arnauddecharbo
Topic Author

Wounded + 0 Endurance : dying ?

Mon 05 Feb 2024, 22:51

HI here,

I'm Arnaud, from France.

I have a question about wounded Heros. Say a Heros has a single Wound and get normal damage from attack with (say) 3 damages, putting him at 0 Endurance (no special damage here).
- Is he now considered to be dying (as if he received a 2nd wound) ?
or
*- Does he simply fell unconscious (the same than if he was not wounded at all) but wont recover in 1 hour (with 1 Endurance point) but with longer time (how long then ?)

As I understand, 1st edition applied the 1st proposal but as I understand the 2nd Ed rule book, this is not explicitlly written as this so the 2nd proposal shoul apply...

Thanks for any official rulling.

Arnaud

Hornbach

Re: Wounded + 0 Endurance : dying ?

Tue 06 Feb 2024, 00:54

This is not an official answer (I look forward to hearing one myself), but I strongly suspect that when Core Rules p. 101 says, "Player-heroes who are wounded a second time (they receive a Wound when their Wounded box was already checked) see their Endurance drop to zero, they fall unconscious and are now Dying", there is supposed to be an "or" in there, so that it will say,

"Player-heroes who are wounded a second time (they receive a Wound when their Wounded box was already checked) OR see their Endurance drop to zero, they fall unconscious and are now Dying."

If this is the case, your first proposal would seem to be accurate.

I don't understand what the basis in the text there would be for the second proposal - specifically that the player-hero would be unconscious for a longer time....

Linklite

Thu 08 Feb 2024, 00:34

Dropping to zero endurance does not cause a Wound and does not interact with it (see sidebar "Serious Injuries", p71). You'll have already rolled the severity of the Wound when you received it, that remains the same. You just fall unconscious (p98) and wake up an hour later with 1 Endurance (I can't find where it specifies this, but it's mentioned under "Dying Heroes" on p101. If I find a more direct reference, I'll post it).

Linklite

Thu 08 Feb 2024, 01:14

P69 describes what happens when you've dropped to zero Endurance, that you wake up one hour later with 1 Endurance.

arnauddecharbo
Topic Author

Thu 08 Feb 2024, 11:20

P69 describes what happens when you've dropped to zero Endurance, that you wake up one hour later with 1 Endurance.
Thanks.

The problem of understanding comes from this sentence :
"Player Heroes whose Endurance is reduced to zeo drop unconscious, and wake up after one hour with 1 endurance point (unless they are also Wounded, see Wounds, page 101"
the commas part (unless...) is confusing, on that sense that this is not clear to which part of the sentence it applies :
  • all of this, thus the 0 reduction going to unconsiousness state
  • only on the duration of 1 hour before awaking
P101, there is nothing that answer the question, so most game masters around me claim that this means the 0 endurance only apply to not wounded heroes and in doubt, apply the V1 rule saying that a wounded heros being at 0 Endurance is now dying.

And the two possibilites are claimed to be a "rule interpretation", which lead us to nowhere !

This is why I asked for an official answer to cut the debate.

Arnaud

Hornbach

Fri 09 Feb 2024, 19:37

Yes - "unless they are also wounded see Wounds p. 101". Then you go to "Wounds" on page 101, and it says "Player-heroes who are wounded a second time (they
receive a Wound when their Wounded box was already checked) see their Endurance drop to zero, they fall unconscious and are now Dying." The "unless they are also wounded" on pg 69 doesn't seem to make sense unless there is supposed to be an "or" in the description on page 101.

Maybe I am missing something, though.

arnauddecharbo
Topic Author

Fri 09 Feb 2024, 19:52

Yes - "unless they are also wounded see Wounds p. 101". Then you go to "Wounds" on page 101, and it says "Player-heroes who are wounded a second time (they
receive a Wound when their Wounded box was already checked) see their Endurance drop to zero, they fall unconscious and are now Dying." The "unless they are also wounded" on pg 69 doesn't seem to make sense unless there is supposed to be an "or" in the description on page 101.

Maybe I am missing something, though.
I can't stop believing that if an "or" was missing from the beginning, there would have been an errata for such an important typo.

But just my 2 cents ...

Arnaud

Ninchilla

Sat 10 Feb 2024, 11:41

Adding an "or" makes the sentence on page 101 make less sense, to my mind; remove the bit in brackets and you get, "Player-heroes who receive a second wound... or see their Endurance reduced to zero, they drop unconscious and are now dying", which has an extraneous "they".

My reading of p69 is that being wounded should affect the recovery, not the loss of Endurance.

EDIT: in fact, under the subheading "Dying Heroes" it even specifies that: "Heroes are considered to be Dying if they are Wounded twice, or if they roll an <eye> on their Wound severity roll (or as the result of some sources of injury — see page 133)." That's it. Being at zero Endurance while wounded would surely be included on that list if it was intended to mean they were Dying.

EDIT 2: There's also the" Serious Injuries" boxout on p71 (seriously, why isn't this just summarised in one place!?), which says: "Endurance loss should not be confused with being Wounded. While being hit in combat results in a loss of Endurance, adventurers are only at risk of death when hit by a Piercing Blow..."

Linklite

Sat 10 Feb 2024, 17:14

It says "unless you are also wounded" because if you're wounded at the same time, then there are extra steps (you have to resolve the wound severity if it's the first, or you're dying and don't regain consciousness if it's the second).

You don't get a wound from dropping to zero endurance. I won't repeat the references, but the process is described above. You get wounds from wound severity rolls, and they're triggered by protection rolls (mostly), not from dropping to zero endurance.

Ghorin

Sat 10 Feb 2024, 18:10

Hi
I have asked the question to Francesco Nepitello who, very nicely, took time to answer.

My question was :
What happens if a hero who is already wounded gets his Endurance falling to zero ?
1) The hero is now in the same health state than described in page 101 : Wounded and Endurance = 0 ==> he's dying
2) The hero isn't in the health state described in page 101 as he didn't get 2 wounds. Thus he's as described in page 69 : he falls inconscious and will wake up later with 1pt of Endurance.
His answer was :
Answer 2 is correct.
If you are Wounded (once) and drop to zero End, you become unconscious (the same happens if you’re not wounded).
And thus you wake up after 1 hour with End 1.
It’s not technically resting.
Returning to End 1 indicates just that you’re not dead, and you are awake.