aramis
Topic Author

While we wait

Thu 17 Sep 2020, 03:31

The worst part of the kickstarter is the wait...

... but I'm curious to know why the various members backed. So, in the meantime...

I backed because I loved the setting, but not the rules, from prior editions.

How about y'all?
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

hiro

Re: While we wait

Thu 17 Sep 2020, 06:07

I backed because...

Back when the original came out it didn't attract my group, myself included. I'd dabbled with the Morrow Project before but for similar reasons, the setting just wasn't our cup of tea.

All these years later, the idea of a "gritty" sandbox game in a location that I can identify with and use (mostly) current maps and details to play in is really appealing.

I hope that, as a gear head, the game can retain the earlier version's detail while keeping it moving and not bogged down in unnecessary detail. Having unique dimensions for actual weapons and gear that are known and don't have to be guessed or calculated makes for good detail. Rules that distinguish between the damage of a 5.56mm vs 5.45mm round or, heaven forbid, 9mm vs .45, not so much.

This will be my first Fria Ligan game so I can't speak from experience of their systems. I am hoping that the system is well thought through and internally consistent. My memory of games in the 80s is that the rules weren't and had more holes than they should, back then we just got on and played them but since the internet came along, they seem poorly written and dated. A contemporary take on one of the original sand box games is attractive.

FL seem to be held in high regard and that along with the production quality (read artwork) of the books had me sign up for the printed version. This might be the first printed game I've bought in 10 years.

A friend I played my most recent Traveller game with has an original campaign for T2k 2.2 set in the area from Bardufoss to Murmansk. Plan is to each referee a group from opposite sides so we can both play and referee, I've had a break from gaming since my kid was born a couple of years ago and I'm really looking forward to getting back into it with this rule set/setting.

Oddball_E8

Thu 17 Sep 2020, 17:25

The worst part of the kickstarter is the wait...

... but I'm curious to know why the various members backed. So, in the meantime...

I backed because I loved the setting, but not the rules, from prior editions.

How about y'all?
Same here.

Love the setting, not the rules.

omnipus

Thu 17 Sep 2020, 20:17

Oh man -- The Morrow Project. Haven't thought about that in a long time! That might be something worth rebooting (even just house rules). Could be fun but even back when the rules seemed pretty outdated.

Agree with most of hiro's thoughts in general. I think FL puts together thoughtful, playable systems with beautiful design + execution. I was already planning to set up a campaign using one of their systems, just hadn't decided which, when I found out T2K was coming back. So I figure why not, let's check it out. These days I tend to prefer more cinematic/heroic systems and settings, but as a longtime fan of the series, I had to check it out even if it just ends up sitting on the shelf with the rest of them!
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

Langdolin

Thu 17 Sep 2020, 23:14

I started playing the original and have played the reboots. Love the setting. So I backed this one as well. Now to find a crew to play it.

Evildrsmith

Fri 18 Sep 2020, 13:32

1st Edition player.
Towards the end of last year, I dug out a load of unpainted 20mm figures I had bought (many, many years ago) primarily to use with T:2k, and decided for no particular reason to paint them.
Then the KS for 4th edition was announced.
I can take a hint...
Perhaps slightly more sensibly - T2K was one of my favourite RPGs way back, and I just wanted to see what FL have done with it / see the game continue.

Rabelais

Mon 21 Sep 2020, 07:24

Oh man -- The Morrow Project. Haven't thought about that in a long time! That might be something worth rebooting (even just house rules). Could be fun but even back when the rules seemed pretty outdated.
Morrow Project is one of those games where the concept is brilliant, basically Post-Apocalyptic Red Cross/Humanitarian Aid group. Part Gamma World, part Doctors Without Borders. A rules light version would be amazing.

hiro

Mon 21 Sep 2020, 07:31

Morrow Project is one of those games where the concept is brilliant, basically Post-Apocalyptic Red Cross/Humanitarian Aid group. Part Gamma World, part Doctors Without Borders. A rules light version would be amazing.
sounds like we should have requested it as a goal in the KS!

:lol:

Arrigo74

Mon 21 Sep 2020, 22:36

Like the original setting, but at the time my RPG group was only D&D... grabbed supplements while they were still available out of personal interest, I also like a lot of the GDW games linked to the subject. Gathered by 'extra-territorial- means the bulk of the material in the year. I was not tempted by the 2013 edition.

I backed it now because... I am looking to a decent system where you can use handful of troops and vehicles and be reasonable. I like the equipment of the era (in part because I served right at the end for a little time... in part because I grew up in the cold war), but found using on the table basically unreasonable with 15mm and 28mm. Decided it could be decent miniature port to be used with my 15mm stuff. I also like the way the people at FL are presenting their project. Maps and counters look wargame too me. Hopefully they will also have something like GDW Last Battle, anf the whole thing will be readily transferable to minis. Fingers crossed. At worst like a good source book.
Who watches the watchers? Who moderates the moderators?

Ursus Maior

Tue 22 Sep 2020, 09:59

There are so many light systems available these days, Morrow Project should easily fit into one, e. g. Cepheus Atom: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/32 ... t_filtered
liber & infractus