Fenhorn

Re: Corebook Errata

Wed 15 Apr 2020, 00:00

Is there an errata for the colonial marshal to change manipulation to command as a key skill?

Because the authority talent (lets you substitute command in place of manipulation) is not useful if manipulation is his key skill instead of command because manipulation will always be higher than command. command seems to make far more sense for a marshal anyway.
If you take the Authority talent, you know that you can roll for Command instead of Manipulation. So when creating a character you save one Skill Point by not put any Skill Points in Manipulation, putting one in Command (and the rest of the Skill Points elsewhere). Technically you now have 1 in Command and Manipulation and when you increase the Command skill, you technically also have increased the Manipulation skill.

So, you might not have 3 in Manipulation from start, only 1 in Command, but in the long run you will save a lot of experience points.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Vindictus

Wed 15 Apr 2020, 02:00

If you take the Authority talent, you know that you can roll for Command instead of Manipulation. So when creating a character you save one Skill Point by not put any Skill Points in Manipulation, putting one in Command

If you do that youre at a severe disadvantage compared to other starting characters. Because not only do you have a talent that basically does nothing at the start, you also only have two skills above 1, and for the talent to ever pay off you have to somehow survive long enough to significantly improve your command skill in a game that frequently and unapologetically kills characters off (your survival being even less likely due to the gimped nature of your character and the fact youre putting all your xp in command instead of something far more useful). Thats indefensibly awful. Rules as written, the Authority talent is really bad for colonial marshals.

So if theres not currently errata that swaps manipulation and command as key skills for the Colonial Marshal then there needs to be. Or colonial marshal should get a different talent entirely.

And yeah I get that some choices are thematic and not all choices should be based on power level but the problem is Colonial marshal is already one of the more underpowered classes given its poor talent choices, weak starting gear, and the fact that 2 of its 3 key skills dont align at all with its wits key attribute. Theres very little incentive to play colonial marshal as is. Even the pilot without piloting is a better character.

My suggestions are: swap command and manipulation as key skills (or give marshals a different talent) and let colonial marshals start with armor and a scoped rifle. marshals dont have to be on par with marines but they shouldnt be worse than kids in most combat situations.

Prectar

Thu 23 Apr 2020, 17:07

Under the PVP bit on page 32, it says "This means that you should be think very carefully before acting
against the common interest of the group,..."

That should probably be either:

"This means that you
should think very carefully before acting
against the common interest of the group,.."

or

"This means that you should be very careful before acting against the common interest of the group,.."

Jonbertsch

Sat 25 Apr 2020, 16:03

Evade has been removed from the list of actions on pg. 192 but is it still listed on pg. 196 under Fire Weapon, "If the pilot of the target ship Evades (see above), each "6" they roll...” guessing it should have been taken out.

Gebohq

Sat 13 Jun 2020, 22:31

I had a player recently point out to me that the Wilson character in Chariot of the Gods does not follow the rules correctly for character creation. The Key Attribute for Company Agent is Wits, and only your Key Attribute can be a 5 (or higher if an android) but Wilson has a 5 in Empathy instead. Is there something I'm missing, or is this an issue? (And if the latter, are there recommended revisions to the stats for Wilson?)
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net

Vindictus

Sun 14 Jun 2020, 17:18

I dont think its an issue because none of the starter characters really follow the character creation rules anyway

A lot of them have 2s in skills that arnt associated with their key attribute. The highest those skills should be is 1.

I think the purpose of the character creation rules is more to prevent players from creating min/maxed characters. But when the GM creates characters they dont necessarily have to follow the character creation rules.

Professor Phobos

Tue 21 Jul 2020, 20:15

Shouldn't the CM-90S Corvus have planetfall capability? The Anesidora lands on LV-426 in Alien: Isolation, which is the source for that ship type.

(And also because it's the suggested ship for "Frontier Colonist" campaign play and it seems a bit odd it wouldn't be able to land at a frontier colony)

FredBlogs

Sun 17 Dec 2023, 08:30

If you take the Authority talent, you know that you can roll for Command instead of Manipulation. So when creating a character you save one Skill Point by not put any Skill Points in Manipulation, putting one in Command

If you do that youre at a severe disadvantage compared to other starting characters. Because not only do you have a talent that basically does nothing at the start, you also only have two skills above 1, and for the talent to ever pay off you have to somehow survive long enough to significantly improve your command skill in a game that frequently and unapologetically kills characters off (your survival being even less likely due to the gimped nature of your character and the fact youre putting all your xp in command instead of something far more useful). Thats indefensibly awful. Rules as written, the Authority talent is really bad for colonial marshals.

So if theres not currently errata that swaps manipulation and command as key skills for the Colonial Marshal then there needs to be. Or colonial marshal should get a different talent entirely.

And yeah I get that some choices are thematic and not all choices should be based on power level but the problem is Colonial marshal is already one of the more underpowered classes given its poor talent choices, weak starting gear, and the fact that 2 of its 3 key skills dont align at all with its wits key attribute. Theres very little incentive to play colonial marshal as is. Even the pilot without piloting is a better character.

My suggestions are: swap command and manipulation as key skills (or give marshals a different talent) and let colonial marshals start with armor and a scoped rifle. marshals dont have to be on par with marines but they shouldnt be worse than kids in most combat situations.
Totally agree with this reasoning and the suggestion. We have just started a campaign and the player looking to play a Colonial Marshal cannot see any reason to take the Authority talent as written. Taking a major disadvantage at the start to perhaps gain an advantage much later (if you survive) is not a good option. Also, the point made above about the Marshal's talents not matching their key attribute is well made. I also get themed choices, but no one wants to play a poor character. Just for the record, we are going with the suggestion to swap Command for Manipulation, as it makes more sense.