Mahatatain
Topic Author

Water Rations Consumption

Fri 07 Jun 2024, 10:03

In the RAW a character needs to consume 1 water ration per day. That doesn't take the weather into account, however.

I'm running a game that is set in the Caribbean and I'm thinking of saying that due to the temperatures (and potentially the humidity) a character needs to consume 2 water rations per day. Do other referees think that that is fair?

Thanks for any feedback.

paladin2019

Re: Water Rations Consumption

Fri 07 Jun 2024, 12:47

Nope I mean, yep, adjusting for non-European climates is entirely appropriate.

FatherJ_ct

Mon 10 Jun 2024, 10:12

Yes, hotter climates would require more water, so upping to 2 water rations a day is fair. 3 if hard marching/lots of activity. :) Though it does bring up...what happens if you only get 1 out of the 2...or 3? Full condition of dehydrated or does it take another day or two of partial rations (more tracking crunch though).

Mahatatain
Topic Author

Mon 10 Jun 2024, 12:16

That is a good question.

I think that reduced water consumption, but not enough to prompt the dehydrated condition, should result in some kind of penalty. Maybe using some version of the Disadvantage rule from Blade Runner would work.

Rolando

Tue 18 Jun 2024, 22:43

You may make lower water intake not as harsh as a full penalty.
As someone living in a hot, humid, tropical country I feel that you will not get that dehydrated by reducing the water.

In fact double the water ration is a bit excessive unless your are getting a lot of sun, and basic survival instinct means you will get as much shadow as you can.

But if you double the needed ration you should say that 1 ration a day is fine unless you start doing some intense physical activities, and then having less than 2 water rations may get you some penalties.

Also remember the earth a bit colder after the war.

P.D.: If the characters are not used to the climate it may be harsher though.