Ebrim
Topic Author

Equal starting point random attributes

Fri 19 Apr 2024, 17:12

I like determining attributes randomly but also recognize it can feel off for one character to start off semi-permanently just “better” than another.

One way I’ve been thinking about to square this circle is the following:

Throw 8 dice: 1 is strength, 2 is constitution and so on. All attributes begin at 10 and each matching result from the dice boosts that attribute by 1. The player chooses two of the eight dice to be a subtraction instead of a boost. Finally, the key attribute of the chosen profession goes up by 2.

Obviously the number of dice thrown can be adjusted to preference but this method will introduce variation that gives “better than average” adventurers with the vanishingly rare chance that a character might end up with an 18.

Another variant to remove the need to choose would be to throw 6 dice of one color and two of another color.

paladin2019

Re: Equal starting point random attributes

Fri 19 Apr 2024, 20:08

That method is unlikely to produce any score greater than 12. If you want some randomness with controls, AD&D 2e's Method VI is a good option.
Method VI: This method can be used if you want to create a specific type of character. It does not guarantee that you will get the character you want, but it will improve your chances.

Each ability starts with a score of 8. Then roll seven dice. These dice can be added to your character's abilities as you wish. All the points on a die must be added to the same ability score. For example, if a 6 is rolled on one die, all 6 points must be assigned to one ability. You can add as many dice as you want to any ability, but no ability score can exceed 18 points. If you cannot make an 18 by exact count on the dice, you cannot have an 18 score.

Ebrim
Topic Author

Re: Equal starting point random attributes

Fri 19 Apr 2024, 22:58

That method is unlikely to produce any score greater than 12. If you want some randomness with controls, AD&D 2e's Method VI is a good option.
Method VI: This method can be used if you want to create a specific type of character. It does not guarantee that you will get the character you want, but it will improve your chances.

Each ability starts with a score of 8. Then roll seven dice. These dice can be added to your character's abilities as you wish. All the points on a die must be added to the same ability score. For example, if a 6 is rolled on one die, all 6 points must be assigned to one ability. You can add as many dice as you want to any ability, but no ability score can exceed 18 points. If you cannot make an 18 by exact count on the dice, you cannot have an 18 score.
Hey thanks.

For sure, most scores will be less than 12 but key attribute will be at least 12 in most cases.

I like method VI but you still end up with often an uneven number of “points” between PCs if I read it right. I suppose my goal, I probably said it poorly, is to give the even starting position of point-buy without the burden of choosing.