Mike65
Topic Author

Weaknesses and Experience

Sat 15 Jun 2024, 11:30

Hi folks,

I'm revisiting the experience rules on page 29 and I see there is a difference between giving in to your weakness and ignoring it.

Giving in to your weakness grants you an advancement mark whereas ignoring your weakness earns two marks.

It seems as though ignoring your weakness is easier to do, playing to your weakness requires good role-playing. After ignoring and losing your weakness you must wait a game session before gaining a new weakness which you can immediately dump if you were that kind of player (my group don't play that way...well...one them).

I guess the net result is the same--two checks over two sessions for discarding the weakness and potentially one per session for acting on and retaining a weakness. I say "potentially" as an opportunity to give in to your weakness may not arise during a session, in which case the character misses out on the benefit of a mark.

I'm just curious to learn the thinking behind the rule. In my game, you are stuck with the weakness unless you manage to complete a difficult, related, mission or a role-playing opportunity arises to realistically free yourself from the weakness.

Thanks in advance.

Short Fey

Re: Weaknesses and Experience

Sat 15 Jun 2024, 23:11

I would argue it's not about ignoring your weakness, but in character overcoming your weakness.

Let's say i play a scholar, and my weakness is kleptomania. If i see something nice and valuable, i wanna grab it, even if it is obviously boobytrapt.

If i act out my weakness, then i get an advancement mark at the end of the session for adding a bit of drama for trying to grab something shiny and get impailed by the trap for my trouble.

If i ignore my weakness and let our thief check for traps, i am not acting out my weakness so no advancment mark. But i have'nt done anything in character to grow out of this flaw so it stays.

A better example for getting rid of my weakness for two advancment marks would be my character nearly causing the death of one of my companions due to my kleptomania (trigger a trap that might have hit someone else really hard), and thus vowing to never cause something like that to ever happen again (with their new weakness being becoming cowardly towards any trap, urging to leave treasure well enough alone to not trigger any potential traps).

Presumably as it is fairlr roleplay heavy it is this reason it is listed as an optional rule.
Beware the fey!

Mike65
Topic Author

Re: Weaknesses and Experience

Mon 17 Jun 2024, 05:05

Thanks for the response Short Fey. Appreciated.