Dunheved

Re: Moria Alpha PDF Feedback

Tue 12 Mar 2024, 14:29

TYPO on page 209 (which is 213 of 227 in the pdf numbering system)

Column 1 Paragraph titled EXPERIENCE MILESTONES the second sentence reads

" When you achieve am experience milestone shown in the table below, ...."
and I suspect it should be
"When you achieve an experience milestone shown in the table below, "

QUESTION on page 213 (217 of pdf) Column 1 SELECT YOUR LEADER FOCUS has a following paragraph COMMAND
this finishes with the phrase
"If the roll fails, suffer a temporary complication: Chaos in the Ranks. "
described like this it implies a reference to another rule or comment. But I cannot find the phrase CHAOS IN THE RANKS used again in the text.

QUESTION on page 218 (222 of pdf) Column 2 Solo Journey Events: the fifth line down refers to a SKILL die. Is this a Success die (d6)?

Linklite

Tue 12 Mar 2024, 16:01

An issue in having is that certain words aren't being picked up by the find word function. For example, if I search for "Durin's Bane" (because I want the statblock) or "chaos in the ranks", it was find those words. It works fine on the other TOR PDFs but not this one. Some (most?) terms are fine, but there are certain ones. I've tried matching capitalisation it doesn't change anything, and other phrases with spaces work, so I'm bit sure what the issue is.

LucaCherstich

Wed 13 Mar 2024, 13:08

p.188 "Telchar's Secrets".

This looks like a weakened version of the High Elves' "Artificer of Eregion" virtue.

While the Elven virtue allows to do 2 things, the dwarven equivalent allows only one thing.

The dwarven version, in fact, allows only the creation of a single Enchanted Reward or Marvellous Artefact (and it is therefore a one-shot virtue) but not the bonus skill roll to study items in Fellowship phase which Rivendell' Elves have.

Was this designed on purpose or was the second ability forgotten?

Panta Rhei

Wed 13 Mar 2024, 17:26

P. 35 „Many Streams and Wells“
The descriptions of the entries of the Peril Table should be in the same order as the entries in the table. Thus, „Malice of Durin‘s Bane“ is first, „Poisoned by the Mines“ is second and so on.

coz_b

Thu 14 Mar 2024, 18:05

Posting here too as it has consequences for the fight against the Balrog:

Regarding the High Elf Cultural Virtue ‘Might of the Firstborn’, is it correct that a player may activate it multiple times in a round (ie a player is only limited by the size of their Hope pool)?

At the moment, “ping-pong” situations can occur where a Might 2 (or more) enemy activates a Fell Ability with Hate/Resolve, the High Elf cancels it with MotFB, the enemy activates another (or even the same) Fell Ability, and the High Elf cancels it. The player will always win in these situations as they have much more Hope than adversaries have Hate (and can use as many Hope points in a round as they like compared to the hard Hate-per-round limit set on adversaries).

This creates an even stranger situation when fighting the Balrog in the Moria book as currently written, with its ‘Dreadful Spells’ Fell Ability — again, the High Elf will always win in the aforementioned ping-pong situation.

Some clarification would be appreciated to help understand if MotFB is a “once per round” ability, able to be used as long as you have the Hope spare, or something else.

Antaean

Sat 16 Mar 2024, 09:36

Kingly gifts on Page 222 - these are the same as ordinary gifts, providing a1d6 bonus that cannot be used in addition to normal gifts. They seem lacklustre when taking into account they add +1 to eye awareness. Suggest altering them so they are more beneficial (for example, one idea would be to allow them to continue to be useable even if an eye is rolled when performing a skill check).

Amraphel

Tue 19 Mar 2024, 14:58

On p. 179 (which is page 183 of the PDF), in section 2992 — THE JAWS CLOSE, we are told in the final paragraph that Balin “established a throne … and was acclaimed Lord of Moria”.

However, on the same page, in the box titled A TALE OF YEARS OF BALIN’S REIGN, it says that “Balin is crowned Lord of Moria” in 2991, one year earlier.

coz_b

Wed 20 Mar 2024, 14:16

Consistency issue, p.94-95 in ‘The Last Redoubt of the Dwarves’:

“At the same time, the Last Redoubt is so well hidden that no Orc or scavenger has discovered it in a thousand years.”

But it says beforehand, “Those who fell still lie here, although a thousand years has reduced them to bare bones. Goblins have pawed through these remains, stealing anything of worth.”

Markhlam

Wed 20 Mar 2024, 18:16

I did a search and didn't find anything, so maybe it hasn't been reported yet:

TYPO, pag 54: "The Orcs of Udûun"

coz_b

Wed 20 Mar 2024, 18:57

Regarding the “I too once passed the Dimrill Gate” stretch goal — though Gandalf’s and Aragorn’s journeys through Moria are covered, the second part of the stretch goal, namely “how your players might have accompanied them” seems to be rather… minimal. It basically comes down to “Oh, they probably didn’t travel alone” and then leaves everything else up to the player to decide. I would love to see this fleshed out more, even if it was a small block detailing the distinctive features of Aragorn and Gandalf during this period, as well as some direction on their personalities. That would at least give us a little more to go off of if we wished to play out accompanying either of them.