Odbardaw

Re: The One Ring Core Rules – Official Errata

Thu 18 Jan 2024, 23:14

Hello!
A number of clarifications and corrections have been made in the third printing of the The One Ring core rules. The PDF has been updated in DrivethruRPG (you should be able to update your library to access it there), and a full errata PDF listing all changes from the first printing can be found here.
Does it mean there's new printing of core rules available in FL shop?

morganhua

Sat 20 Jan 2024, 23:19

The errata has a typo on p.2:
PAGE 102: "Replace the first paragraphs with the following:
If the Loremaster deems it appropriate, a Player-hero
can make a BATTLE roll as their main action for the
round to impose o remove a complication or to gain
an advantage, based on the description of the battlefield and the tactical choices of the combatants."

should be "impose or remove"

I found this typo is in the 3rd printing pdf also.

Antalon

Sun 21 Jan 2024, 17:12

The errata has a typo on p.2:
PAGE 102: "Replace the first paragraphs with the following:
If the Loremaster deems it appropriate, a Player-hero
can make a BATTLE roll as their main action for the
round to impose o remove a complication or to gain
an advantage, based on the description of the battlefield and the tactical choices of the combatants."

should be "impose or remove"

I found this typo is in the 3rd printing pdf also.

Yes, this jumped out at me too. I hope the files have not gone to the printers!

Ferretz

Sun 21 Jan 2024, 22:25

Hello!
A number of clarifications and corrections have been made in the third printing of the The One Ring core rules. The PDF has been updated in DrivethruRPG (you should be able to update your library to access it there), and a full errata PDF listing all changes from the first printing can be found here.
Does it mean there's new printing of core rules available in FL shop?
I'm also interested in knowing this. I want to order the 3rd printing as soon as it is available.

Tobnac

Wed 06 Mar 2024, 08:26

Please help me understand. I just need some clarifications, please.

”P 95: Surprised enemies no longer cannot take actions in the first Close Quarters Round. Instead, they now lose (1d) on all combat rolls in the first Close Quarters Round.”
What is the reason behind the change? Was the original rule unbalanced? Please explain why this rule was changed.

”P 96: The following paragraph is removed:
Engaged combatants remain as such until their opposition is defeated, or until they leave combat.
This means that Player-heroes can now ignore engagement (but not other limitations) when selecting their combat stance (including Rearward) at the start of each round.”

I don’t understand. Please explain what actually has changed. (I’m not sure I understood the original rule either.)

Michele

Wed 06 Mar 2024, 17:49

”P 95: Surprised enemies no longer cannot take actions in the first Close Quarters Round. Instead, they now lose (1d) on all combat rolls in the first Close Quarters Round.”
What is the reason behind the change? Was the original rule unbalanced? Please explain why this rule was changed.

Engaged combatants remain as such until their opposition is defeated, or until they leave combat.
This means that Player-heroes can now ignore engagement (but not other limitations) when selecting their combat stance (including Rearward) at the start of each round.”

I don’t understand. Please explain what actually has changed. (I’m not sure I understood the original rule either.)

Basically nothing in terms of how engagement is ruled, except that you can now assume Rearward stance even if at the start of a round you're still engaged with an opponent (thus effectively disengaging yourself).

Previously, it was unclear (at best) whether you could assume Rearward while engaged or not, because that would make you unengaged (thus contradicting the paragraph that has been removed).
It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Linklite

Wed 06 Mar 2024, 18:30

Nothing official been said so far as I'm aware, but it used to be every unbalanced. On a successful ambush, you'd have, per player:
  • An unopposed volley.
  • Depending on the judgement of the LM, potentially a second unopposed volley.
  • A full round unopposed.
  • A Second full round.
  • Finally, the adversaries can actually respond.
Most combats shouldn't really last much more than three rounds, and you're getting at least halfway if not the whole combat in without there being an answering attack - three or four attacks on them. Thanks to the way the dice system works, later on in the game, it's fairly reliable to get the checks necessary to set up an ambush...it's unbalanced.

An ambush is still pretty powerful - unopposed volleys, and losing 1d is likely to make the opponents miss very often, but at least they have a shot (or alternatively, they'll spend Hate to get the 1d back, which is also a win for the players).

Danidragon93

Wed 06 Mar 2024, 19:13

Basically nothing in terms of how engagement is ruled, except that you can now assume Rearward stance even if at the start of a round you're still engaged with an opponent (thus effectively disengaging yourself).

Previously, it was unclear (at best) whether you could assume Rearward while engaged or not, because that would make you unengaged (thus contradicting the paragraph that has been removed).

so does a player in melee have to remain engaged with an enemy or can he change engagement freely whenever he wants? (going against other enemies in melee or exchanging it with an ally for example)

Tobnac

Wed 06 Mar 2024, 20:33

Thank you, Linklite, I hadn't thought of that. I concur.
Nothing official been said so far as I'm aware, but it used to be every unbalanced. On a successful ambush, you'd have, per player:
  • An unopposed volley.
  • Depending on the judgement of the LM, potentially a second unopposed volley.
  • A full round unopposed.
  • A Second full round.
  • Finally, the adversaries can actually respond.
Most combats shouldn't really last much more than three rounds, and you're getting at least halfway if not the whole combat in without there being an answering attack - three or four attacks on them. Thanks to the way the dice system works, later on in the game, it's fairly reliable to get the checks necessary to set up an ambush...it's unbalanced.

An ambush is still pretty powerful - unopposed volleys, and losing 1d is likely to make the opponents miss very often, but at least they have a shot (or alternatively, they'll spend Hate to get the 1d back, which is also a win for the players).

Tobnac

Wed 06 Mar 2024, 20:37

Thank you Michele, that was very helpful. Perfect!