9lives

Re: Moria Alpha PDF Feedback

Tue 05 Mar 2024, 17:03

Hi

Found another sentence that doesn’t make sense.

Pg 159 in the wailing stairs paragraph

The Stairs are the safest route to the mines currently extant, so Malech uses the stair to send Slave labourers down to dig;

9lives

Tue 05 Mar 2024, 21:02

Found a Type-o on pg 129 under the Tarloch background paragraph

He searched, his torch flickering and fading, and found a door that no-one had opened in a thousand years. With his father’s sword, he prised it open — and saw, beyond, the shadow. Durin’s Bane.

Should it say "he pried it open"

Durinul2401

Tue 05 Mar 2024, 21:25

I have seen multiple references to Durin V as the last Durin, including him listed as the father of Náin. This should be Durin VI.

dkdi3983

Wed 06 Mar 2024, 01:22

p. 147, location 2 (The Doors of Durin): Run-on sentence:
A successful SCAN test is needed to identify the spot in the cliff face where the doors lie; even then, the Ithildin inscription “sleeps until it is touched by one who speaks words now long forgotten in Middle-earth,” requires a successful CRAFT or LORE roll to read.
Suggest recasting as follows (change underlined):
A successful SCAN test is needed to identify the spot in the cliff face where the doors lie; even then, the Ithildin inscription, which “sleeps until it is touched by one who speaks words now long forgotten in Middle-earth,” requires a successful CRAFT or LORE roll to read.

dkdi3983

Wed 06 Mar 2024, 01:38

he prised it open
Should it say "he pried it open"
Both forms are correct; "prised" is more common in UK English and is thus a better fit for Tolkien, IMO.

dkdi3983

Wed 06 Mar 2024, 01:40

Found another sentence that doesn’t make sense.
Pg 159 in the wailing stairs paragraph
The Stairs are the safest route to the mines currently extant, so Malech uses the stair to send Slave labourers down to dig;
What doesn't make sense about it? It might be slightly clearer to write, "The Stairs are the safest extant route to the mines…", but I don't think the existing wording is bad.

dkdi3983

Wed 06 Mar 2024, 01:54

p. 175, The Watcher in the Water profile: As currently written, the Many Arms Fell Ability means that the Watcher can't attack at all after suffering two Wounds. Just checking that this is deliberate…

Edit: As pointed out by a later poster, I neglected the Watcher's Might of 3, so it takes four Wounds to reduce it to zero attacks. But the question remains: is the number of attacks supposed to have a minimum, or is it intended to go to zero?
Last edited by dkdi3983 on Wed 06 Mar 2024, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.

Linklite

Wed 06 Mar 2024, 03:26

p. 175, The Watcher in the Water profile: As currently written, the Many Arms Fell Ability means that the Watcher can't attack at all after suffering two Wounds. Just checking that this is deliberate…
I interpreted it differently. It says "The Watcher in the Water makes one
additional attack each round." I'd interpret that (with the film scene in mind) that each round (sans Wounds), there is an additional compared the previous round. So Round 1, it makes four attacks (Might 3+Round 1), Round 2, it makes five attacks (Might 3+Round 1+Round 2) and so forth. This is the Watcher bringing another "arm" to bear.

Therefore, each time you Wound it, it reduces the number of attacks by 1. So if in the previous example you manage to Wound it in Round 3 during the PH's turn, it will still only do five attacks (it would have done six). If you Wounded it twice, it would go down to four.

Although, I think it's not clear from "one additional attack" whether it's additional to it's normal attacks (ie it actually does four until it is Wounded) or additional to the previous round, as I expounded earlier, so it could benefit from clarification. Personally, I think my interpretation is the intended one, as that fits the scene we see, at least in the films.

gyrovague

Wed 06 Mar 2024, 06:56

Should the table on page 52 say that West Moria is "uncontested" or "contested"?

Leuwart

Wed 06 Mar 2024, 09:36

I interpreted it differently. It says "The Watcher in the Water makes one
additional attack each round." I'd interpret that (with the film scene in mind) that each round (sans Wounds), there is an additional compared the previous round. So Round 1, it makes four attacks (Might 3+Round 1), Round 2, it makes five attacks (Might 3+Round 1+Round 2) and so forth. This is the Watcher bringing another "arm" to bear.

Therefore, each time you Wound it, it reduces the number of attacks by 1. So if in the previous example you manage to Wound it in Round 3 during the PH's turn, it will still only do five attacks (it would have done six). If you Wounded it twice, it would go down to four.

Although, I think it's not clear from "one additional attack" whether it's additional to it's normal attacks (ie it actually does four until it is Wounded) or additional to the previous round, as I expounded earlier, so it could benefit from clarification. Personally, I think my interpretation is the intended one, as that fits the scene we see, at least in the films.

I read this differently: normally he would have 3 attacks due to Might 3. Many Arms grants 1 additional attack to a total of 4. Each wound reduces the number per one. So yes, after 4 wounds it can’t attack anymore theoretically, but since it is already defeated after 3 wounds (Might 3), it has other problems to worry about.

The Watcher has no Fell Ability to ignore wounds. But it has Hideous Toughness, so wounding it is the only way to defeat it. For me that means wounds work normally.