Pily

Re: What's wrong with the Alien franchise – and how it can be fixed

Sat 03 Aug 2019, 11:32

I will not talk about the AVP stuff as its separate and this is my own opinion on the films/games/comics

(Alien)( survival horror) and again in my opinion the best of all the alien films. By the way the alien looked to the way it's (nest) turnt people into the alien egg over time.

(Aliens) ( action horror)this is my secend best one. I do like the look of the planet also the gear and ships. But i was not really a fan of the queen alien nor the aliens.

(Alien 3) (trying to be a action horror) i hated this film from the look of the CGI alien and this is where it starts to go down hill in my opinion

(aliens 4 resurrection) i don't think i need to say to much about this film other than it was bad very bad

(prometheus) (Exploration/action horror) this film was visually stunning from the planet to the ships. Also this is where we see the black goo for the first time and it was nice to see something different also this is where we can see what the black goo can do to you if you touch it or fall into it or drink it ending in mutations and braking your genetics down from within We also see Engineers for the first time which was nice and we see some other new things. But this is where it starts to go down hill from here on in from not really explaining things pr things not making sense to the dumb crew. But as a hole the film was ok

(AlienCovenant)(Exploration/action horror) again this film is visually stunning and the new things i liked was bloodbuster/neomorph. The planet and the egg spores. But from the get go you can see just how dumb the crew are going to be yet again. From landing on the planet and stomping on things to touching things they have never seem before and i am being nice as i could mention a lot more. I do believe Prometheus was better.

(Alien isolation) the game was good in my opinion but the other alien games not so good

(Also i would read the comics if you have not so already)

But will have to wait for the last film to see if they can turn it around but the last 2 films one was okish and the secend was poor again just my opinion

Ash

Sat 03 Aug 2019, 12:38

(prometheus) (Exploration/action horror) this film was visually stunning from the planet to the ships. Also this is where we see the black goo for the first time and it was nice to see something different also this is where we can see what the black goo can do to you if you touch it or fall into it or drink it ending in mutations and braking your genetics down from within We also see Engineers for the first time which was nice and we see some other new things. But this is where it starts to go down hill from here on in from not really explaining things pr things not making sense to the dumb crew. But as a hole the film was ok

(AlienCovenant)(Exploration/action horror) again this film is visually stunning and the new things  i liked was bloodbuster/neomorph. The planet and the egg spores. But from the get go you can see just how dumb the crew are going to be yet again. From landing on the planet and stomping on things to touching things they have never seem before and i am being nice as i could mention a lot more. I do believe Prometheus was better.
I agree with the dumb crew thing, but on the other hand, that's quite literally the message conveyed by the movies. Humans are stupid, selfish, prideful, driven by a blind faith, etc. So ok, maybe they are a bit too stupid, but that doesn't bother me that much. Also, in Alien, characters are pretty dumb too (like Dallas chasing the xeno alone in the air duct or Ripley risking everything to save Jonesy).

HamsterOfWrath

Sat 03 Aug 2019, 12:43

Honestly if you watch Prometheus and Covenant after imbibing your favourite alcoholic beverage, then having the Yakkity Sax music playing in the background whenever there's an action scene they become much more watchable. :)

Pily

Sat 03 Aug 2019, 14:51

(AlienCovenant)(Exploration/action horror) again this film is visually stunning and the new things  i liked was bloodbuster/neomorph. The planet and the egg spores. But from the get go you can see just how dumb the crew are going to be yet again. From landing on the planet and stomping on things to touching things they have never seem before and i am being nice as i could mention a lot more. I do believe Prometheus was better.
I agree with the dumb crew thing, but on the other hand, that's quite literally the message conveyed by the movies. Humans are stupid, selfish, prideful, driven by a blind faith, etc. So ok, maybe they are a bit too stupid, but that doesn't bother me that much. Also, in Alien, characters are pretty dumb too (like Dallas chasing the xeno alone in the air duct or Ripley risking everything to save Jonesy).
I do agree but in most films they start of with someone being a bit dumb or making a mistake that leads to something in this case it was Kane sticking his face near an egg. But you have people like Lambert not wanting to go in side the ship. And then you have Ripley saying she won't let them on board in case of contamination and then you have parker saying freeze Kane but we all know later on that Ash is the one helping it. And because Dallas was the captain I'm sure he thought it was his job to try and get it to the airlock. and it might have worked if it was not for Ash. and this is the difference between the Prometheus and covenant crew they would have been picking the eggs up and walking around with them lol (but My golden rule is if you don't know what it is stay back 8-) )

Moderator Action: Changed the oversized emoji to a smiley of a more moderate size.
- Fenhorn

wilhuf

Sat 03 Aug 2019, 16:52

One obvious plot for a film would be an Alien infestation of Earth and how to deal with that. Put the scope of the Alien threat as existential to all of Earth, rather than a small crew/squad. This was probably covered in comic books, but I don't know, I haven't read through any Alien comic books. Didn't the comics have something about the navigators? They seemed more .. elephantine.

Then again, it sounds like a 1950s film plot. Or a plot from any decade.

Crews doing dumb things makes perfect sense. They're great examples of character knowledge vs. audience knowledge. I'd imagine that Alien Tabletop RPG gameplay will thrive when players, despite their metagame knowledge of the danger, shove their character's heads right next to a never-before-seen egglike carapace—you know, to get a good look. 

If we're logical, we'd never board the Montero, because we know as players that our characters could be killed. But we board anyway because that's the whole point.

Also, dreadlocks are great
We're at our safest when we're not working.

Jhea

Sat 03 Aug 2019, 18:01

The alien franchise had some fin books before part 3 and 4 were released.
there were 3 books
Aliens: Earth Hive
Aliens: Nightmare Asylum
Aliens: The female War

https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Steve_Perry

every movie after alien 2 is bad fanfiction imo, and only this series of books is what i consider to be somewhat canon and enjoyable... 

ok alien 3 on fury something is also an interesting part. i just don't like that the cut half of the movie to make it shorter and shwo it in cinema. it tells a whole different story imo, easpecially when that lunatic guy releases the alien after they caught it the first time ;D
I don't need a fancy signature quote from some dude, everything i say is pure gold! ~ myself

Jhea

Sat 03 Aug 2019, 18:02

One obvious plot for a film would be an Alien infestation of Earth and how to deal with that. Put the scope of the Alien threat as existential to all of Earth, rather than a small crew/squad. This was probably covered in comic books, but I don't know, I haven't read through any Alien comic books. Didn't the comics have something about the navigators? They seemed more .. elephantine.
here you go
https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Aliens:_Earth_Hive
I don't need a fancy signature quote from some dude, everything i say is pure gold! ~ myself

Pily

Sat 03 Aug 2019, 18:35

The alien franchise had some fin books before part 3 and 4 were released.
there were 3 books
Aliens: Earth Hive
Aliens: Nightmare Asylum
Aliens: The female War

https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Steve_Perry

every movie after alien 2 is bad fanfiction imo, and only this series of books is what i consider to be somewhat canon and enjoyable... 

ok alien 3 on fury something is also an interesting part. i just don't like that the cut half of the movie to make it shorter and shwo it in cinema. it tells a whole different story imo, easpecially when that lunatic guy releases the alien after they caught it the first time ;D
Now i have not read it but someone told me about it regarding alien covenant book saying the book is a very interesting thing and they said if it was in the film it would have been better. I myself have not read all the book/comics but some of them are very good

wilhuf

Sun 04 Aug 2019, 01:34

Thanks Jhea. The plot doesn't sound half-bad. Religious extremists unleash an Alien infestation on Earth that threatens to consume the entire planet. That totally would happen these days.
We're at our safest when we're not working.

Jhea

Sun 04 Aug 2019, 13:13

Thanks Jhea. The plot doesn't sound half-bad. Religious extremists unleash an Alien infestation on Earth that threatens to consume the entire planet. That totally would happen these days.
possibly spoiler... or teaser

Best Part of the story is, when those religious extremists get into the alien queens hive and offer themselves to be hosts, the queen looks utterly confused.

I almost spat my drink back when i read that first.
first some preachery tv shows etc, since that queen communicates telepathically...
second some tintense firefight to get in the complex where she is held...
and then offering and leaving a confused queen.
^^