AlexanderMars
Topic Author

Character background

Mon 10 Jun 2019, 03:40

I’m hoping some system is introduced in the campaign mode rules for having starting characters with more professional seniority. The old Leading Edge Aliens Adventure Game(which I’m shortening to LEAAG After typing that) had many shortcomings, but the “tour of duty” mechanics letting you quickly create a detailed character background(as long as it was for a marine) was actually a pretty great feature.

Maybe civilian/military “authority” could be “purchased” at some point during character creation, something beyond the GM saying “mike you’re a captain and Dave you’re Sr VP” maybe you guys have already figured something out. Just wanted to throw my vote out there.

The1TrueFredrix

Re: Character background

Mon 10 Jun 2019, 10:18

There are two ways this could happen based on other Y0E systems. The core rules could include a random character creator like Legends and Adventurers in Forbidden Lands, and/or there could be purchasable “authority” Talents  
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

AlexanderMars
Topic Author

Re: Character background

Mon 10 Jun 2019, 13:07

I’m probably in the purchasable camp, random tables are great for speed but lack narrative impetus I would want in character creation. Also, from time to time you end up with characters that don’t always make sense in the overall narrative, which is annoying as a GM. I’m think we’re playing an elite special ops team, and one of the characters has been drummed out of the military on a court-martial before we begin. Of course you just re-roll, but then why bother printing up the table anyway. Better to have a mechanic that allows the players to “invest” in their characters backstory.