Astro_Val

Re: Magic: Divine or Arcane Wisdom?

Fri 06 Oct 2017, 22:12

Hello

new here (coming right off my backing of the kickstarter today).

I would like to voice a preference:

I'm fond of magic sub-systems in which you are given a bit of creativity; the option of something a bit more high fantasy-ish

I don't mean D&D style by that. A lot of people confuse the two. I don't mean omnipotent wizards..

What I mean is magic users not feeling useless and able to shape powers to their will (or at least try to)

I think a nice example of a dark/grounded folklorish european universe that has-at the same time-powerful but creative (especially in combat) magic 
is Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. If that helps.

So I am wondering what kind of feel the finalized product will have. In any case whatever I have read about the game overall, so far,  I've loved ;)

King_Kull

Sat 07 Oct 2017, 01:25

Yeah, my point, Astro_Val: magic users don’t have to feel useless therefore I‘m no friend of Mana Points and spells once used are gone.
I am king!

Astro_Val

Sat 07 Oct 2017, 05:34

Btw really hope that there is no divine casting. To DnD for me.
Agreed. Or if there has to be one maybe make it a miracle system; completely different to arcane.

Also I ve seen enough of battlepriest-tanks in rpgs. Maybe avoid that too (although I doubt this world will have them)

Astro_Val

Sat 07 Oct 2017, 05:41

Yeah, my point, Astro_Val: magic users don’t have to feel useless therefore I‘m no friend of Mana Points and spells once used are gone.
Agreed on the flavor then. It can be a gritty (even low magic?) unique to the world system;
 and still have powerful -or at least creative- mages instead of it being just another world for martial characters and their weaker, petty magic dabbler folk.

I think D&D gives High Fantasy a bad rep..anyway..

Hmm, there is a way for mana systems to be made and still the characters being what we talked about (depends on implementation)
its just one of the ways for them to feel depletion/fatigue etc.

But the 'once used then gone' I wholeheartedly agree! It's too Vancian therefore too D&D and I don't want to see it anywhere near FL.

King_Kull

Sat 07 Oct 2017, 08:29

Agreed on the flavor then. It can be a gritty (even low magic?) unique to the world system;
 and still have powerful -or at least creative- mages instead of it being just another world for martial characters and their weaker, petty magic dabbler folk.

Hmm, there is a way for mana systems to be made and still the characters being what we talked about (depends on implementation)

But the 'once used then gone' I wholeheartedly agree! It's too Vancian therefore too D&D and I don't want to see it anywhere near FL.
But will the fighter feel fatigued? When there is a Mana Pool there have to be one or two spells (nothing powerful) that a caster should use every time like At-Will spells in 13th Age or Cantrips in 5th Edition.
I am king!

Peter

Sat 07 Oct 2017, 09:57

I think Mana/Magic Points make sense - it fits well with Fria Ligans other systems and is a pretty pragmatic way to manage the power level of casters. And we know it will take the form of Willpower - it may be that all classes can draw on willpower - not just for Magic.

Obviously you have to get the balance right, but I've never felt that there is a game play issue with Magic Points as such. And as I think someone has pointed out it's actually a lot less restrictive than spell slots.

Look forward to see what Ligan are planning...!
Check out my BoL heroic migration period hack - Barbarians of the Dark Ages
Kolla mitt ny-klassika BRP-derivat - Monster och Människor

Harper

Sat 07 Oct 2017, 10:16

Well they could have free supernatural abilities, low level powers that are not as powerful as spells, 
But if they already have mana points listed on the character sheet there's not much else you can do,

King_Kull

Sat 07 Oct 2017, 10:19

I have to stress this point: one lesser spell has to. E a rote spell for the magic user. Personally I don’t want to see a caster that has to use a weapon to be of importance in combat. For me such a solution is boring. If the player takes a rote spell that helps or heals ally, okay it’s his choice, but I hope to see one spell without cost - because a fighter can swing his weapon all the time.
I am king!

Harper

Sat 07 Oct 2017, 10:22

Well D&D is it's own trope, and you really can't avoid the parallels to that game if this is to retain that retro feel, as that game was the instergater,
I agree with the rest of what you've stated, i hope there is flavour

Harper

Sat 07 Oct 2017, 10:26

I have to stress this point: one lesser spell has to. E a rote spell for the magic user. Personally I don’t want to see a caster that has to use a weapon to be of importance in combat. For me such a solution is boring. If the player takes a rote spell that helps or heals ally, okay it’s his choice, but I hope to see one spell without cost - because a fighter can swing his weapon all the time.
Yeah, but tradionally magic users at later levels do a lot more damage than a fighter can do with a sword, 
But yeah, I get were you are coming from, more utility from the magic users at lower levels