 11 Mar 2021, 11:00

There's the old Iron Crown Enterprise (ICE) game called Battle of the Five Armies. Long out of print but maybe second hand copies come up in the usual places.

coniunctio

Thu 11 Mar 2021, 15:25

Thanks for the link... I had forgotten I had posted photos of my wargame version of that game at boardgamegeek.

Swcrusader

Fri 12 Mar 2021, 01:29

There's the old Iron Crown Enterprise (ICE) game called Battle of the Five Armies. Long out of print but maybe second hand copies come up in the usual places.
There's also a computer/console game called War in the North. Pretty woeful actually with not much to recommend it.

Samael

Fri 12 Mar 2021, 20:41

Chronically, during the War of the Ring, Dol Guldur makes three assaults on Lothlorien and upon Thranduil's kingdom around the same time Sauron's Easterlings and orcs assault Dale and Erebor. The elves defeat Khamûl's armies by mutual assault from the north and south. Celeborn and Thranduil meet at Dol Guldur where Galadriel destroys its towers and lays open its pits.

That would be an epic campaign.