ArkoblaConn
Topic Author

New Loremaster questions (yes, open to everyone)

Fri 19 Jan 2024, 17:15

Hi all - I just ran my first session of the One Ring last night and we had fun. I also just discovered this forum, so forgive me if I ask questions already answered elsewhere, I've got a lot of catching up to do.

I was going to run the Troll adventure from the newest book (In English) and when I did a test combat with them, I realized they would demolish the players. How long will it take to get players to a level where they can do that adventure? (Yes, I know that initially they are trying to capture....Sill...)

On the Journey phase, the fate die on the travel roll by the guide determines the number of hexes moved? Is there a maximum or can they really travel 10 hexes? (on failure its 1 or 2 hexes depending on season). That doesn't seem right.

[On my players first Journey roll, they failed. Do I use the fate die OF THAT ROLL to determine the result, or do I roll it again? I used that roll, but in retrospect, they would never have gotten a gandalf rune, as that would mean they had succeeded in the travel roll...correct?. As it happens, that roll was a sauron eye, and indicated a wound.]

I searched for healing and couldn't find it in the moment, but what did the healing roll, which was successful, with a 6 rolled, mean? I had previously said the lookout had stepped in a gopher hole and might have broken his leg...but a successful healing roll determined it was only twisted. IS this right? Should I have taken the wound away? Should I rolled on the severity chart??

1 day out of Bree this happened, my group almost decided to walk back to bree and rest up before starting fresh... this is kinda why I adjudicated the heal labove as I did....

At what point do I use the tables when traveling? (I'm looking at the table for traveling the green way in the core rulebook) It states - 'when they see something and want to investigate... but nothing in the Journey routine tells me that they saw something....so if they look for something, do I roll? Or do I just place, but then why do I need to roll, if I know what's there??

Fatigue points. I had them deliver a message to someone in Tharbad from Bree. Along the way they had 2 events, and accumulated 5 fatigue points. I struggled again to see how fatigue was recovered. Its very clear how endurance is recovered, and hope - but I couldn't find fatigue recovery. For expediancy sake, I said resting at the Inn did them wonders and they recovered. But I need to figure that out.

I did have a first combat with the group and that went fairly well. i think I know/understand straightforward combat... But getting back to the Troll adventure and specicifically, the ambush, the text reads - one troll will be at either end of the chasm and the other will wade in. How do we figure out a rearward stance if there is no rear? I *think* that the combat stances would push some to one troll, some to the other on either end...and perhaps another with the third troll if a third is used...allowing the 4th PC to stand back, in the proverbial center. My fear is that the abstract combat, coupled with VERY specific tactics as written, will make some encounters seem...off. Unsure here. Thougthts?

In combat, I think it says you can chooses the same special action upon rolling 6's or different ones. IE - Heavy Blow and Fend off. two heavy blows kinda works ok, but how do two pierces work? Does the opponent have to roll twice to defend two pierces?

The rules state that axes can't do pierce, but then why does the axe have a injury value??

I think thats it...

Thanks,

Arkobla

Redcoat

Re: New Loremaster questions (yes, open to everyone)

Sat 20 Jan 2024, 18:34

I ran my players through the shire adventures and then the Star of the mist from the Core book to get them to 3rd level before we did the Troll hole. You are correct, that one probably can't be done by 1st level players unless they have some NPC help.

JLandan

Sat 20 Jan 2024, 22:45

I don't have the TOR version, but in the LotRR 5e version, Tales of Eriador, this adventure is labelled as 3rd to 5th level. So a minimum of 3rd level for Heroes doing this adventure. How are the TOR version labelled?

AndrewTBP

Sun 21 Jan 2024, 03:01

There are no levels on TOR at all, in the rules or the adventures. I played a 1e game and fighting a Troll wasn’t contemplated, we always resorted to trickery.

Sebastian

Sun 21 Jan 2024, 15:42

When my players played that adventure they were quite experienced, but even they did not fight the trolls, but instead tricked them. Generally speaking TOR doesn’t use „levels“. So if you are up against trolls, you should inform your group that a fight could be deadly. But that’s the case even for experienced heroes, since neither Endurance nor Parry go up much. With a high combat proficiency you can go into Defensive Stance to give an opponent-1d, but that’s about it.

Healing works differently than in most other games. You roll, and on a success you need one day less to recover from a wound. Ever 6 is one less day for the injury.

The travel roll on the guide defines, how far the group gets without an event. A success means 3 hexes, an extra 6 adds one hex. A failure means it happens 2 hexes away.

Harlath

Sun 21 Jan 2024, 23:43

"I was going to run the Troll adventure from the newest book (In English) and when I did a test combat with them, I realized they would demolish the players. How long will it take to get players to a level where they can do that adventure? (Yes, I know that initially they are trying to capture....Sill...)"

- Varies by group. Some starting with good combat attributes and combat proficiency 3 could manage it at the start! Plus trickery, stealth and the sun can all help here, doesn't have to be a direct approach.

"On the Journey phase, the fate die on the travel roll by the guide determines the number of hexes moved? Is there a maximum or can they really travel 10 hexes? (on failure its 1 or 2 hexes depending on season). That doesn't seem right."

- I'd reread the journey rules. The marching test (if successful) generally moves you 3 hexes (plus an extra hex per 6) at which point you'll have an event that causes fatigue and possibly other -ve/+ve consequence due to they journey event's skill test and whether it passes/fails.

"[On my players first Journey roll, they failed. Do I use the fate die OF THAT ROLL to determine the result, or do I roll it again? I used that roll, but in retrospect, they would never have gotten a gandalf rune, as that would mean they had succeeded in the travel roll...correct?. As it happens, that roll was a sauron eye, and indicated a wound.]"

- You roll separately from the marching test. After the marching test, the loremaster does a journey event roll (normal, favoured or ill favoured, based on the hex being moved through).
- They PC should only be wounded if they failed the accompanying skill test by the Scout/Look-out/Hunter.

"I searched for healing and couldn't find it in the moment, but what did the healing roll, which was successful, with a 6 rolled, mean? I had previously said the lookout had stepped in a gopher hole and might have broken his leg...but a successful healing roll determined it was only twisted. IS this right? Should I have taken the wound away? Should I rolled on the severity chart??"

- Healing roll reduces injury severity by one day, plus an extra day per 6.

"At what point do I use the tables when traveling? (I'm looking at the table for traveling the green way in the core rulebook) It states - 'when they see something and want to investigate... but nothing in the Journey routine tells me that they saw something....so if they look for something, do I roll? Or do I just place, but then why do I need to roll, if I know what's there??"

- I use one of these per journey as a complement to the normal journey events, not as a replacement.

"Fatigue points. I had them deliver a message to someone in Tharbad from Bree. Along the way they had 2 events, and accumulated 5 fatigue points. I struggled again to see how fatigue was recovered. Its very clear how endurance is recovered, and hope - but I couldn't find fatigue recovery. For expediancy sake, I said resting at the Inn did them wonders and they recovered. But I need to figure that out."

- p111 of the core rulebook. Travel rolls, good mounts and resting all reduce fatigue.

"In combat, I think it says you can chooses the same special action upon rolling 6's or different ones. IE - Heavy Blow and Fend off. two heavy blows kinda works ok, but how do two pierces work? Does the opponent have to roll twice to defend two pierces?"

- You can choose the same special damage option multiple times, as the rulebook says. You might choose pierce twice, if for example your spear feat die result was a 4: one +3 from pierce only gets you to 7, but two gets you to 10 and therefore a piercing blow.

"The rules state that axes can't do pierce, but then why does the axe have a injury value??"

- Axes can cause a piercing blow (10 or Gandalf on feat die). They just can't use the Pierce special damage option, where you use a 6 on a success die to increase your feat die roll to try to cause a piercing blow.

Hope this helps! Will try to handle your combat question at some points this week.

Linklite

Mon 22 Jan 2024, 00:20

...I did have a first combat with the group and that went fairly well. i think I know/understand straightforward combat... But getting back to the Troll adventure and specicifically, the ambush, the text reads - one troll will be at either end of the chasm and the other will wade in. How do we figure out a rearward stance if there is no rear? I *think* that the combat stances would push some to one troll, some to the other on either end...and perhaps another with the third troll if a third is used...allowing the 4th PC to stand back, in the proverbial center. My fear is that the abstract combat, coupled with VERY specific tactics as written, will make some encounters seem...off. Unsure here. Thougthts?...
You seem to be conflating using a spatial map like a grid and using abstract combat. However, if you want to know how to visualise it, let's say Troll A comes down the canyon from the west, Troll B comes down from the east, with Alex, Bob, Charlie and Dave in between. Alex and Bob might engage Troll A in the western flank in Forward/Open/Defensive, Charlie might engage Troll B on the eastern flank in f/o/d, while Dave stands between them in Rearward. Alternatively, he might be using a boulder for cover off to one side (which makes changing engagements easier to explain).