Ooiman
Topic Author

Ideas for new mutations

Tue 26 Jan 2021, 02:05

I've been thinking of some new mutations to bring into play. Since I find that the English rulebook lacks some from the Swedish edition (why isn't Electric part of the game no more?), I took the liberty of fleshing out the list with some home-crafted ones. Feedback for potential buffs, nerfs or changes are appreciated.

Pinhide
You have the quills of a porcupine to use to your advantage in battle.
  • Shoot out quills on Near range towards an enemy. Deals one point of damage for every MP spent. Armor protects against the quills.
  • Parry a Close Combat attack and inflict one damage. Armor protects. Costs 1 MP.
  • Slip out of a grapple-hold and stun an enemy for one round. Costs 2 MP.
Crabclaw
Your arm resembles that of an underwater creature, a hardened pincer. At Arm's Lenght you can:
  • Use your claw to inflict one point of damage and grapple an enemy. Counts as an Unarmed attack. Armor protects as usual. Costs 1 MP.
  • Choke a grappled enemy, causing Fatigue. Deals one trauma per 1 MP spent.
  • Use the durability of your hard grip to succeed a Force check instead of rolling. Costs 1 MP.
I live for misfires.

BlissRage

Re: Ideas for new mutations

Sat 30 Jan 2021, 19:34

These look pretty good to me. Have you run sessions with mutants having/using these to get a feel for balance?

Shads

Sun 31 Jan 2021, 17:43

wait Electric is not ?
man thats...odd.
seeing as it is one of the most versatile mutations.
Charge Artifacts, Weapon Cells, computers, light shit up, etc

thats whack if so. oooooooooooor might be the exact reason , being too versatile?
Anyhow.

I would say, Parry a close combat attack AND inflict damage is way to overpowered along with the other usage of it.
I would rather put it at, Parry damage per MP spent, and not that you inflict damage, i get the concept of it being spikes, but i personally feel thats just too powerful, especially for just spending 1 MP to parry an whole attack AND do damage., my idea would make it very if not exactly simulare to the already existing armor mutation though hmmm...

I say.
Remove 1 damage per MP spent, AND have the ability to spend a MP to do 1 damage (and 1 damage only) , armor protects
This way it is flexible for the player, and seems more balanced to me.

Same with Slip out of grapple, it should not stun an enemy for an entire round, just to slip out of a grapple with an auto success use of mutation is well powerful enough.
just my take on them though :3

Cool Mutation ideas!

Ooiman
Topic Author

Mon 01 Feb 2021, 18:08

These look pretty good to me. Have you run sessions with mutants having/using these to get a feel for balance?
I aim to, at some point. Will probably run "Mouthful of Water" with some pre-made PCs to test things out.
I live for misfires.

Ooiman
Topic Author

Mon 01 Feb 2021, 18:19

I would say, Parry a close combat attack AND inflict damage is way to overpowered along with the other usage of it.
I would rather put it at, Parry damage per MP spent, and not that you inflict damage, i get the concept of it being spikes, but i personally feel thats just too powerful, especially for just spending 1 MP to parry an whole attack AND do damage., my idea would make it very if not exactly simulare to the already existing armor mutation though hmmm...

I say.
Remove 1 damage per MP spent, AND have the ability to spend a MP to do 1 damage (and 1 damage only) , armor protects
This way it is flexible for the player, and seems more balanced to me.

Same with Slip out of grapple, it should not stun an enemy for an entire round, just to slip out of a grapple with an auto success use of mutation is well powerful enough.
just my take on them though :3
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that they might come across as a bit OP, and they might need some rebalancing. My priority is to avoid any new mutations becoming too similar to other existing ones, while still being fun to use. Stunning could perhaps be a separate action and not combined with slip out of grapple?
I live for misfires.