aramis
Topic Author

Encumbrance of excess weapons? Unworn Armor?

Sun 11 Feb 2024, 15:53

I note from the rules that the first 3 don't count... but I've two players with 4-6 weapons (and placed in ways I can legitimately see as reasonable for drawing from).

The simplest case being the bandolier of 6 knives. Another has sword, shield, dagger, and spear...

Likewise, what's the enc of unworn armor?

I'm hoping I missed it in the rules.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

finarvyn

Re: Encumbrance of excess weapons? Unworn Armor?

Sun 11 Feb 2024, 16:07

I think that the rules were intentionally left light and a little vague so that a GM could interpret them without a thick rulebook. I would tack on a small encumbrance for each extra item. (Particularly in the case of carrying a set of unworn armor.)

While the rules assume that carrying an extra dagger is a freebie, one could easily say that a bandolier of daggers is a larger item perhaps the size of a grappling hook. Weight of a grappling hook is 1, so I would go with that. As to the armor, a small tent has a weight of 2 and armor is both bulky and has some weight so I would go with 2.

Common sense trumps specific numbers in a chart, IMO.
Marv / Finarvyn
Fell in love with Tales from The Loop, Vaesen, 5E LotRR ... Now hooked on Dragonbane, which still should be called Drakar och Demoner IMO. Played OD&D since 1975..

VorpalMace

Tue 13 Feb 2024, 15:17

Yeah, "if no weight is specified, it is always 1." doesn't make much sense in many cases. Dragonbane's encumbrance system goes back to RuneQuest by the way, which said:

Any item which can be held easily in one hand (a sword, a rock, an axe, a rope, etc.) is considered to be a “thing.” There are just so many things a person can carry before the weight and/or awkwardness of the load makes it impossible for him to move and act normally. Objects which need to be carried in two hands (i.e., a spear), on one arm (i.e., a large sack or a shield), or in more than one piece (i.e., a bow and quiver of arrows) are considered to be worth two or more “things.”

RQ has piecemeal armour though, but the original BRP and the Magic World booklet (which the first edition of Drakar och Demoner was based on) used 1 ENC per 1 AP for armour. Do note, that max. ENC before you start applying penalties was (STR+CON)/2 or STR in these games.

aramis
Topic Author

Thu 15 Feb 2024, 15:23

I think, then, it's going to be
Armor: Enc = AV unless worn - to prevent people hoarding it. (which they already are, given the not-quite TPK last session.)
excess Weapons: Long =2, most others 1, daggers only 1 for a brace of up to 6; slings none.
I made a call tonight that the backpack itself holds 4 enc of stuff; the rest is on-body...

I'd still prefer an official answer.

Having looked at RQ 3 after game tonight... it's got a nasty use of enc... But it also has higher armor values... and Enc is a combination of armor value and wearer's size... (as is price)(RQ 3e, B1, p. 66.
Rather than clear limits, Total Enc reduces max fatigue, and Dodge (ibid., pp 43—44 & 49); Armor and weapons (but not others) reduces stealth as well (ibid. p 66), 1% per each point of Enc for skills...

Tomas
Site Admin

Thu 15 Feb 2024, 16:21

I note from the rules that the first 3 don't count... but I've two players with 4-6 weapons (and placed in ways I can legitimately see as reasonable for drawing from).

The simplest case being the bandolier of 6 knives. Another has sword, shield, dagger, and spear...

Hello! Worn armor (one piece of armor + one helmet) and weapons at hand (up to three) don't count toward encumbrance. Any further weapons and pieces of armor count as one (regular) item each.
Fria Ligan

aramis
Topic Author

Fri 16 Feb 2024, 11:29

Hello! Worn armor (one piece of armor + one helmet) and weapons at hand (up to three) don't count toward encumbrance. Any further weapons and pieces of armor count as one (regular) item each.
Thank-you, sir!

VorpalMace

Wed 21 Feb 2024, 12:33

I will keep my house rules. A suit of plate armour having the same ENC as a magnifying glass or lockpick doesn't do it for me.

aramis
Topic Author

Wed 20 Mar 2024, 09:57

I'll be honest, I dislike that Plate and Chain count the same as a 4th sword, too, @VorpalMace.
But I'm not one to house-rule mid campaign. And I don't house rule lightly; if I were, I'd simply have used the RQ3 encumbrance rules.