Carcharoth
Topic Author

Rules Update: 2e Character Creation Walkthrough

Tue 02 Mar 2021, 01:24

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... ts/3116444

Everything sounds great to me! I am especially intrigued at how Standard of Living gives you what appears to be the equivalent of Wondrous Artefacts from 1e rules (Rivendell). I wonder if they've simply been integrated into character creation, or if there are new rules for Wondrous Artefacts as well?
"Of all the terrors that came ever into Beleriand ere Angband’s fall the madness of Carcharoth was the most dreadful; for the power of the Silmaril was hidden within him."
- The Silmarillion

Cleggster

Re: Rules Update: 2e Character Creation Walkthrough

Tue 02 Mar 2021, 01:50

It feels less like Wonderous Objects to me than market items. You could go shopping a the market-pool in Laketown to get items that increased a single skill. That sounds like you get some boosts to skills based on your Standard of Living. Interesting way to start a new character.

Carcharoth
Topic Author

Tue 02 Mar 2021, 01:56

It feels less like Wonderous Objects to me than market items. You could go shopping a the market-pool in Laketown to get items that increased a single skill. That sounds like you get some boosts to skills based on your Standard of Living. Interesting way to start a new character.
You may be right. I wonder if all cultures will have the same items to choose from, or if each culture will have their own lists? Either way, this already an improvement on Standard of Living from 1e. My group all but ignores the current Standard of Living rules because it's more trouble to figure out how to apply them than to just keep the game session flowing.
"Of all the terrors that came ever into Beleriand ere Angband’s fall the madness of Carcharoth was the most dreadful; for the power of the Silmaril was hidden within him."
- The Silmarillion

Otaku-sempai

Tue 02 Mar 2021, 03:50

I see a lot I like here. More choices for the player to make. And you start with both Valour and Wisdom at 1.
#FideltyToTolkien

Falenthal

Tue 02 Mar 2021, 08:44

... improvement on Standard of Living from 1e. My group all but ignores the current Standard of Living rules because it's more trouble to figure out how to apply them than to just keep the game session flowing.
Absolutely: Standard of Living, and therefore Treasure, become more important and a motivation. Lovely way to do it, by also adding details to your character in the form of signature items that define it.

TheGreyPilgrim

Wed 03 Mar 2021, 00:23

I see a lot I like here. More choices for the player to make. And you start with both Valour and Wisdom at 1.
I think the bigger takeaway is that you get both a Reward and Virtue at character creation. Albeit, they're only the "generic" options, but still, that's a great change.

Otaku-sempai

Wed 03 Mar 2021, 04:12

I think the bigger takeaway is that you get both a Reward and Virtue at character creation. Albeit, they're only the "generic" options, but still, that's a great change.
Well, yes. The latter though is a consequence of the former.
#FideltyToTolkien

TheGreyPilgrim

Wed 03 Mar 2021, 10:45

Well, yes. The latter though is a consequence of the former.
Yeah, because they're giving them to you for free at rank 1. That's the big change. In 1e you only get to choose one, and either Wisdom or Valor starts at rank 2.

pelorus

Sat 27 Mar 2021, 21:01

Do we have a pre-release copy of the character sheet yet?
--
https://www.patreon.com/Lategaming
See my YZE Games and Supplements on my blog: lategaming.com

Falenthal

Sat 27 Mar 2021, 21:13

No, not still.

Everything related to design is still to be final, as far as we know.