coz_b

Re: The One Ring Core Rules – Official Errata

Mon 11 Mar 2024, 22:55

Regarding the High Elf Cultural Virtue ‘Might of the Firstborn’, is it correct that a player may activate it multiple times in a round?

At the moment, “ping-pong” situations can occur where a Might 2 (or more) enemy activates a Fell Ability with Hate/Resolve, the High Elf cancels it with MotFB, the enemy activates another (or even the same) Fell Ability, and the High Elf cancels it. The player will always win in these situations as they have much more Hope than adversaries have Hate (and can use as many Hope points in a round as they like compared to the hard limit set on adversaries).

This creates an even stranger situation when fighting the Balrog in the Moria book as currently written, with its ‘Dreadful Spells’ Fell Ability.

Some clarification would be appreciated to help understand if MotFB is a “once per round” ability, able to be used as long as you have the Hope spare, or something else.

Linklite

Tue 12 Mar 2024, 16:10

To be fair, your typical Elf is going to have limited Hope that needs to be stretched over three adventures, so spending it all on trying to force a Fell Ability is normally not viable. The Balrog does raise this issue given how much of a danger it is and so the need to keep a lid on it.

CaptHaddock

Tue 12 Mar 2024, 16:22

Regarding the High Elf Cultural Virtue ‘Might of the Firstborn’, is it correct that a player may activate it multiple times in a round?

At the moment, “ping-pong” situations can occur where a Might 2 (or more) enemy activates a Fell Ability with Hate/Resolve, the High Elf cancels it with MotFB, the enemy activates another (or even the same) Fell Ability, and the High Elf cancels it. The player will always win in these situations as they have much more Hope than adversaries have Hate (and can use as many Hope points in a round as they like compared to the hard limit set on adversaries).

This creates an even stranger situation when fighting the Balrog in the Moria book as currently written, with its ‘Dreadful Spells’ Fell Ability.

Some clarification would be appreciated to help understand if MotFB is a “once per round” ability, able to be used as long as you have the Hope spare, or something else.
I think the Cultural Virtue is OK as written and a player should be able to activate it as long as they have Hope to spend. High Elves don't have a lot of Hope (between 8 and 11 to start with, and the upper limit only if they add 1 to their Heart Attribute at character creation), so they have to think carefully about how they spend it.

Your example of fighting the Balrog reminds me of the passage in Fellowship of the Ring, where Gandalf is describing their contest when he was trying to seal the door from the Chamber of Mazarbul. Gandalf tries to put a shutting-spell on the door (spend 1 Hope for Magical Success), the Balrog uses its Dreadful Spell to counter this (spend 1 Hate), Gandalf uses a Word of Command (spend 1 Hope for Might of the First-born), the Balrog uses another counter-spell (spend another Hate) and the Loremaster finally gets bored and has the door explode :D
Blistering barnacles!

Felipe Guedes

Wed 03 Apr 2024, 18:19

ATHLETICS to Protect Companion?
Isn't this change strange? Battle is a skill that cannot be left out of a combat task.

Linklite

Wed 03 Apr 2024, 18:36

Isn't this change strange? Battle is a skill that cannot be left out of a combat task.
Battle is used for gaining Advantages or eliminating Complications. To stop it being even more OP, they've made Protect Companion performed by Athletics instead.

coz_b

Fri 05 Apr 2024, 01:07

Yes — a few of us on the Discord disagree with the change.

Athletics already has a multitude of uses (while also being a STRENGTH skill), while Battle is very limited in its applications (while being a HEART skill). The changes to Advantages/Complications that has been introduced doesn’t help argue the case either, as Battle has been nerfed there too for some reason (this wasn’t an issue I and others experienced during play).

Battle has lost a lot of its appeal, and isn’t a skill I bother with any more, personally, as it’s applications outside of combat are limited.

Antaean

Sat 13 Apr 2024, 06:43

Battle has lost a lot of its appeal, and isn’t a skill I bother with any more, personally, as it’s applications outside of combat are limited.

I agree. The new changes to advantage/complication are poor. In addition, the change from BATTLE to ATHLETICS (the latter being a skill with many uses already) means that BATTLE is a skill I (and people I play with) completely ignore now, which is a shame.

It seems to me the issue with advantage/complication could've easily been resolved by keeping it as it was and limiting it to a maximum 1d bonus.