Stealthy_Llama
Topic Author

[Moved] Balanced combat encounters

Wed 17 Jan 2024, 18:33

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have guidance for creating balanced combat encounters? Or can you direct me to a rulebook reference that discusses that?

Thank you!

Moderator Action: Moved the thread to a more appropriate location.

Fenhorn

Re: Balanced combat encounters

Wed 17 Jan 2024, 18:38

p.140 Fine-Tuning The Opposition

edit:
To add more to this. A balanced encounter is normally done by matching the number of NPCs with the number of PCs. The PCs usually have an advantage, so such encounter most often means that the PCs will win but it will cost them some MPs. When it comes to monster, then matching the combined strength of the PCs can be an indicator but here the number will also be a factor and if the monster have any special abilities. Normally a PC with a combined strength of 14 (for example) will have no problem fighting a monster with strength 14 as long as the PCs outnumber the monsters, so when it comes to monster, a more balanced encounter would mean a monster with slightly more strength than the PCs have.

But to this, balancing is not that important. Players should learn that the zone is dangerous and to flee is a valid option.

One method you can use if you feel uncomfortable of improvising this on the fly when you play is to let the threat roll decide. Any threat roll with a BIO (1) indicates that the sector has a threat (this is RAW). If you roll two BIO, then the sector has two threats or one stronger threat. Exactly what this means depends on what the first threat you rolled up is. If there are four PCs in the group, two BIO rolled could mean that there are eight enemies there or monsters with a combined strength of slightly more than double than what the PCs have. Not all these enemies needs to be encountered at the same time. The PCs could for example encounter three to five wild mutants but also finds tracks that there are more of them nearby and you as the GM can throw the rest in whenever you like, if the PCs stay in the sector. And yes, if you roll three BIO, then there are three threats. The threats can also be different threats. It could be a small group of wild mutants and a stray robot. With the PCs, that could mean a Mexican stand-off.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Stealthy_Llama
Topic Author

Re: [Moved] Balanced combat encounters

Thu 18 Jan 2024, 02:42

Thank you! I appreciate the reference and the guidance. I understand that sometimes encounters can, and should, be insurmountable, and players should always consider retreat a viable option. Generally speaking though, I want to have a sense of how my players will measure up to a combat encounter before it starts, so this will be a big help to keep in mind.