Tolwen
Topic Author

Other Minds Magazine - new Issue published!

Sun 25 Oct 2020, 17:43

Hello All!
After some - longer than usual - delay, Other Minds Magazine, Issue 23 has finally been published. You can find it under this link.

Inside its 101 pages, you will find the following content:
  • Fineprint: All the legal stuff.
  • Table of Content: Overview of what you can fin in here.
  • Editorial: Some ramblings of your editor about the current Issue and other related stuff.
  • The Road Goes Ever On: What is out there on our favourite topic.
  • Inside Information: Some news (recent and not-so-recent) on Middle-earth gaming and lore topics.
  • Ravens in the North: A campaign outline for the late tA and set in former Angmar/northern Eriador.
  • The Lossoth: Background information and TOR mechanics for the lands of the Far North.
  • Below the Surface: A murder mystery adventure set in Dale during the reconstruction of the city, leading the Heroes in the dungeons below the town.
  • Secrets of Wilderland: Some legends of the ancient past for use with a TOR campaign in Wilderland the late TA.
  • Encountering Dragons: Some thoughts about when and where to dragons plus mechanics (MERP, TOR and AME) for a new use of dragons.
  • The Wings of Malady: An adventure set in Rohan and Fangorn - revolving around a mysterious ailment of prince Théoden of Rohan.
  • Long Journey to Deephallow: A hobbit-centric adventure in southern Buckland, building on the background information found in Buckleberry Tales from Issue #19.
Have fun with the content of this Issue and feel free to ask any questions or leave comments either here or on our Facebook page (see below for link).
Please also take note that there are likely still some errors (either typos or content-related) contained in this first file. Actually, we have already been pointed to some and around early October we will publish an update fixing all these issues.
Please contact us for anything you might sppot. Experience has shown that despite several stages of proofreading there is always something that slips through. At least we will hunt it down and eliminate it from the final file :)

For the OM team
Thomas
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for role-playing in Middle-earth.

Other Minds also on Facebook!

Otaku-sempai

Re: Other Minds Magazine - new Issue published!

Mon 26 Oct 2020, 04:09

As someone who wrote his own home-brew for the Lossoth and a TOR Guide to Forodwaith (unfortunately Doug Joos tells me that the Hall of Fire webzine is suspended for the foreseeable future), I'm interested to check out this version. I was pretty liberal concerning the wildlife of the Far North. In a world where the Mûmakil exist, woolly rhinos and mastodons don't seem like too much of a stretch. My take on the Lossoth was to imagine them as the ancestors of the light-haired Sámi people of modern Scandinavia.
#FideltyToTolkien

bveld

Mon 26 Oct 2020, 20:11

It is great news Thomas! Very much looking forward to reading it.

Vuriche

Tue 03 Nov 2020, 23:43

It's a great honour to be featured in this issue! How has the proof-reading come along? I know I noticed a few errors in my own text-file after I had sent in the last draft and I did pick up on a few things as I read the other articles in the issue - on my phone as it were, so I haven't recorded them. I could, if it's still of interest.
Last edited by Vuriche on Fri 28 Jan 2022, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

Tolwen
Topic Author

Sun 10 Jan 2021, 13:19

Hello All!
almost perfectly on schedule, Other Minds Magazine, Issue 24 has been published. You can find it under this link. Our Facebook group is found here.

Inside its 77 pages, you will find the following content:
  • Fineprint: All the legal stuff.
  • Table of Content: Overview of what you can fin in here.
  • Editorial: Some ramblings of your editor about the current Issue and other related stuff.
  • The Road Goes Ever On: What is out there on our favourite topic.
    Inside Information: Some news (recent and not-so-recent) on Middle-earth gaming and lore topics.
  • Blood in the Waters: A short adventure for a beginner's comapny set in Rhovanion.
  • Fourth Age of Middle-earth: A short outline for developing the histories of the Fourth Age.
  • Ravens and Crows: Some thoughts about how Tolkien developed these birds for Middle-earth plus a suggested in-world background for it.
  • TOR Guide to the Lands of Lindon: A brief overview of Lindon and its people for use with TOR.
  • The Sisters and the Sea: A short story about the adventures of three Hobbit sisters beyond the borders of the Shire.
  • The Haunted Lake - A Shire Adventure: A short Hobbit-centric adventure in Eriador, north of the Shire.
  • Of Ghosts and Goblins: A short and more light-hearted adventure in Rhovanion, suited as a short interlude.
  • A Mass Abduction: The first adventure for the 'Ravens in the North' campaign as outlined in Issue #23.
Have fun with the content of this Issue and feel free to ask any questions or leave comments either here or on our Facebook page (see below for link).
Please also take note that there are likely still some errors (either typos or content-related) contained in this first file. Actually, we have already been pointed to some and will publish an update fixing all these issues.
Please contact us for anything you might sppot. Experience has shown that despite several stages of proofreading there is always something that slips through. At least we will hunt it down and eliminate it from the final file.

For the OM team
Thomas
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for role-playing in Middle-earth.

Otaku-sempai

Sun 10 Jan 2021, 17:36

Thank you so much, Thomas, for including THREE of my submissions in the new issue! I doubt I'll have that many published simultaneously again any time soon. I'm looking forward to finding out what I got wrong or what I could have done better. The other articles and adventures look terrific too, though I've only skimmed the issue so far.
#FideltyToTolkien

Tolwen
Topic Author

Sun 10 Jan 2021, 19:20

You're welcome! It was a pleasure to have these contributions in there. Do not hesiatte to send me any feedback or questions you might have regarding improvements, changes etc.
This is what OM is - a living platform for many viewing angles on Middle-earth and gaming therein.

Have fun!

Best
Thomas

Tolwen
Topic Author

Thu 23 Dec 2021, 15:11

Dear All!
The long wait is over Issue#25 (87 pages) of our magazine has been published!
Beside the usual sections, this Issue brings you the following contributions:
  • A Chief's Challenge by Andreas Erdmann. The second instalment of Andreas' 'Ravens in the North' campaign.
  • The Making of FanlonMapFont by Christian. A TrueType Font to emulate the one found on MERP's maps.
  • The Hagavorl and the Borderers of the Eredoriath ca. T.A. 861-1411 by David Feeney. Description of a border fortification and associated culture in mid-T.A. Cardolan. Inspired by MERP's Lost Realm of Cardolan.
  • Ringlann and north-western Palisor in the First Age by Gariele Quaglia. Description of the lands east of Rhovanion in the First Age.
  • A TOR Guide to the Blue Mountains by Andrew Laubacher. Short description of Lindon for use with TOR.
  • The Dwarf-city of Hargrod - Jewel of the Blue Mountains by Andrew Laubacher. Short description of the dwarven city of Hargrod in the southern Blue Mountains.
Have fun with reading this Issue and please give us feedback - especially typos or other issues you spot. Speaking from experience, I am pretty sure we will need at least one update to weed out all of them.
And please share this announcement freely to all those interested - as well as the Other Minds Facebook group. We welcome everyone - the bigger our community, the better!

You can download the Issue directly under this link.

For the OM team
Thomas
Last edited by Tolwen on Fri 31 Dec 2021, 00:18, edited 3 times in total.

Otaku-sempai

Thu 23 Dec 2021, 16:21

Thanks for the heads up, Tolwen! Can't wait to see how my articles turned out. And looking forward to the rest of the issue. I do wish that I could have furnished maps for Hargrod, but I'm crap as an artist. I haven't been actively working on anything else recently, though I have some drafts involving the lands and people of East Rhovanion and Dorwinion. The material has been lying fallow for a while now.

A bit of errata for the "TOR Guide to the Blue Mountains". For the second edition of The One Ring the Halls of the Dwarves are no longer located near the source of the Lesser Lune. The Halls are now located some hundred or so miles to the south, roughly half-way to Mithlond.

In terms of general Tolkien news, there isn't anything to report yet about the Lord of the Rings: War of the Rohirrim anime movie from New Line Cinema/Warner Bros. Animation beyond the original announcement. Amazon Prime's The Lord of the Rings Second Age series is moving production to the U.K. for the show's second season.
#FideltyToTolkien

Calle

Sun 26 Dec 2021, 13:02

Thank you! Amazing stuff! Love it! <3