kmjii
Topic Author

Hacking parts of The One Ring's Journey mechanic into Forbidden Lands.

Tue 09 Apr 2024, 01:05

Played The One Ring solo mode last night and it was really fun. I particularly found the journey mechanic to be well implemented and was wondering if something similar could be melded into FbL, specifically the variable success rate dictating how many hexes until the next event. I'm sure it could be worked in properly no issue but I don't know a way to do it in a way that feels good.

Say party A is hiking 6 hexes to get to a village, the path they chose will take them 5 days assuming 2 quarter days of travel each day and moving through a heap of difficult terrain which will slow them down. They make the first lead the way roll and it's a success. We could go by TOR rules and say that means an encounter is rolled on the third hex and they move two hexes so no encounter. Then the next lead the way roll is a fail so... an encounter on the 5th hex? They still have to make the other lead the way rolls to check for mishaps but they're out of the woods as far as encounters go right? What if they decide to stay in a hex? How often should they get an encounter then?

If anyone has tried implementing it then I haven't been able to find it so I'd love some input and thoughts on this change.