Rasczak76
Topic Author

Halberd Is it a Long weapon or a heavy weapon?

Tue 13 Feb 2024, 07:59

I have a player arguing the text with me on Halberd. So is there any official guidance that says Halberd is not a Heavy weapon. In the weapon descriptions it refers to a pole axe as a type of heavy weapon. On pg 148 of the rules, "Pole axe, warhammer and
the mighty great sword are all examples of heavy weapons common in the Davokar region."
Then on pg 149 it states "The halberd, known as the pole axe among barbarians, has elements of both the Long And the Heavy weapon"

But where it seems to matter to me most is that Halberd is a Long weapon, with the Deep Impact ability (Which is the element of Heavy weapon for me).
So should I let him apply heavy weapon abilities to it and long weapon abilities or just long weapon abilities. I am not truly keen on both unless that is the guidance.

Sophie2000

Re: Halberd Is it a Long weapon or a heavy weapon?

Wed 14 Feb 2024, 02:41

I’d say it depends on how the Halberd is used . If it’s used in conjunction with a shield then it’s a long weapon because in can only be thrusted like a spear . Without a shield it can be used in two ways , either like a spear and is a long weapon or swung like a heavy weapon . In the middle ages it was used without a shield and was used for both thrusting and chopping in melee so I’d say without a shield it could be either . Maybe players could declare how they use it each turn of combat and deep impact only comes into play when used in a swinging attack but would lose its long weapon status because it’s held much closer to the blade

Falenthal

Re: Halberd Is it a Long weapon or a heavy weapon?

Wed 14 Feb 2024, 11:24

I haven't had time to look strictly at the halberd and the details of the question. But there are some weapons (Bastard sword is the main example) that are versatile and can be used two ways, changing their Qualities.
For example, if you read the bastard sword's description, depending whether it is used one handed or two-handed, it acquires or loses some Qualities and even the damage changes. It is then considered a One-handed weapon or a Heavy weapon, and can benefit from different Abilities, although not at the same time.