The1TrueFredrix
Topic Author

One interview to rule them all

Sat 23 Jan 2021, 11:54

Check out our latest podcast which features an hour long interview all about The One Ring! We get the scoops! Francesco Nepitello tells us about growing up gaming in Venice, his design apprenticeship, creating #lexarcana and #theonering and almost not(!) bringing it to Free League Publishing. Martin Takaichi confirms the story, tells us about the look, and spills the secrets about the forthcoming Kickstarter campaign. Will it be Free League’s biggest yet?
https://www.effektpodcast.org/149
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Ghorin

Re: One interview to rule them all

Sat 23 Jan 2021, 12:24

Thank you @The1TrueFredrix, I've been waiting for a long time to get news from TOR 2.

Falenthal

Sat 23 Jan 2021, 13:29

Thanks for the interview!
News from afar were needed badly.

Carcharoth

Sun 24 Jan 2021, 17:59

I'm just about to start TOR session with my group. I can't wait to listen this afternoon!
"Of all the terrors that came ever into Beleriand ere Angband’s fall the madness of Carcharoth was the most dreadful; for the power of the Silmaril was hidden within him."
- The Silmarillion

Otaku-sempai

Sun 24 Jan 2021, 18:06

Thanks! I suspected there might be a Kickstarter campaign, but wasn't sure.

I hope that, even with the upcoming focus on Eriador, TOR 2.0 doesn't take too long to explore Gondor. The main challenge with Eriador is that it is just so desolate. We have Lindon, the Grey Havens and the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains in the west, Rivendell in the east, and the Shire and Bree-land in between, but not not much to the south since even Tharbad is in ruins (unless we go off-script, so to speak). We have other isolated pockets where people dwell, few and far apart, but nothing else that is counted as civilization. I do wonder if the new edition is going to take a look at the Lossoth in the Bay of Forochel as well as the region of Forodwaith.

Other regions close to Wilderland that remain unexplored in the first edition include East Rhovanion, Dorwinion and other cultures around the Inland Sea of Rhûn.
#FideltyToTolkien

Carcharoth

Mon 25 Jan 2021, 01:29

After listening to the interview, I feel more confident than ever that this edition is going to be spectacular. Listening to Francesco reveal how he used the downtime while looking for a new publisher to refine the design even further makes me feel like the wait will be worth it!
"Of all the terrors that came ever into Beleriand ere Angband’s fall the madness of Carcharoth was the most dreadful; for the power of the Silmaril was hidden within him."
- The Silmarillion

Kazibar

Thu 28 Jan 2021, 10:35

I must admit to being faintly disappointed. Great to get SOME news. But the last two gaming Kickstarters I did took well over a year to come to fruition. The longer it is, the less likely my campaign will swap. I was hoping for a release in q1. I can’t see it before q4...

Otaku-sempai

Thu 28 Jan 2021, 16:15

I must admit to being faintly disappointed. Great to get SOME news. But the last two gaming Kickstarters I did took well over a year to come to fruition. The longer it is, the less likely my campaign will swap. I was hoping for a release in q1. I can’t see it before q4...
The last estimate that I've seen places the release in the first half of this year, so we'll see.
#FideltyToTolkien

TuorTheBlessed

Thu 28 Jan 2021, 17:50

I’ve backed a handful of kickstarters and it really depends. Sometimes the publisher is pretty much ready to go they just need to gauge interest and then print the right amount of content, so only a matter of months. But obviously some projects have gone much longer than that, especially if they are still designing content. We’ll see soon hopefully how finished this second edition is.

jamesrbrown

Fri 29 Jan 2021, 06:58

Excellent interview from start to finish guys! Congratulations! My biggest takeaways from this were that Francesco can no longer say that we can take characters from 1st edition and play in 2nd edition without making changes (rather than slight adjustments), and that in the starter set we'll be playing famous Hobbits from the books and creating their backstories. Can't wait to see what Lobelia Sackville-Baggins is like to play!

One of my favorite parts of The Fellowship of the Ring, Chapter I: A Long-expected Party, is when Tolkien describes all of Bilbo's fitting parting gifts.

For LOBELIA SACKVILLE-BAGGINS, as a PRESENT; on a case of silver spoons. Bilbo believed that she had acquired a good many of his spoons, while he was away on his former journey. Lobelia knew that quite well. When she arrived later in the day, she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

I was just listening to this last week on audiobook and it really made me laugh.