Topic Author

The Shire Stories - The Gamwich Misfortune

Fri 26 Apr 2024, 06:25

The Shire Stories - The Gamwich Misfortune
A Solo Roleplaying Play Report - the One Ring RPG
By Arthur Dallas
___

CHARACTERS

- Nora Whitfoot (female Hobbit) is a Northfarthing senior bounder in the region of the Gamwich Village. She is faithfull and Keen-Eyed.
- Celwin Bolger (male Hobbit) is a Northfarthing junior bounder in the region of the Gamwich Village. He is eager and inquisitive.
- Bofur Broadbeam (male Dwarf) is a blacksmith and rare metals seeker. He is seeking in the region of the Gamwich Village. He is proud and secretive.
- Pello Hartstongue (male Hobbit) is the Innkeeper of the Brimful Quiver Inn of Gamwich. He is merry and inquisitive.
- Elanor Hartstongue (old female Hobbit) is the Mother of Pello Hartstongue and the stable-master at the Brimful Quiver Inn and healer of the region. She is fair-spoken and honourable.
- Grumshak The Sneaky One (female orc) is a solitary hunter in the region of the North Moors. She is keen-eyed and vengeful.
___

IMPORTANT MATTERS TO DISCUSS

Nora Whitfoot, a seasoned bounder with a sharp eye and a kind heart, patrols the northern borders of the Shire with diligence and pride. Her home and safe haven are found in Gamwich, where the warmth of the Brimful Quiver Inn and the guidance of Elanor Hartstongue, the village's revered stable-master and healer, offer solace amidst their duties.
The reputation of Elanor's healing skills has spread far and wide, reaching even the ears of the elves from the distant Hills of Evendim. They seek her counsel not just for physical ailments but also for matters of the heart and spirit.
On this particular morning, as misty sunlight filters through the leaves of ancient trees, Nora finds herself sitting in the cozy private section of the inn with her young apprentice, Celwin Bolger. Celwin, eager and inquisitive, looks up to Nora with admiration, ready to absorb every lesson she imparts about the responsibilities of a bounder.
Elanor, fair-spoken and honorable, enters the room with a grace that commands respect. Her presence alone speaks volumes of her wisdom and influence in the village. As she takes her seat, the air seems to still, a silent acknowledgment of her authority.
"Nora, Celwin," Elanor begins in her gentle yet authoritative tone, "we have important matters to discuss today." Nora nods, her expression focused yet attentive. Celwin sits up straight, his youthful enthusiasm tempered by the seriousness of their purpose.

WE HAVE A SITUATION

In the cozy ambiance of the Brimful Quiver Inn, the group huddled around the sturdy wooden table takes on a more serious air as Pello, the innkeeper and son of Elanor Hartstongue, joins them with a troubled expression.
"We have a situation," Pello begins, his tone tinged with concern. "There's a dwarf who's gone missing from his room, and he left without settling his bill. His belongings are still there—it's quite unusual."
Elanor furrows her brow slightly, a hint of worry crossing her features. "We can't afford any trouble, especially if his family comes looking for him. Nora, Celwin, I need you to find him quickly before this becomes a problem." Nora and Celwin nod in unison, their determination evident in their expressions as they agree to the task. "We'll start right away," Nora assures them, her gaze flickering with resolve.
Pello interjects, a note of apprehension in his voice. "I hope it's not the fairies from the North Far Downs who took him. They're said to lure travelers into the mist, never to be seen again." Elanor chuckles softly, a fond smile gracing her lips as she dismisses Pello's concern. "Pello, there are no fairies taking travelers. Focus on tending to our guests; we'll handle this."
As Pello nods and heads back to attend to his duties, Elanor pulls Nora aside, her voice lowered to a whisper away from Celwin's curious ears.
"You must watch over Celwin," Elanor begins, her eyes reflecting both maternal pride and a hint of concern. "He's young, but he's destined for greater responsibilities. You will be his guide and protector, and one day, he will carry on the traditions of our village."
Nora nods solemnly, understanding the weight of Elanor's words. "I'll do my best," she promises, a sense of duty and loyalty shining in her eyes. Elanor smiles warmly, placing a reassuring hand on Nora's shoulder. "Me, you know, one day I will also have to retire, and I don't see anyone other than you in my place."
With their mission clear and their resolve steeled, Nora and Celwin set out to unravel the mystery of the missing dwarf.

BOFUR BROADBEAM

Nora and Celwin ascend the creaking stairs of the Brimful Quiver Inn, their footsteps echoing softly in the hallway as they approach the room of the missing dwarf, Bofur Broadbeam. The room, nestled at the back of the inn's second floor, bears the telltale signs of occupation—a neatly made bed for two, a small table strewn with personal effects, and a set of well-worn blacksmith's tools arranged with care.
"It seems our dwarf is indeed a blacksmith," Nora remarks, her keen eyes scanning the room for any clues. "Let's go speak with Pello; he might have more insights."
Descending to the main floor, they find Pello immersed in the bustling activity of the inn's kitchen, deftly preparing a delectable lunch for the inn's guests. A savory aroma wafts through the air, eliciting smiles from patrons enjoying their meals. As Pello serves a particularly satisfied guest, Nora seizes the opportunity to approach him. "Pello, we need to ask you a few questions about Bofur Broadbeam the dwarf. Did he have any regular habits? Did he interact with anyone in the village?"
Pello pauses briefly from his culinary duties, wiping his hands on a cloth before responding. "Ah, Bofur? Yes, he often visited Nod, our metalworker. They shared a common interest in their craft." Nora nods appreciatively. "Thank you, Pello.
Outside the inn, under the clear blue sky of the Shire, Nora and Celwin make their way to Nod's workshop. The rhythmic clang of metal against metal greets them as they approach, signaling Nod's diligent work.
Nod, a stout hobbit with a grizzled beard streaked with soot, looks up from his anvil as Nora and Celwin enter. "Greetings, Nora, Celwin. What brings you here today?" Nora wastes no time. "We're inquiring about Bofur Broadbeam. Did he mention anything unusual during his visits? Any recent concerns or plans?"
Nod furrows his brow in thought, his hammer pausing mid-strike. "Now that you mention it, Bofur seemed a tad distracted yesterday. Kept muttering about strange dreams and the mist-covered hills." Celwin leans in, his curiosity piqued. "Mist-covered hills?"
Nod nods solemnly. "Aye, he spoke of hearing whispers in the wind, beckoning him to explore the northern reaches. But dwarves are known for their wanderlust. I saw Bofur leave very early this morning with another weird guy. The guy was wearing a hood. They went north to the elven ruins. I thought nothing of it at the time." Nora exchanges a meaningful glance with Celwin. "Thank you, Nod. You've been most helpful."

HEAD NORTH IMMEDIATELY

As Nod's revelation hangs in the air like a whispered secret, Nora and Celwin's urgency intensifies. They exchange quick nods of gratitude before darting back to the comforting warmth of the Brimful Quiver Inn.
Breathless from their sprint, they burst into the inn, their eyes searching for Elanor amidst the familiar surroundings. Spotting her in a quiet corner, they rush over and quickly relay Nod's unsettling information.
Elanor's eyes widen slightly, her usually calm demeanor showing a flicker of concern. "Head north immediately, but be cautious," she advises, her voice tinged with worry for her young charges.
Nora and Celwin waste no time, their resolve fortified by Elanor's trust in their abilities. They gather their gear and set off towards the northern plains, the vast expanse of the North Moors stretching out before them.
With every step, Nora keeps a watchful eye on Celwin, guiding him through the rugged terrain with a mixture of mentorship and camaraderie. She pauses briefly, turning to face him, her expression serious yet encouraging.
"Celwin, listen closely," Nora begins, her tone firm but reassuring. "Stay alert and follow my lead. We may be walking into danger, but your skills as a tracker will guide us through." Celwin nods, a mixture of determination and nervousness in his eyes. He trusts Nora implicitly, knowing that her experience and wisdom will see them through any challenges they may face.
Leaving the familiar village road behind, Nora crouches down to examine the ground, her keen eyes scanning for any signs left by their quarry. "They passed through here," she murmurs, noting the telltale marks in the earth. "The shady figure seemed to be in a hurry, dragging Bofur along."
Realizing the distance to their destination, Nora makes a quick decision. "We must hurry, Celwin. The elven ruins are at least 24 miles away. We'll need to run if we want to reach there before nightfall."
Without hesitation, Nora and Celwin set off at a brisk pace, their determination fueling their strides as they race against time and the looming shadows that threaten to engulf the missing dwarf, Bofur Broadbeam, and his mysterious companion.

SHADOWS IN THE RUINS

As the sun begins its descent, casting long shadows over the ancient elven ruins, Nora and Celwin finally reach their destination. The day's arduous journey has taken its toll, but their determination remains steadfast as they approach the crumbling remnants of a forgotten era.
"Be cautious," Nora whispers to Celwin, her voice carrying the weight of their mission and the dangers that lie ahead. Together, they advance towards the ruins, their footsteps muffled by the soft carpet of grass underfoot.
As they draw closer, the flickering glow of a campfire catches their eyes. Silhouetted against the fading light, they spot the shady figure—a woman, unmistakably orcish—engaged in a heated exchange with Bofur Broadbeam, the missing dwarf. His form, prone on the ground, hints at injuries sustained during his captivity.
"You filthy dwarf," the orc woman snarls, her words dripping with malice. "Where are the other weapons you found?" Bofur's defiant spirit shines through despite his weakened state. "Feed me something worth eating, and maybe I'll consider it," he retorts, tossing aside his meager meal in disdain. The orc woman's eyes narrow dangerously as she brandishes a gleaming dagger. "Careful, dwarf. Push me, and you'll taste steel."
Before the confrontation escalates further, Nora and Celwin emerge from the shadows, their presence a stark interruption to the tense standoff. "Leave now, orc," Nora commands, her voice steady but firm. "You've meddled enough in our lands. Our reinforcements are arriving. You will have all the Shire after you."
Bofur seizes the opportunity, lunging towards the orc woman in a desperate bid for freedom. But his weakened state betrays him, and he stumbles, falling backward into the crackling flames of the fire.
With swift reflexes, the orc woman draws her bow, a deadly arrow aimed at Bofur. Nora acts quickly, shouting a warning as she and Celwin rush to pull Bofur from the blaze. But the arrow touches its mark.
As the orc woman retreats, Nora tends to Bofur's wounds, her heart heavy with the weight of his final words. Bofur says, "I think I found an old Angmar dagger. This orc woman, Grumshak, left with the weapon. It's well deserved for me. I had strange thoughts ever since I found the dagger. Tell my brothers I'm sorry. They are at Tighfield."
"We'll deliver your message," Nora assures Bofur, her voice gentle yet resolute. With heavy hearts, Nora and Celwin lay Bofur to rest near the ruins, a makeshift grave marking his passing. The decision to delay Bofur's return to Gamwich weighs heavily, but practicality dictates their actions. They set out, walking silently under the stars, each step a solemn tribute to the fallen dwarf.
As Celwin succumbs to sleep, Nora's thoughts drift to the comforts of home—the familiar warmth of the Brimful Quiver Inn, Elanor's wise counsel, and the peaceful serenity of Gamwich. Amidst the darkness, the image of the sun-kissed village lake brings solace, a beacon of hope in the face of uncertainty and loss.

END OF EPISODE (In Adventuring Phase)