Doktor
Topic Author

Against the Unseen

Wed 13 Mar 2024, 00:18

Has there been an official source on the wording of the Virtue as I've seen people interpreting the bonus 1d to apply only to Dread sources of Shadow, and others allowing it also for Sorcery like from Undead Dreadful Spells Fell ability; the words "those rolls" seem ambiguous, at least to me, but at this point I've always played it the first way.

CaptHaddock

Re: Against the Unseen

Wed 13 Mar 2024, 02:16

I've always interpreted it the same way as you - the bonuses only apply to rolls for Dread. For me, the word "additionally" is key.

This Virtue may need further clarification on how it interacts with the 'Invisible' Fell Ability that has been reintroduced in the Moria Alpha (it was also in a pre-release version of Tales from the Lone Lands, but Houseless Wraiths were changed to an environmental hazard in the final version). According to the Invisible Fell Ability, Player-heroes lose (2d) on Awareness, Scan and Attack rolls, etc., against invisible opponents. But the Against the Unseen Virtue is described:

"Elves can perceive creatures that dwell in the wraith-world, be they spirits or ghosts, even when they are normally invisible to the eyes of the living and appear only as a chilling whisper of voices." - my emphasis.

Perhaps the Invisible Fell Ability should state that it doesn't apply to anyone with the Against the Unseen Virtue.
Blistering barnacles!

Michele

Re: Against the Unseen

Thu 28 Mar 2024, 11:38

I've always interpreted it the same way as you - the bonuses only apply to rolls for Dread. For me, the word "additionally" is key.

This Virtue may need further clarification on how it interacts with the 'Invisible' Fell Ability that has been reintroduced in the Moria Alpha (it was also in a pre-release version of Tales from the Lone Lands, but Houseless Wraiths were changed to an environmental hazard in the final version). According to the Invisible Fell Ability, Player-heroes lose (2d) on Awareness, Scan and Attack rolls, etc., against invisible opponents. But the Against the Unseen Virtue is described:

"Elves can perceive creatures that dwell in the wraith-world, be they spirits or ghosts, even when they are normally invisible to the eyes of the living and appear only as a chilling whisper of voices." - my emphasis.

Perhaps the Invisible Fell Ability should state that it doesn't apply to anyone with the Against the Unseen Virtue.

Elves can perceive invisible creatures because they can obtain the Magical success required to reveal such creatures: Against the Unseen does nothing in this regard.
It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.