Angelman
Topic Author

Seegson equivalent of W-Y "special orders"?

Sun 17 Mar 2024, 15:40

Hey all,

Random thought. What would be the Seegson equivalent of the Weyland-Yutani "special orders"? You know, secret orders sent to override operations in the face of a critical development, or whatever?

Specifically, I'm looking to write a scenario where Seegson sends a special order to lock down Novgorod for some secret, but probably nefarious, reason, and I want to have a scene where the PCs discover that a directive has come in over The Network to lock people out of system and remotely re-order the Working Joes for paramilitary duty. Something like that.

Do anyone know of examples from the books and comics (or Alien: Isolation perhaps?) of something like this for Seegson?

And if not... does anyone of you brilliant peoploids have any good ideas for such a thing? :)
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

DeusXLondon

Re: Seegson equivalent of W-Y "special orders"?

Sun 17 Mar 2024, 17:39

Hi, Angelman

IMC, given Seegson's tradition of W-Y but cheaper, I just have them piggy-back the secret orders on the synthetic data channel. When it gets to the relevant APOLLO mainframe via the WY FTL Network, Apollo just checks where the receiving person's P-DAT is. Then the nearest Joe tells them when they are alone, or whispers in their ear. Or for that old stool Gibsonian cyberpunk touch, have a random printer start up as they walk past, phone box rings, or a personal favourite, the fortune cookie message.

Makes for some minor paranoia amongst party members who think of Joes as dumb tools ;) I call them 'Seegson Patch Notes, encrypted Annex."

I tend to keep the messages short, as I have WY charge Seeg a $1 a word in the Middle Heavens, or a $1 a bit outside them.... This keeps them cryptic, and open to party (mis) interpretation.

Thoughts?

DX

Angelman
Topic Author

Sun 17 Mar 2024, 18:38

Good thoughts, mate.

I was specifically looking for an equivelent to "Special Order 937" text/sequence, something that I could use to trigger the players, so to speak, with a similar message for Seegson. That said, "Seegson Patch Note" is a good option; it sounds both cheap and somewhat nefariuos :)
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

ExileInParadise

Sun 17 Mar 2024, 20:53

Apollo Directive
Apollo Override
Override Directive

When did a company use the same jargon for something more than once in a row?
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

_ArthurDallas_

Mon 18 Mar 2024, 18:06

Yes,

Apollo Directive or Override or Protocol is good.

You could go with ...

The Seegson Directive or Override or Protocol ...
The Seegson Security Directive or Override or Protocol ...
The Sieg And Son Directive or Override or Protocol ....
The Interface Directive or Override or Protocol ...
The Manifesto Directive or Override or Protocol ....

P.S. The "Seegson Patch Note" is really good Deus.

Arthur.

ExileInParadise

Mon 18 Mar 2024, 18:08

Have different factions within the companies use different verbiage as a puzzle for the players to sort out
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

_ArthurDallas_

Mon 18 Mar 2024, 18:40

That's very good ExileInParadise .... ahahahah ... good thinking ....

Arthur.

Angelman
Topic Author

Mon 18 Mar 2024, 20:02

All of these are good suggestions, folks, and good food for thought :)

I am more keen on having a standardized vocabulary for this rather than using different things every time. There's something exceptionally sinister about a company having developed a specialized order/response vernacular for planned emergencies; it implies that they've been involved in this kind of thing a lot! Also, standardization suggests computerization, somehow.

Whenever my players come across a W-Y "Special Order" this or that, their kneejerk reaction is always: "Ooooh s**t! Here it comes!"
I want a similar kind of atmosphere surrounding Seegson secret orders...
Last edited by Angelman on Thu 25 Apr 2024, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

_ArthurDallas_

Mon 18 Mar 2024, 21:04

I'm gonna go with ... The Seegson Protocol 135 ...
I want some prestige and decorum with this.

Arthur.

DeusXLondon

Tue 19 Mar 2024, 09:44

HI All

Great ideas all round.

Thanks, Arthur, glad you like the idea.

Exile, I really like the different terminology per department/faction, as it usually tells you a lot about their internal power dynamics.

So my Seegson Patch Notes clearly come from the Engineering division, and everyone knows no one in Management ever reads patch notes all the way to the end ;)

Whereas Legal always skip all the way to the end to check no one has attached a weird rider clause that violates the rest of a contract, but also that Engineering hasn't over-promised (that is Sales's job). Hence 'Patch Notes' are always reviewed, given they are an implied admission that the product/synthetic/space-station wasn't quite as awesome as Sales promised.

So `Encrypted Annex' in an implied contract adjustment always ensures no one reads anything else but the executive summary, then tries to crack the encryption. Until they are informed by whichever shadowy cabal sent it that they really don't want to know. And Things a interstellar corporation's Management & Legal dept's don't want to know are always sinister...

DX