PERFECTO-IGNORI
Topic Author

Sword fighter and the like

Mon 04 Mar 2024, 20:14

Do rank 1and rank 3 bonus dice stack?
So in that case a PC gets a +1d6 and +1d8 bonus on a single attack at Rank 3?

Or does the Rank 3 +1d8 bonus replaces the +1d6 bonus?

I know that p61 Talents Ranks paragraph says: "...you retain the effect of the lower rank as well.", but that little example right at the end of same paragraph *Talent Ranks*p61 seems to indicate Rank 1 and 3 don't stack... for would they not write: "If you have rank 3 in both Dragon Slayer and Sword Fighter you can add two d6 and two d8 to an attack..." if they satcked, instead of "...you can add two d8 to an attack..."

thanks for sharing your take on that
:)

Fenhorn

Re: Sword fighter and the like

Mon 04 Mar 2024, 20:30

You can use all ranks and all talents that fits the situation in a skill roll, except you can't combine two effects that costs WP, for example you can't spend WP making your melee attack bypass armour and in the same attack also spend WP to increase damage.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Dizzyfugu

Re: Sword fighter and the like

Tue 05 Mar 2024, 09:38

Following the basic rules, dice from Talents stack (e.g. Swotd Fighter Rank 2 grant and extra d6 [Rank 1] and a d8 [Rank 8]); other dice, e .g. from the weapon, are added to that pool, too.

At my table, however, and using the Reforged Power expansion and some of its (wise) suggestions, we decided to have the Rank 1 d6 replaced by the artifact dice that might be granted at higher Ranks, to avoid power escalation (we are playing with ~300XP PCs right now) - even though that single d6 on top doesn't change much, I think, because it is just a chance for a success, not a definitive bonus.